A bug in OT?

Often when I hit func and arr (it seems to happen more often when I am leaving the arrangement window), the OT opens the midi sync page in the project settings.

It does not seem like a big deal. I hit no twice and exit. However, twice now two song have become mysteriously messed up. I have been living with hrrld rule (nice beard), but I am wondering that maybe something strange is happening.

Has anyone else had this bug take place?

Should I do some sort of re-initialize?

If I did, how do I make sure everything I have done is saved?

Here is the most important question: how exactly is save working?
I save the project to new but when things get messed uo and I go back a step, it does bot fix it.

So, I have started to try and remember to also save the arrangement.

I am also trying to remember to save the parts also.

When it comes to the parts: I have four parts per bank? If I hit save all parts, am I saving for only that bank or all banks?

Thank you all.

MKI or MKII? Latest OS?

MKIi os 1.30C

(My battery is ok too, and it is amazing how much I have done and yet have only ran through a couple of gigs on the card).

also thank you ā€¦

Save all parts saves current bank parts only, from the manual:

ā€œIf you have made changes to other banks, and want to keep them, it is very important to save the project.ā€œ

3 Likes

What is the symptom of ā€˜messed upā€™? Something changed unexpectedly?

I appreciate the compliment on my beard, but itā€™s much too soon to call this the ā€˜hrrld ruleā€™ :smile:

First thank you both. I feel like such a newbie.

I do need to read through the manual again. It is nice that, I now have some memory of how to do things but I still lack the bigger picture. (For example, I am not sure what the lfo is doing with free, hold, trig, ect and why I have to go to the amp page and select r+t. I just go to the lfo and try stuff until it sounds good. I think it is a learning curve. First I need to get a basic flow down and then build the knowledge on to that).

I am still learning my way around the OT. Both times it has taken place is in earlier works, so they were sloppy. In the sense that I did not have any system to where things went.

I have noticed that if I am not careful, in arrangement, I will replace the pattern I stoped on, by selecting another pattern before turning iff the arrangement. I think that is what happened the first time.

This last time, it was like some of the the machines became different. Like a particular sound disappeared and was replaced by something else. I searched around in my flex slots but I could not find the sound. However on the track was a lot of trigs doing a lot of things so it could be that a sound I used was just being manipulated. I think I could of accidentally replace a slot and thus lost the sound.

However since the OT is strangely going to the sync project window, maybe when hit another group of func plus x key, it does something strange and I with out thinking hit yesā€¦ IDK?

1 Like

Sounds like part change?

This is a common feeling, and itā€™s ok. I feel the same even with lots and lots of time w/ OT.

Reading the manual a lot is a good idea.

I understand making projects that are not very organized too, that can be quite fun. Trying to keep things very ordered can be good too, to really understand whatā€™s going on. Do both, and just have fun either way.

Itā€™s clear now, after all this time, that the machine has some workflows that many find unintuitive, but theyā€™re far outnumbered and outweighed by the amazing variety of things the machine makes possible.

For sure confusing aspects of the OT feel like bugs, especially at first, but practice helps. The number of legit bugs is super-small in the end; especially once you find some workflows that work for you.

Good luck! Youā€™re on the path. (:

2 Likes

Is it possible that you donā€™t have ā€œsliceā€ checked when using a samplechain? Itā€™s just a shot in the dark, butā€¦

Octatrack Saving Routines?

Iā€™m also seeing this issue. Iā€™m running OS 1.31, but it was also happening on OS 1.30C. It makes jumping in and out of arranger mode when Iā€™m working on individual patterns quite a pain :frowning:

Hereā€™s a vid of it happening:

3 Likes

First of all thank you allā€¦

Kidquiet, have you seen any other issue?

Now that you mention it, I was working with arranger a lot a few weeks ago, and 2 or 3 times my T1 kick track got messed up. I wasnā€™t adjusting that track at all between my Parts, so I was surprised when it happened. I didnā€™t notice if my other atmospheric tracks were affected because I was more focused on my kick suddenly sounding like garbage :sweat_smile:

When the kick got messed up, I thought maybe I accidentally changed OT parameters via CC from my Digitone. That was my first week with the DN, so I thought it was my own stupidity with MIDI settings or something. Now Iā€™m wondering if something else related to Arranger was going on! Iā€™ll keep an eye out for the issue and will contact support if I can figure out a consistent way to reproduce it.

A workaround for when this occurs is to be vigilant about saving your parts every time youā€™ve finished an edit you want to keep. When my kick got messed up, I was able to restore it by simply reloading the part.

Side note: Have you read Merlinā€™s Guide? Itā€™s a great resource to learn more about the relationship between Parts/Banks/Patterns/etc.

3 Likes

Thank youā€¦ that coincides what my experiences have beenā€¦ it could be me. I know that I have to remember to adjust my midi settings or I things can get strange. I wonder if somewhere along the line, there is an errant mid message being sent.