909 day (2018)

I think Roland (and Korg) have such a wide range of current products all the time, that us synth nerds sometimes forget that our particular area of interest is a comparatively small factor in their bottom line - But because both companies started out in the analogue days the expectation is that there should be more analogue products in the line up, however analogue products require a lot more resources than digital products, arguably digital technology can sound and behave ‘good enough’, and of course any analogue product released is subject to a more intense scrutiny.

Sure I’d love to see more analogue from Roland and Korg, but I don’t think they do too badly, I bet they sell a whole lot more tuners, field recorders, audio interfaces, midi controllers, and more mundane items, so most likely the development teams have to push the upper echelons to do something more interesting than ‘great, another fucking tuner’ :joy:

System 500 and Aira Fx are very good, I don’t think many would dispute that, Aira and Boutiques tend to polarize opinions a bit more, but overall I think they definitely have their place and will likely be sought after once they are discontinued.

4 Likes

Not true. Analogue is pretty easy compared to the development effort needed for a modern digital product. Especially if you want to clone stuff.

Digital products can be assembled more efficiently in most cases because of the lower number of parts.

It’s all about volumes.

3 Likes

Yes, what I meant by that was digital synthesis requires no calibration, and often much lower component count than for example an analog polysynth or drum machine. So once the initial development of a digital instrument is complete large scale replication is much less resource intesive. I’d guess that initial development of a modern analog instrument would also take longer since it is likely to have a significant amount of digital circuitry for things like user interface, midi, calibration and what have you.

1 Like

I think Roland’s ACB technology is a little bit underrated. Maybe they could use this engine to recreate other Synth classics from other companies. Imagine a good looking System-8 like synthesizer, no cheap plastic, with better key‘s and much more memorie for different synthesizer models, and more power for a higher voice count. It would be awesome to be able to switch between legends like CS-80, Prophet 5, Moog etc. Of course it would be as unethical like the Behringer clones.

1 Like

Maybe Roland could release a Rebirth box :joy::joy::rofl::sneezing_face::smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

or they could do a clone of the behringer moog clone?

3 Likes

Super Saiyan TR8S. I’m not gonna lie I would talk so much crap about it but it’s gonna be my workhorse :rofl:

2 Likes

Isn’t that what the SE-02 was?

2 Likes

Don’t think anyone mentioned this yet:

The amateur comedians have already beat us to the jokes involving magnifying glasses, tweezers, etc.

It won’t be yet another reissue of an XOX product at least.

2 Likes

SE-02 is way better, imo

Re-box? With a valve so you can ‘pump’ the compressor :rofl:

No. Sorry :neutral_face: lame 90’s joke

Yes, please​:+1::yum:

For me a4 is little bit a rebirth box
Just to mention it once again, sorry,
the pattern autosave takes away a lot of
the carefree rebirth style jamming fun on
a4.

Btw, I have tanzbär, which has both 808ish and 909ish kick, (im not that impressed of tanzbärs sound tbh), i could add 2 tb 03 ( throw away my lame tb3), voilá rebirth box.
I also somtetimes sequence dreadbox hades or erebus via tanzbärs very primitive cv sequencer, not that good, but at least no pattern autosave on change and carefree jamming.

Edit: would need to add analog heat or erica acidbox plus a dist and comp to replace rebirth. Quite a price difference to the 5 euro app…

She-it! Was it that cheap, the Rebirth app? I can no longer remember!
Makes the whole situation just a tad worse really.

Dont remember exactly tbh, was probably something between 3 and 10.

Im shure you know
if you cant live without I think you can still follow a very complicated youtube video and install it for free on your computer. ( not shure, or is even that gone and its dead forever? If so, some pro software vodoo doctor has to rebirth rebirth)
Edit : not that you need it now, you have your old ipad still working…

1 Like

Appreciate your words fella! :kissing_heart: