7/4 time signature is indeed pretty interesting

My pleasure!

Iā€™m glad!

Thanks for listening and glad you like it!

1 Like

I remember that from the early 80ā€™s I think, nice 7/4 indeed :slight_smile:

great vibe on that one!

Hey Rew, thanks!

All the sound generators end up in the Octatrack. Percussions rhythm etc. though the AB inputs, and synths through the CD inputs. Octatrackā€™s master out goes directly to the Analog Heat then to the ā€œmixerā€, and Octatrackā€™s CUE out goes directly to my ā€œmixerā€, so I can decide on the flight what gets heated and what doesnā€™t (with some limitations of course).

Impressive tabla player, hand hard to keep the count :P, btw iā€™m counting 14 16 and start over again, or 7 - 8 at half tempo, may be Iā€™m wrong.

Just found this looking for more odd time signature on table:
Plenty of odd signatures and extremely enjoyable:

6 Likes

Zakir Hussein is great! I saw him play live once and it was one of the better performances Iā€™ve gone to!

2 Likes

see if you can guess the time signature of this:

so this is the thread where we put our weird time signature music?

everything is in 27/4
3 bars of 7 and then a bar of 6 :wink:
rytm a4 and OT (bass is MnM sampled into OT)

5 Likes

Gentle Giant ā€“ Polyrhytm of 7/4 on 6/4 ā€“ Incredible group of musicians, multi-instrumentalist too.

2 Likes

When you listen to solo tabla performance like this itā€™s the melodic instrument that keeps the beat. In this video listen to the sarangi (the ā€œviolinā€) and youā€™ll hear a fairly simple repeating melodic pattern thatā€™s in a medium speed 7/4.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great 7/8 songā€¦one of my favourite groupsā€¦

5 Likes

Hereā€™s one of my favorite performances in a medium speed 7/4 - the rhythmic part starts around 10:40. The beat can be broken down in 3+2+2. The grouping of 3 will rarely have bass tones while the two groups of 2 emphasize the bass tones of the tabla.

3 Likes

Very interesting vibe you have there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

7/4 :slight_smile:
Nice groove btw!

1 Like

Hey Mods (@PeterHanes, @AdamJay, @avantronica )

Can we split this topic to continue a separate discussion of odd meters/music in 7/4? @gbravetti great vid, but Itā€™d be nice to have a separate discussion of odd meter music :wink:

thanks! technically 7/16 but thatā€™s splitting hairs

1 Like

best explain what you are chasing then ā€¦ differentiate it such that itā€™ll prevent one of us ( also @LyingDalai BTW ) subsequently re-merging ā€¦

is it one discussion for talk, one for examples, that sounds like an ideal merge scenario :wink:

1 Like

How much is the BPM?