7/4 time signature is indeed pretty interesting

Improvising on a 7/4 signature piece I’m working on! It feels strange at the beginning but after some cycles I’ll bet you get into it. Drop me a comment and let me know what you think. Happy listening!

Strings from the Dave Smith TETR4, Melodic Arp (5:15) from the Moog Slimphatty (SEQ from OT), most other sounds generated on the black boxes, thanks Elektron, the TB303 and accessory percussions (just a very few) are virtual, the ARTURIA Beatstep Pro in charge of the TB 303 and Accesory percussions. Advanced controls from Push and Launch Control using Performer , made with Max by Cycling '74. All heated a bit with the Elektron Analog Heat.

https://youtu.be/XJtob26fNoc?list=PL-QEmH6bDcIq3hB01VF4UfKsHSD_M3NDI

24 Likes

Amazing stuff G, very inspiring. You’ve definitely found your sound.

2 Likes

Dope!

We love 7/4, too!

4 Likes

Cool tune but is it really 7/4 if you just have a few 7/4 elements over a 4/4 kick/snare pattern?

6 Likes

Sounds good, but I’m not hearing where it’s in 7. It sounds like your sequence in 7/4 is combined with stuff in 4/4 that obscures the 7 (makes it a polymeter to my ears). I’m very familiar with asymmetrical meters, but maybe it’s too early in the morning for my brain to hear what you are referring to. Anyway, nice work regardless :slight_smile:

4 Likes

love the sound, i could listen to that all day.

1 Like

So, there are elements in 3/4, 4/4, 7/4, and 14/4.
The key (at least for me) is that structural’s changes are in 14/4.

1 Like

As I said to Anfim, structural changes are in 14/4, and glad you like it!

1 Like

Because there is something that resembles a TB303 may be? :stuck_out_tongue: joke :wink:

1 Like

Very nice track and arrange S! :slight_smile:

haha maybe :wink:

1 Like

Cool :smile: I just posted a very recent piece of mine in 7. Glad to hear the music is flowing for you.

2 Likes

link?

Sorry ;).

1 Like

gorgeous and uplifting. thanks for the share!

1 Like

Very nice flow.
Enjoyed it a lot.

1 Like

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Anytime I hear 7/4 I think of Rush’s “Limelight” :slight_smile:

5 Likes

7, 14, 28… some of my favorite step lengths.

(A4 + Rytm)

7 Likes

Great track! I would love to see more of what you come up with in 7. I really like the overall feel and weight to your sound. Just curious, how are you running the Heat? As a main insert or aux bus out of a mixer?

I myself love 7 beat cycles. Roopak Taal is pattern I always turn to for inspiration. Its 3+2+2:
Tin Tin Na - Dhin Na - Dhin Na … or if you don’t speak tabla basically:
(Bell Bell Snare - Bass&Bell Snare - Bass&Bell Snare)

Not the best video, but here’s the master:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2uZD_wjvs

2 Likes