<3 model:cycles thread

One of the best things about the M:C is how fast is to come up with new sounds; maybe having predefined machines prevents you from going very deep into FM synthesis ( which is kind of a nightmare on some classic FM synths) but layering 2 ( like volca drum) or more tracks can get really complex and interesting sounds.

2 Likes

Agree. To that end I would love track linking/trigging. To the feature request thread!

Edit: There are NEI trig conditions obviously… why did I forget that

2 Likes

My first hardware drum Machine, I was going to buy the Roland TR8 and saw this beauty on “red means recording” fell in love with it instantly :heart_eyes:

Got it a couple of days ago, and now I’m trying to figure out how to make it sound good. (I am really bad at drums) I only started to get into Synths, music production, and music theory last year, so I still suck at making good drum patterns. But this thing is so easy to grasp, and start making sounds instantly.

9 Likes

Congrats! The sound on this box is lush and a great place to start. The kicks are so punchy and easy to dial in.
One thing I like doing to get some movement in hihat patterns is to live record tweaking the decay - you can sort of move between a closed, semi-open and open hat sound.

4 Likes

Thats a good idea, you could use 3 layer sounds T1-T3 on one output sequenced from T1 and T4-T6 on the other sequenced from T4. Two mono drum machines with individual outs for external processing…I will try it…

1 Like

Perfect, just tried it. thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m still enjoying the M:C and still uncovering certain features or little workflow combos. Only gripe I think is sometimes it feels like the main 4 knobs don’t do anything. Could be shape or contour. It’s not everywhere, just feel like sometimes you don’t get enough mileage out of ‘em. For a dedicated control concept, you think it would be a bit more aggressive. Particularly contour on chord, feels like it does very little. Be sweet if it was a more cutoff filter on the chord machine, would add to the fun :slight_smile:

Exactly, been doing this on the MD forever. You can craft layered kicks and all sort of other things. And you can mute/unmute from a single track.

3 Likes

For me, LFO is everything.

If you don’t think one of the macro parameters is doing much, assign an LFO to it. Yea, some are more dramatic than others. And some are more responsive based on where the others have been set, but they all come to life a bit more with LFO modulation.
And do not ignore the second LFO page, especially on basses where you can adjust the start phase and fade.

Funny thing is patching on the M:C has made me more of an LFO Phase/Fade junkie than ever on the Analog Keys. :grin:

6 Likes

As you are an LFO junkie…

LFO Reset via Midi CC works as a LFO trigger mode

CC108 value 0 Free (Reset off on the cycles)
CC108 value 1 Reset loop ( Reset on on the cycles)
CC108 value 2 Random Hold
CC108 value 3 One cycle
CC108 value 4 Half cycle

This is great!!!

I hope they do not fix it…:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@cyclesOG Good choice! As great as the Roland stuff can be I think you’re doing yourself a service by starting off with something a little more left field. It’s easy to get stuck in the 808/909 sound sets (understandably, they’re classics for a reason) but this could get you on the path to your own unique sound much faster.
Come to think of it, this might be one of the first fm based piece of gear that is a good first piece for someone. The years I’ve put into learning things like the dx7 are nearly irrelevant when I turn the m:c on. While all knowledge is good knowledge, you don’t need to know anything about fm synthesis to rock this thing.

5 Likes

Thanx. I will try this on the MnM.

Thanks, Yeah I’m very happy with the it. what’s “m:c”?

Sorry, by “m:c” I mean model:cycles

2 Likes

I’ve had the m:c for 2 weeks now and whilst I might still be in the honeymoon period, I really think it’s the best piece of gear I’ve owned (and I’ve owned a fair bit).

Everything sounds super lush and gorgeous! The one piece of hardware I really wish I’d kept to pair with the m:c is the Waldorf Streichfett.

4 Likes

Just got mine in the post, first pattern.

Only bought it because the new baby is imminent and wanted something very portable to play with, wasn’t expecting much but I like it. Pleasantly surprised how good it is.

I think this and my Heat are going to have some fun together

4 Likes

Finally got a M:C this weekend. This box is incredible. Got to be careful with headphones volume, though: some of the sounds have blasted my ears off.

1 Like

That’s one of my favorite things - you can set a threshold for how high the headphones volume can go that is independent of the main out volume.

3 Likes

that is the only complaint I have about it, the lack of a uniform volume across all initial patches boo

1 Like

Yeah the presets are all over the place volume wise, and some of them have super harsh frequencies (thanks fm synthesis I guess). I got ear fatigue quicker with this box than others. Gotta lower dat volume knob a bit.

1 Like