<3 model:cycles thread

i’m actually way more productive when using the m:c than when using either the dt or dn

good patterns / progressions to either sample or build upon emerge naturally from it

it’s kind of like a sketch pad that happens to sound really good and is totally useable in tracks

3 Likes

I used a lot M:C in 2022. It was the unit of my ex girlfriend.
Since, we brake up and I worked on a 2 DN setup with an AH+FX but I was always thinking about getting back a M:C but it was not “rational”…
One week ago, I bought again a Torso T1 and this time, it clicked instantly !
And it’s the white version, so I finally bought a new model cycles to pair with the T1 :slight_smile:
It’s a silly story but I’m very happy !

9 Likes

I‘m gassing for a portable sketch pad again for travel, outside and on the couch. Wanna give this another try. Didn’t go too well last time with Deluge, but it was mainly because I didn’t want to learn a new workflow. M:C would solve that. I also know that I like the machines from my Syntakt. The models can also be bought second hand very cheap.

So how is M:C doing in that context? Is using it with a powerbank and maybe a portable speaker a pain in the ass for some reason? Can I send the MIDI from individual tracks out on a dedicated MIDI channel to get sequences I‘ve sketched into my other Elektrons easily? Is it really the full Elektron sequencer or is there stuff missing like individual track lengths? Is the display a letdown when it comes to using and getting used to what the knobs do on individual machines? Any technical issues I need to know about when buying second hand like the pad issue with early Rytm MK II?

1 Like

no one likes to hear this but i’ve learned the hard way that the best portable solution is a cheap ipad

the model cycles is awesome but it’s awkward to carry around and augment with a third party battery pack etc - i tried taking it a few times on the bus back and forth from philly to nyc and it was just more trouble than it was worth to find room in my bag and set it all up

now that i have a few cheap apps i’m embarrassed at how obvious the solution was

3 Likes

If you’re using it with a power bank, your best bet is to find a cable to fit the side (power handle) socket. For the back socket, commercially available barrel jacks have a subtly different shape and don’t push into the socket as deeply as the elektron supplied power socket. That means that jogging the cable accidentally can easily cut the power and you lose your latest changes.

1 Like

I use it like this, but prefer headphones. I have never use the wall power supply on mine, is a portable oriented device.

Yes, just need to turn “sent midi out” to ON and the track is now both internal and midi

You use the Models with your ears for sound design since there Is not menu diving and you do sound design with 12 knobs right in front of you instead of pages/double taps/etc.

Yes it is. Edit: but only now data, no encoders cc data is send.

5 Likes

The Elektron-supplied barrel jiggles just the same for me, sadly. I’ve tried 3 different power supplies on the M:S and M:C. It doesn’t spoil the use but I have to be careful about lap use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick replies! I‘ve never researched what happened with the power handle. Elektron never released that but there is still a socket for it on the right side? But nothing from Elektron or third parties to put there?

All correct except that the power is under the left side cover. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I basically use my M:C as my portable travel device. Not sure what they dude is talking about but for me it’s perfect for that. I’ve had no problems using it with a battery pack as long as you use the side jack for the power handle. I’m not even sure I know were my original PSU is anymore. I will say, as far as midi out you can only send note on and off, note length and pitch. But if that’s all you need it can definitely do that.

Yeah, I think all previous comments about flakiness on powerpack, certainly all of mine, were about the back socket, not the side socket.

1 Like

So I got a cheap used M:C and checked it out for an hour. It’s pretty fun and I think for my intended use case „small, portable Elektron sequencer with a synth engine“ it’s great. Also love its look. Not a fan of the rubber buttons, but they‘re okay.

There’s certain things I‘m missing, which would keep this from being my main drum machine. Like a filter cutoff knob and at least one other knob that does envelope stuff (like an LFO amount instead of speed if I have to use the LFO as an envelope).

1 Like

If you are into retriggs you Will find cool that the Models can send retriggs via midi.

Filter and resonance absence is really missed. Sometimes I route the M:C trough the KORG Monologue filter envelope and analogue drive circuit… maybe some module can do the same for you.

Check the velocity control for LFO rate or deep. Pretty handy to PLock stuff using an external keyboard.

1 Like

Every machine has a parameter (contour) that does enveloppe stuff, it is often a macro combining fm modulation with its enveloppe and time parameter associated to it. This with the decay know seems enough for me (for drums !).

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I know, but I’m spoiled by Syntakt, which gives you more control. I love melodic/rhythmic plucky sounds and the M:C machines are so good for them, but a little more control over filters and envelopes works wonder for these.

3 Likes

Have both and to me, there’s not much fun in using an iPad. Touch interfaces get annoying on larger surfaces when things are not set in place.

2 Likes