<3 model:cycles thread

No, it’s not about the clipping in this case. I keep the track levels so low that there’s no clipping. The first track that I’m trying to make is a deep house track, so clipping doesn’t really suit the aesthetic.

It’s just that the track is not otherwise finished, even though the main loop works well. The arrangement, when which track comes in and so on, makes everything sound bland in the end.

I super love model cycles.

I have a midi drum pad from Keith McMillan that I bought for my son to practice drumming with, and it works pretty nicely with model:cycles

Also discovered I’m not good at drumming

3 Likes

Just wanted to say that i got a M:C for my bday in July and loved it. It was my first Elektron device and having known a guy who’s had them for years I was really excited to take the plunge. After a while i knew that i wanted my next purchase to be a Digitakt. But i didn’t want to get it right away because I thought that i would just put my M:C away and just play with the Digi. Well, pretty much the opposite has happened. Don’t get me wrong i love my Digitakt and play with it constantly but having it has given me a newfound appreciation for the M:C and the Model series as a whole.

5 Likes

Don’t mean to gripe, but I just bought your pack and discovered that you don’t include the sound files and it’s a whole bunch of individual sysex files. Obviously I can use it but it’s just a more awkward than it needs to be…

@Robert_Batta Can you help me with what’s happening here with the page/fill button please ?

It looks like the fill is actually soloing a track (or muting 5 tracks). I can see how you could do that with trig conditions like NEI and PRE, but it sounds like there would be a lot of editing of individual trigs to make that happen. Is there a shortcut to do something at the track level I haven’t found yet ? Or am misreading and this is something to do with ‘scale’ rather than ‘fill’ ?

Probably just trigs with the “(NOT)FILL” (with the line over FILL) trig condition. This allows trigs to activate only when FILL is NOT held, thus silencing them (or “soloing” the one track) when FILL is pressed.

You can accomplish this by doing it trig-by-trig, but remember: you can hold multiple trigs as you p-lock the trig condition, so it’s not that tedious.

2 Likes

Thanks, I realised it could be done with FILL/ not FILL, but I admit I overlooked editing multiple trigs at a time. (I’ve only had this thing a week :slight_smile: )

Just noticed a price drop on the M:C in Canada. Is it World wide?

1 Like

¥44,900 Amazon and Rakuten for Japan…
¥38,799 from the Elektron site.
$299 Amazon US and Sweetwater.
$250 Reverb.
Guess I could’ve waited, but the time I’ve already spent with it has been well worth it.

3 Likes

Thanks for your searching!

1 Like

Just got mine yesterday :slight_smile: also my first piece of Elektron gear. First piece of hardware in over a decade! Due to work commute and kids, etc, I shifted over to all iOS since 2011. It’s been great (can’t beat those prices) but there’s nothing quite like having a dedicated piece of hardware with buttons and knobs that just does ONE thing.

Had a good play for a little over an hour yesterday, didn’t need the manual yet which is good. Would really like to get comfortable with it, then plug it back into the iPad and use it in tandem with apps and other AUv3s as a controller. We’ll see how it goes, but pretty excited so far

4 Likes

Welcome to the world of Elektron!

This time next year you’ll probably have 4 more of their devices and be searching for a decently priced monomachine on EBay…:joy:

4 Likes

I’ve promised myself I won’t consider another Elektron machine until I’ve made some deep progress with the M:C … and I’m giving myself at least a few months for that.

I’ve heard of people for whom the M:C was literally a gateway drug that led to them purchasing the entire current product catalog from Elektron … it would be all too easy to go down that route, without first considering if this is the route I want to go (and instead merely looking for a piece of kit that solves problem X)

2 Likes

Yes, I think after buying one device it’s all to easy to see the appeal of having more. You’re right to consider what is it that you really need to get the job done though :+1:t5:

1 Like

I know what you mean guys, I’m looking at comparisons between Digitone and Cycles…

1 Like

Still loving the simple expressiveness even if after the Norand Mono i am saddened by one LFO per track :slight_smile:

One question, did anyone figure out or get fixed the thin power cable losing contact and powering off when the cable gets wiggled? I use mine on the couch and whenever i move i can lose progress.

I replaced the adapter but it’s not it.

I started with a Digitakt, Then Octatrack, A4 and M:C within maybe 18 months. I still have the OT and M:C. Two of my favorite tracks on my last record were mostly on the M:C. Nearly a year ago I bought a Kodamo EssenceFM and hadn’t even powered up the M:C since until this past week. Now, if I could only own two pieces of hardware it would be the OT and EssenceFM (and that includes a decent sized eurorack rig). That said, I can’t see me ever selling the M:C. Sometimes having such a simple, straightforward groovebox really gets the ball rolling. And for three hundred bucks?! It’s a keeper

For future Elektron devices, I hope they keep the simplified interface but bring back higher quality controls. These soft keys and stiff knobs aren’t my favorite, but I deal because the thing is fun and powerful. And the pads! God why! (I know this is not unique to MC)

Also MC is notably more difficult to get to sound good than other Elektron boxes. But it is more than possible.

All in all I <3 it

Monomachine would like a word

1 Like

No way. When I had one it was like constant eargasms with little effort. I will always regret selling it.

1 Like