1010music Blackbox

I just discovered the 1010Music Blackbox yesterday after seeing it on a few YouTube videos then decided to delve deeper.

I’ve been looking at getting either an MPC One or buying a Legacy MPC for beatmaking but also to accompany a SC1000 Scratch i’ve got coming my way soon. So i can trigger beats n loops and scratch along.

I’ve got Live & Push2 for serious beatmaking but to be honest dont like sitting in front of a computer during my spare time as that’s what I do in my job so was looking for a piece of hardware.

Have seen that the Blackbox has slicing function, is it good for slicing up breaks then programming new breaks from it?
Anyone on here use it for this type of break/hiphop production?

Just think its a really cool small box that’d be perfect for sofa beats with the sc1000 and also a VERY light rig for gigging.

I could see creating tracks on Ableton Live then exporting into loops/sections for gigging or playing back with the Blackbox too.

1 Like

Did you write something a few months back about how to connect up the BB to pedals to resample back into BB…I remember it being fairly detailed…I cant find it anywhere?

1 Like

No worries, I’ll repeat it here since I use external boards to resample into the Blackbox regularly now.

There are many ways to do it, but here’s the most straight-forward one -

• Connect an audio cable from Blackbox Out 1, into your board. Let’s say a Meris Polymoon (cause that’s what I use most now).

• Whatever you want to resample from the Blackbox, make sure the sample slot is assigned to Out1 within the Blackbox. That will now go into your Meris Polymoon (or whatever your outboard fx is - a pedal, a filter unit, an Analog Heat or whatnot).

• Connect your outboard back into the Blackbox In. At this point, you’ll get feedback and it’ll hurt your ears. Don’t worry, the Blackbox can take it.

• Pick your empty slot onto which you want to record your resample. Assign that slot to Out2 or Out3. Make sure you DON’T have a cable going out from the one you pick. Essentially, what you’re doing now is routing your live resampling onto a source that won’t be part of the feedback signal.

And now, sample as you were.

The hardcore version includes multiple outs connected to multiple boards through a mixer, routed back into the Blackbox. I’m using this approach from time to time when I want to experiment more, but all the wiring bothers me. I hate cables. So usually, I just bring out whatever board I want to use for resampling, hook it up and make it a dedicated session.

2 Likes

Knew it was you! Top write up, really really helpful!! Thanks…Time to feed the BB into my Marantz tape echo

1 Like

:sunglasses::metal:

As promised @d_hansen

Not really using chords but playing a lot of notes with long release when the clipping starts.

Less single cycle…more waveform-y but the results should be the same.

Loop mode set to FORWARD.

Delay set 50% and reverb to 75% on both waveforms.

The first waveform once the release is increased the clipping comes in. But it ends up being a nice hihat for me so I added a basic drum sequence.

Then the next waveform clips a lot less even in the higher notes.

So depends on the waveform and cool accidents can happen?

The Ottobit was not used in this video. Just there :upside_down_face:

EDIT: The 128 step sequence was live recorded in grid mode. I did not put those notes in the piano roll by hand :rofl:

5 Likes

Having some 80s Blackbox fun tonight with the OB6 -

2 Likes

Gotta love that thick chugging bass line

Awesome thanks! Seems like it would hold up to my uses. Really hoping they have an update at some point that allows you to route the fx send signal to one of the outputs, would cut down a lot on cpu strain to be able to use external reverb & delay in real time per pad in a streamlined way.

1 Like

Here’s some Blackbox action going on with the SSL SiX this morning. Recording broke down due to a card failure, so while I’m on the hunt for that, I just posted a really bad video instead :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That sc1000 looks sick… I’ve wanted a full standalone box like that for a long time. I’ve got decks and vinyl but it always packed away. Right now it’s 1000s of km away in a shed :roll_eyes:

I’ve added it to my wish list.

As for hip-hop type beats, yes it’s got all the necessary features, filter, reverb, good resampling features. The best thing is the workflow though.

I really like mine.
Also the Digitakt has a very good sound to it if your into more old-school hip-hop sounds, but BB is much better with its chopping, stereo, huge storage etc.

I just took this little video of a simple beat I made on the BB last time I used it. Main melody is a sample that’s been messed with then resampled and timestretched etc.
Beats are all sequences.

6 Likes

Also great to record your vinyl collection

3 Likes

Siiiiiick

1 Like

Haha, thanks :blush: real shit video, the track’s a lot better, I promise you that :metal:

Just for good measure, I’ll post another crap video.

3 Likes

I wish there was a way to bounce a clip to a wav as a resample on the same pad…Like i made something which has taken up all the pads and when i export the .als to Ableton it does not recognise the clips…So i somehow have to find spare pads to resample those clips to and all starts getting messy…

1 Like

Ah actually it seems to sync and work nicely when importing the samples manually into ableton (including clips i think) and not using the .als

1 Like

I’ve been using the BlackBox primarily as a drum sampler + midi sequencer for conventional songwriting. The idea is to compose on the BB and then leave gaps in the arrangements to play parts myself.

Routing here is:

Keylab 49 > BlackBox > Sub Phatty > Digitone > Minilogue. I’m meant to get a Meeblip midi thingy sent to my office but I haven’t been there in a fair bit of time with how things are. When I get my hands on that it’ll tidy things up.

This is something I’m working on based around a drum loop sent from a friend.

3 Likes

Cheers for the beat example.

I had a Digitakt for over a year, ended up making more EDM style stuff on it rather than HipHop lol. It didnt chop/slice the MPC way (not easily!) so I never really used it for that.
Don’t get me wrong the thing was amazing just not what I was after for breaks.

Definitely think i’d gel with the workflow on the BB more that the digitakt as it’s more a AbletonLive kind of clip n scene set up.

One thing you could try is, when getting near filling up the 16 pads, resample a couple onto a single pad, leaving you an extra pad to work with. I usual go for a max 10-15 pads, leaving at least one open to resample to.