3/4 hi hats triplet (grid)

Hi,
i’m struggling getting this closed hi hats pattern on Model Samples

it’s on Ableton triplet grid
i’ve only succeed using 4/4 time signature and swing on some of the steps

Check out the diagram that @paulito posted. Use microtiming (1/48 or 1/24) for the triplets that you want to hit:

• Every 1st is on grid
  • Every 2nd is 1/48 to the right
  • Every 3rd is 1/24 to the right
    (and skip every 4th step in the sequencer)
2 Likes

for the example on the pattern i posted (cl hihats)?
the used steps are 1 - 2 - 4 8 - 9 - 10 12 16
what steps should i micro time and how much?
pic on 4/4 grid

Your 1 and 9 are on the grid. Everything else is 1/3 of a step late. 1/3 of a step (1/16) is 1/48, so that’s the offset you need.

1 Like

Perfect thank you (also if i export the midi),
I also found that if i use 64% of track swing (without using microtiming) it nails the triplet grid sound perfectly but if i export the midi it’s not aligned correctly.

1 Like

66% swing is the key to triplets, wandering around i also found this article about Roger Linn about swing in drum machines
https://www.attackmagazine.com/features/interview/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

2 Likes

66.666 recurring actually, but who’s counting :slight_smile: Actually … there are two reasons I didn’t reply with a correction to 64%

• I couldn’t remember how close the M:S and M:C can get to 66/67 (I know 66.666 is not possible)
  • depending a bit on whether you want exact triplets or some kind of humanised/swing/shuffle feel, 64 is possibly quite good enough.

EDIT: @diegobsp interesting article, thanks.

1 Like

If you’re willing to use this technique you might be able to program triplets in Ableton and send the MIDI to the Model:Samples with quantize disabled.

Does a retrig not do this? Haha I don’t have a M:S to check on sorry