So, your subconscious is saying, sell the kids and buy a Moog One :thinking:

6 Likes

You became a zen master ! I wish I have your strenght ! :slight_smile:

I’m getting better at that game…

It is a drug: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine

4 Likes

If I sell the kids, I can purchase 2 Moog Ones. :blush:

2 Likes

I’d have to put at least two Moog Ones on top to get rid of mine.

DISCLAIMER: JUST KIDDING. There is nothing I wouldn’t do for my kids and I consider raising them the single most important thing I ever have done and ever will do.

7 Likes

Nailed it. One day a device will be released as though I had fully designed and built every aspect of it and I’ll be in heaven. Until then, I’ve mostly managed to stop my inner demons trying to convince myself that unit X will make a huge difference. It’s all bullshit - buying more stuff usually makes me more frustrated down the road as it never brought the gains I was hoping for!

1 Like

Related to things discussed in this thread, I was watching this video today:

Which, naturally, made me think - “that looks like a fun and deep system, that doesn’t take up a ton of space”, but then I started thinking about the basics of what’s going on here. Seemingly mundane samples in, modifying/processing/modulating parameters, and realized “hey, I bet I could do this with my OT!” So, I wrote some notes in my Octatrack notebook before heading off to work. I’m finishing an ambient project right now, so my heart wants to to back to beats, but I definitely have some ideas for this kind of musique concrete using OT.

TL; DR: When GAS starts, fire up the OT.

12 Likes

That’s the spirit!

Edit: Damn, that video is pretty GAS inducing, but also I think it is more about the concept than the products :thup:

1 Like

You could do this 8 times over with the Octatrack… ok, think I have to grab an old microphone and some stuff around the house this weekend and try this out…

4 Likes

I think for me , i am focusing on getting more from what i have. But its still GAS. 500 series to make my signals subjectively “better”. Making cases for my equipment so i can gig with them. e.t.c a video synth and a music easel.I view it as the middle point of GAS. Supposidly i will try and stop after that… Fingers crossed :s

1 Like

I mean, it’s not like I’m currently building a pair of 500 series preamps at the moment… :shushing_face:

1 Like

Agree 110%!!!

Dat system tho

1 Like

Since i am totally not GAS afflicted. By who? I plan to build a lot of the sound Skulptor modules.
https://www.soundskulptor.com/en/home.php

Those sound skulptor units look really nice. The tape sim. modue and the stereo compressor are definitely in the mix for future considerations. I’m currently building a pair of Hairball Audio Lola preamps.

1 Like

Ill check them out , thank you!

Love this.
Should be etched in stone.

5 Likes

yea, it’s really interesting how the mind & body work, also how drugs (or even just external sources) affect us.

I realized the reason I got so addicted & obsessed with music production while coming down off of methadone was because it gave me the dopamine hits I was missing.

4 Likes

Someone in another thread mentioned they only buy their gear new. It’s the complete opposite with me, and actually buying second-hand is one serious ENABLER for GAS! Let’s say I watch a video with Lyra 8, think it’s cool but would never fork out 700€ for it, two weeks later I see it going for 570€ on a local musicians’ forum and I’m all like this is too good an offer not to buy it. I kind of reason with myself I’m actually saving money if and when I buy it!

3 Likes

For me, this was a big realization -

1. Making smart purchases. When you research & buy the gear you really want, the purchase will keep you happier much longer.

I love cheap gear, I bought a ton of it & I bought a ton of stuff just because it was a good deal. I enjoy using it all, but at the same time, the excitement of those items wore off quickly. I had a hard time purchasing anything over $500 & even $500 for 1 item was a lot to me. But after spending $2,000 on cheap gear I realized I could have gotten an MPC & an analog synth instead (something I REALLY wanted) & I would have gotten a lot more out of it. So I started taking my hardware purchases more seriously. To not give in to gas JUST because you want to play with something new & play with it NOW. To not buy something just because it’s a great deal or it’s on sale. It’s worth it to be patient, to do research & buy what you REALLY want.

1 of the reasons I’ve been able to go over a year without buying anything new is because of the Analog Heat. Adding the AH turned all of my “old” gear into something “new”. It had me experiencing & exploring my entire set up all over again. It made all my synths sound different, all my vinyl, ect. The AH was expensive for me, but it added SO much to my set up (smart purchase) keeping me satisfied. Even tho I only bought 1 thing, the AH… I felt like it gave me an entirely new set up in a way.

If you already have a synth(s), sampler(s), ect., but are craving something new? An effects box can add a lot. Even a cheap pedal. Instead of buying a sampler or synth that you have to focus on, making you ignore your other gear, buy some sort of effects box to USE with the gear you already have instead of ignoring it for the new & shiny toy.

Even using the gear you already have in different ways can be as exciting as a new purchase. Combining gear, playing with different signal chains. Combining gear makes you use it differently & turns it into something new. It changes the workflow & depending on the combination, it can change the sound. Combining gear will make you use your gear in new ways, you will learn more about your gear & it gives you plenty of new things to explore & experiment.

10 Likes

Respectfully disagree :cookie:

5 Likes