Octatrack Saving Routines?

Hey! Just got my octatrack last night and I love it! I messed around on it for a while and made a few patterns, which I saved, but when I turned it off and back on my samples were gone. I eventually realized that unlike the digitakt, you have to save your samples separately before powering the device off. For people who own an octatrack, what is your normal routine when saving a project? Do you save each sample individually or collect all samples? Thank so much friends!

1 Like

Depends where the samples come from.
If they are loaded on the card, then there they stay. If using recorder buffers, as you have discovered, those samples must be saved to the card before powering off. Elsewise the recorder buffers are empty next time you power on.

Personally, my muscle memory is now automatic. When working with OT I save parts when I feel its time, and save the project at the end of a session. Again, muscle memory, I dont even realise I’m doing it most of the time.

As for recorder buffer samples, I save those one at a time into my folder system on the card. I crop and normalise and rename most recorder buffer samples.

1 Like

so you save parts separate from projects?

Yup. Be sure to understand the internal architecture of the OT.
Think of an imaginary line just above the trig buttons. Any data there is stored in a pattern. Patterns are auto saved when powering off.
Any data above the line (track settings, fx, scenes etc) is stored in a part.

When you execute save project, everything is saved, parts, patterns the lot.

You will get this a lot… ‘read the manual…’ owning an octatrack requires extensive use of the manual. Until you have learned and developed muscle memory for the many operations. Mine came with a lovely printed one. If you dont have a printed one, download it and print it out, get it bound. It will be the single most useful resource you will ever need.

5 Likes

First : Backup your CF Card regularly on another…thing. (Check post end)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but for me everything is autosaved, except recording buffers.

New project files are .work files, you can see them on the CF card project folder.
I think they are updated and autosaved constantly, because when the OT is accidentally turned off, settings are not lost. I had a power socket problem, OT turned off oftenly : everything saved.

When you use the SAVE function, all .work files are copied as .strd files (strd=stored?). Easy to check on the CF card.
If you modify parameters, .work files are modified. If you use the RELOAD function, all .work files are replaced by .strd files.

Backup your CF Card anyway. Some files like banks can be corrupted occasionally.
Save projects, make eventually a SAVE AS NEW for most important projects, and save just after (otherwise you can’t reload).
You don’t have to save parts, unless you want to reload them. They are autosaved with banks. If you save them, you also have to save the project if you want to reload it, otherwise parts saved state is deleted or overwritten when you reload the project.
I barely save parts! :smile:

Once I lost all my projects, no more access to the set, maybe because I turned off the OT just after power on, while the card was busy: I wanted to use the MD. Jealousy? :sketchy:

5 Likes

I save parts purely for the reload part function for gigs, destroy your pattern slowly over time then… boom! Back to reality.

4 Likes

:joy:
1 Like

Also beware, auto save is not the same as a ‘project save’ .

So if you are relying on auto save, then change projects, when you reload the first project… it reloads from the most recent ‘save’ command point. I found this out the hard way.

Not sure to understand what you mean.
After a project change, a project is reloaded with its autosaved state (.work files).
Most recent saved stated is reloaded only after the RELOAD function.

Project 1 > SAVE
Project 1 > modifications (AUTOSAVE)
Change to project 2
Change to project 1 > AUTOSAVE state
Project 1 > RELOAD > SAVE state

I believe that most of the confusion regarding the OT save procedures resides in the generic “save” term used for two different operations. “Save project” is more close to “archive” than “save”, hence the .str file extension which stands (imo) for “store” (the verb).
Store for later use (archive), save to preserve from loss on power down (retain current state).

1 Like

The file extension is .strd actually, which stands (imo) for “stored” (the past participle). :pl:

Yep, I replied from the top of my mind but we do say the same thing don’t we :wink:

1 Like

Yes I was chipoting. :smile:

3 Likes

This is going to crash the wikipedia server :-))

2 Likes

True that. I would just add:

DO the manual, reading is still passive.

Also, you can make templates by saving configurations you figured out for a specific purpose.

I did that for a while to save time. But actually for keeping the m.memory on point it’s actually a lot better to start over fresh with every project even when you know what you are going to do.

3 Likes

:rofl:

PS: I get mixed up in languages all the time. Using different languages at different places/times every single day.

1 Like