303 Clones

The best thing about the TB-03 is full midi cc control and the extended note range, as a clone it gets fairly close, probably IMHO closer than the TTmkII and TD-3 (I have a TTmkII, and it definitely has its own strengths, so bear this in mind) I don’t have a TD-3 (no surprise) but it seems to sound ok, but not too close to a TB from what I heard of the various demos. But the other thing to think of if you like acid/303s it is nice to have a couple of different ones, one for leads one for bass and one for mid range acid, you can fit 3 or 4 into a mix without too much trouble if you are mindful of note ranges and filter settings as well as eq, fx etc.

I’d like to try a RE-303, the Avalon and the Acidlab one.

@pidgeo how are you liking your RE-303?

2 Likes

it sounded amazing but I sold it due to a dislike of the build quality. dunno if it’s a design decision but the pots had no resistance when turning and they were real scratchy against the enclosure when turning.

the volume knob has lovely resistance n feels cushioned and beautiful, the pots however were horrible.
so it’s gone :yum:

I wouldn’t personally ever get another one for fear the pots would be the same. the builder said it was normal. pity really.

1 Like

Oh, sorry to hear that. I am using the RE-303 case on my TB restoration, the knobs rub on the case as well, I think I might be able to adjust the positioning a bit though. You can apparently get better pots from Michigan synth works, I wonder if you had the standard ones? The 303 pots are pretty tight, even after all these years.

1 Like

The TB03 is the one I would get. For similar reasons, plus i have a boutique, damn those things are good!

Apologies if this has been discussed already–I’ve been searching but not easily finding exact answers to this question: are there other 303-style clones/reinterpretations besides the Avalon that allow live, unquantized sequencing directly from the unit?

I’ve got a Behringer, which is fine, as well as multiple synths that can do basslines (A4, Bass Station II, etc.) but I’d love to have a dedicated synth with the form factor of a traditional 303 but the ability to sequence much more flexibly–and above all, live on the fly. The Avalon is the only one that seems to do that, but I’m not spending $2000 for a used one (or even $1100 if they ever produce new ones again). I thought maybe the TT-03 could do it, or the x0xb0x, but that doesn’t seem possible from the manuals I found.

Suggestions? Note: I had the Aira, but just didn’t love the sound, design, or tweakability, so I sold it.

Edit: some more digging and I see the Acidlab Bassline 3 does this. But it’s not very easy to get in North America. Glad to have any other suggestions I might have missed!

You can get a Bassline 3 directly from the creator. Just go to his site, https://www.acidlab.de/, and shoot him an email.

1 Like

Thinking about picking up a Mam MB-33. Has anyone compared the sounds directly between the TB-03 and Mam MB33? I don’t typically use the tb-03 sequencer, so the Mam might be a good upgrade if the sound signature is better. Usually don’t crank resonance too high on TB-03.

@Nokulture @Kirz @darenager if any of you have used the Mam MB-33
Thanks!

I had one years ago, it does sound nice, be aware it does not have as wide a note range as the TB-03 though, it can do leads but not as high, can’t remember the upper limit. I don’t think it is the most accurate clone, but for the price it is good value, and it has a definite charm of its own.

1 Like

Not entirely related. But I recently finished my X0xbox. Bloody love it. The sequencer is brilliant. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks @darenager . I’ll keep doing more research on it.

@Microtribe Awesome news! I’ve looked into Xoxbox also. How hard was the build for you and is the sequencer much different than a traditional TB303 sequencer?

1 Like

Its not hard as such. But very complex for me- a beginner synth builder. There are a stupid amount of parts for such a simple synth.
I did have to get help from another synth builder. Turns out my fuckups were stupid things like missed components, and I forgot to solder a cap- which lucky for me, did not fry any chips. If you’ve built a few things before hand, then it wont be a problem

The sequencer is like a streamlined TB303 sequencer, you go through in steps, and add your ties, rests and glides for each step. You can always go back through (backwards or forwards) and edit every step before saving. So its easier and quicker than the OG. You can also bypass the internal sequencer altogether and use an external sequencer if you want. Octatrack could be fun.

You also get some neat little performance features while in play mode. You can use the tie rest and slide buttons to add a tie rest or slide, in real time that lasts for as long as you hold the button- pretty cool way to add variation in real time.

Its a great synth, lots of fun to play, very addictive.
I wouldnt want an original, or anything that keeps the OG sequencer.

Im very pleased with mine. And plan to do two subtle mods to it, which will extend the low end filter range, and extend the envelope range .
(Not that it needs it, I just like the idea.)

I’m interested in a 303 clone as well and wondering which one to chose.
My main criteria is that I don’t want to use an onboard sequencer but rather use a DAW, so the timing for accent and slide CCs is the crucial point. Any ideas ?

td-3
or td-3 MO (it has midi cc for filter)

you just overlap notes for slide, and use velocity over 90 (or whatever you define in the synth tool) for accent.
but… octatrack might not play nice due to the way it does note off.

otherwise.
tb-03 (though slides are a bit weird… its a midi CC to trigger a slide).

OR
ABL3 in daw… it sounds great.render out loops and put in octatrack/sampler.
OR wait for new d.16 phoscyon 2 … it looks like a good 303 with lots of circuit bend/additional tweaking … its not out yet though… its just been teased.

1 Like

And if you want legato notes without slide ?

change the setting in synthtribe app (for td-3 / td-3 MO)

1 Like

Okay but that leaves me the option or it’s either/or ?

buy two, they about £70 2nd hand.

1 Like

Hahaha, that would not be super convenient…

Waiting for the right HW clone, I use the cheap and fantastic PureAcid by JimAudio. You can also support Ukraine by purchasing two in-App add-ons right now. I wouldn’t promote this app if it wasn’t so good. The sequencer and random patterns are killer, as well as the overall sound, especially the filters. I’d just love to have this app as a hardware unit. Anyway, the world needs less missiles, and more 303 clones. Peace.

3 Likes

pure acid sequencer is great. scales, mutate, shuffle. quality stuff :+1:

2 Likes