7/4 time signature is indeed pretty interesting

I guess because the original post was pertaining particularly to one Naut’s music and the conversation was getting into other musical examples of odd meters. I guess my thought was that this is a great topic and is ripe for some cool discussion which I wouldn’t want to take away from the original post. I’m fine either way. If @gbravetti doesn’t mind this thread becoming a general discussion of asymmetrical meter, that’s cool :wink:

(sorry for leaving you out of the mods list @LyingDalai :blush:)

2 Likes

7/16 @ 100 BPM
Kind of using a 2-3-2-3-2-2 pattern with the drums

2 Likes

On the contrary, it is such an honor. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sounds great! I like the video @bigfrog, very good illustration of that tala. I’m only marginally familiar with Hindustani music, but I hear similarities a lot with what I’ve heard and studied of Turkish classical music and their version of rhythmic cycles called usul.

I’d call that a 14 myself (academic, really). Really nice groove :wink:

1 Like

Just uploaded a slightly better mix of a recent tune. Continuing in the theme of 7:

3 Likes

Beautiful landscape, sounds to me like a dark nostalgia with touches of hope.
Which instrument is the one that strums with some overdrive on it?

Hey thanks @gbravetti, I know you commented earlier on this piece. I appreciate your take on the mood :wink: That’s me on bass guitar through a preamp with overdrive.

It fits pretty well on the whole mix. I thought I have listened to it already, anyway you said better mix so… :wink:

1 Like

To my ears this sounds like 4/4 with some other meters over the top.

7/4 is fun though, nearly everything Venetian Snares does is in 7s and it gives his stuff a real sense of urgency.

4 Likes

the odd timing does generate a feeling of tension. John Carpenter’s Halloween theme is a great example…basic little melody done in 5/4 :smiling_imp:

it was funny in the early days to hear people bitch about venetian snares making music that wasn’t “in time,”…it was in time, just not the standard 4/4 that is heard everywhere.

1 Like

Here’s a classic jazz song in 5/4:

If you count 1-2-3, 1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2, etc… You can follow the groove…

Thats because snare clap and some hats are in 4/4, now if you focus on all the rest or in the structural changes the signature is 14/4. For me is where you place the structural changes what matters more than the elements cycle’s length itself.

Anyway if you feel it 4/4 that is what actually matters for you.

Can’t see your video but I know V.S. and it is a nice example off odd time signatures. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same as in Mission Impossible main theme… at least till Tom Cruise come to f#@c everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was kidding about Tom Cruise btw, I like most of the new MI :wink:

1 Like

Here’s a list of common Balkan rhythms, additional ways to break up complex meters.

This is a vast simplification. You won’t be creating anything representing these styles follow this chart.

===========================================

Pajduško (pie-DOOSH-koh) (5/16) – 2+3

Râčenica (rah-cheh-NEE-tsah) (7/16) – 2+2+3
Četvorno (chet-VOR-no) (7/16) – 3+2+2
Lesnoto (LEHS-noh-toh) (7/8) – 3+2+2

Dajčovo (DIE-choh-voh) (9/16) – 2+2+2+3
Devetorka (deh-VEH-tohr-kah) (9/8) – 2+2+2+3

Kopanica (KOH-pah-nee-tsah) (11/16) – 2+2+3+2+2

Postupano (poh-STOO-pah-no) -OR- Krivo (KREE-voh) (13/16) – 2+2+2+3+2+2
Beranče (BEY-rahn-tcheh) (13/16) – (3+2)+3+(3+2)

Bučimiš (boo-chee-MEESH) (15/16) – 2+2+2+2+3+2+2

===========================================

The tempo can be quite high so this condenses down larger meters to shorter ones with uneven beats. To get a feel for these beats you can clap these while counting (evenly), a good skill. So for instance Pajduško:

clap…clap
1…2…1…2…3

Eventually you won’t need to count, Pajduško then becomes short+long. They are often represented that way substituting ‘short’ for 2 and ‘long’ for 3.

A good source for western sheet music for various traditional melodies for these rhythm patterns can be found in “The Pinewoods International Collection” by Tom Paxton (Nightshade Publications).

Acknowledgment:

I have a real admiration for anyone raised in these traditions who learned this by hearing, dancing and living these rhythms. This table doesn’t even scratch the surface. I welcome any corrections, and would love to learn more. I know there are spelling variations of these.

[Sept 1 – Minor changes to improve post.]

5 Likes

Good call on pointing out the short/long distillation of these rhythms! I used to play Bulgarian gajda (still may get another set to mess with).

Here’s a great example of râčenica by the band “The Toids” (no longer together)

They do a great bučimiš on that album too (can’t find a YT link)

2 Likes

A friend and I used to love playing that rhythm on hand drums back in the day! I love that 10. It’s quite infectious. I still mean to write a song using the MI rhythm as inspiration.

Really digging this man. Now i’m going to have to check out your other stuff.

Any thread on odd time signatures should have a mention of Tool. So here I am. Mentioning Tool.

3 Likes

Try counting 11/8 after the kool-aid :smile:

starts about a minute and a half in…

1 Like