1010music Nanobox Razzmatazz

No worries. I haven’t gone to bed yet.

Yeah, you’re right — the razzmatazz sequencer is a sixteen-pattern sequencer, with each sequence (pattern) supporting up to 128 steps (although each sequence can have a different number of steps). It’s still one sequence at a time — you can’t have multiple patterns running at once, unfortunately. I’ve only used an Electron sequencer a few times, but I believe they’re essentially similar in terms of what they offer.

I’m all about the crazy polyrhythms too!

4 Likes

Thanks man :pray: I did hook up the razz to the blackbox yesterday just to try out some sequencing wildness, and it works really well. Got the bottom eight pads assigned to the razzmatazz and the top eight for blackbox loops and stuff. Somehow, it would feel overkill to use the bbox only for sequencing if I bring the tangerine into the mix, but I like the idea of working with just the razz and the tangerine and not involve anything else. I might have to find a way around the pattern structure of the razz to go into my polychaoticrhythmstuff-ish. I mean, there’s always just sampling loops into the tangerine and build something directly in there, Roland SP style.

1 Like

You bet. You’ve probably thought about it, but you could resample a bunch of different step length loops from the razz into the tangerine, then use trigger those loops on the tangerine and play more odd-lengt sequences or or finger drum on the razz. I haven’t tried that, but between the two of them and the bluebox or the TX-6/TP-7 you could capture it all. (Wearing my 1010 hat, I’d say go for the bluebox for this. Wearing my hipster music-creator-in-a-cafe-hat, since you’ve already got the TE gear, I’d say maybe try that first? :slight_smile: ).

3 Likes

Actually, I’m back on the bluebox, doing the very thing you suggest :slightly_smiling_face: funny enough, after some time with the TE stuff, once back on the bluebox, you realise how powerful it is, how good it sounds and how it just does everything you expect from such a kit. The charming compromises of TE gear face some stiff competition when you just want to get the job done, 1010 style.

4 Likes

I thought I’d share this vid here, which I really enjoyed and which shows off the possibilities of velocity modulation on the Razz using drumpads. I don’t know if this guy is on the forum or not. I’d kinda been GASsing over a Nord 3P but this has got me thinking - why not both?

This has also got me thinking about the possibilities of a small setup based around the Blackbox, Razzmatazz, Tangerine and Bluebox, with a midi keyboard and drumpads.

3 Likes

Sorry for the repost
The Razzmatazz was the centerpiece for this liveset, together with the BlastBeats

1010music shipped a firmware update beta for razzmatazz just before US Thanksgiving if you’ve got time this weekend to check it out. It’s on the forum here (login required).

Notable changes include:

• USB MIDI. You can now connect your razzmatazz to a computer, blackbox, or some other USB host and receive MIDI over the USB cable.
  • Internal resampling. Hold the Home button and jump to the WAV screen. You can now sample the internal sounds using the sequencer into a new WAV file. Take advantage of the quantized recording to create a Clip.
  • Unlimited Clip and Slicer pads. All 8 pads can now load clips or sliced WAVs
  • Automation. Look for the bar control in the sequencer stack.
  • Pitch Modulation. Look for the new Pitch Mod control in the Setup screen for each pad
  • MIDI Output option: See the new MIDI Out option in the config menu to send MIDI clock to downstream devices
  • MIDI Type A/B output: Also in the config menu, you can choose to support the Type B standard (previous default) or Type A devices.
  • FX3 Bypass control. In the pad setup, you can disable FX3 (Cab Distortion) on some pads
  • Now supports stereo samples

Feedback you’d like us to consider to the 1010music forum here, please. I’ll keep an eye on this thread, but my daughter’s in town for the US Thanksgiving holiday and no promises as to when/if I can respond in a timely manner.

(Please flag and I’ll delete if inappropriate, since I work for 1010music.)

16 Likes

wow - some great stuff in that update, particularly these for me:

• Unlimited Clip and Slicer pads. All 8 pads can now load clips or sliced WAVs
  • Pitch Modulation. Look for the new Pitch Mod control in the Setup screen for each pad
  • Now supports stereo samples

!

1 Like

Oh man what a great week! Thanks a bunch 1010!

YESSSSSS !!!
It’s update week, it seems :slight_smile:

1 Like

All this is very welcome! Thanks so much!

I just can’t help being disappointed it’s still not possible to change pattern via MIDI notes. It looks (to me) like a very basic feature for such a machine - it’s sooooo convenient on the BlackBox.
This would be so much more useful than the current preset change via Program Change.
(because you usually don’t need to change preset so often as you change pattern, or is it just me?)

Also, no CC or any modulation controls on the FX3 page 🥲

But, yeah, it’s still a great update!

Very nice, TY.

1 Like

What does pitch mod mean?
Does that make it possible to make simple melodies with pitch automation? I am sorry, I am just learning about synthesis.

The answer is “yep”

1 Like

Woohoo that’s it, now I will buy one. I was waiting for this feature. I really wanted it to be a mini-groovebox and now it is.
Thank you for your reply.

1 Like

I have to point out that I’m not sure how straightforward the feature is to create melodies as such, as automation is defined in a bar graph style display (with very narrow bars). So I guess it must be difficult - but not impossible - to achieve intended results.
But I haven’t dug enough into that.
There’s so much going on these days with various updates!

Geez @KF6GPE just in time to slay the ep-133. This update is huge. I’m so in :sunny:

1 Like

I just want some baselines, nothing to fancy. I hope someone will post a YouTube clip showing this feature.

I’ve a feeling midi note pitch is reserved for the forthcoming Tangerine

Is it possible to record quantized Loop from incoming audio?