1010music Blackbox

Dayum. I’ve been eyeing that combo since the dawn o’ time. I shall anxiously await your report, good sir😊

1 Like

I’ve been eyeing the BB for a long time, if it were possible to use reverb and delay simultaneously I’d have bought it ages ago, but still waiting on that and a few other major firmware changes to pull the trigger…

You can use reverb and delay simultaneously.

I saw this in the manual, doesn’t it mean a given pad can’t use reverb and delay simultaneously?
40 PM

That must be an old version of the manual because it’s not in the latest 1.4.3 manual. This version even shows a screenshot of a single pad being routed to both.

Though I’m confused, because I don’t think you could ever not send one pad to both reverb and delay. Maybe that part was written before the BB was released and they forgot to update it.

Oh interesting, yeah I was confused when I found that in the manual because I never saw any actual BB users remark on that limitation, which I figured someone certainly would have…

Anyway glad to know that’s not the case. Now just praying for a dedicated filter envelope (even with the current non-resonant lo-hi filter kept as it is) and I’m 100% in…

Got 1.5.1 and think I already found a bug :frowning: renaming (and saving) a preset looses everything.
Saved my Preset last night, then renamed it and saved.
Open the renamed preset, and the fields in PADS are all pink where the samples were, but no names or audio. Reload the samples into it, but all the loop points etc are gone.

Don’t know if it’s a bug in 1.5.1 or just new user daftness.
Does BB take nicely to loading a prior os?

Grid and Norns is pretty overkill as a sequencer for Blackbox, I feel…

Oh, definitely not getting Norns + Grids to sequence the Blackbox. Been eyeing it for a long time and am primarily interested in all of the different looping programs. If there is a good way to sequence the Blackbox with Grids then that would just be a nice byproduct. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a raspberry pi here and saving my pennies up to buy the Norns kit for it. It’ll be sick with the Bb although I won’t have a grid. I’m gonna use it mostly as an fx box. Let us know how that combo works!

1 Like

Anyone use the new notation launchkey with this? It seems like the blackbox really supports it nicely considering I’ve seen it on one of the 1010 presentation videos. Just wondering if anyone would recommend it as it seems like it could really open up the playability of the bb.

I think I’ll go back to 1.4 until it’s out of beta… I had a problem with corrupt recordings I never had otherrwise.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any demos of the BB playing melodies and chords with single cycle waveforms. Would anyone be able to make any recordings for me? :smirk:

1 Like

Sounds like a neat challenge. I’ll see what I can do to tmrw

1 Like

EDIT: Oh, I stand corrected. No single cycle waveforms in my stuff.

But the below applies anyway :slight_smile:

In general, I recommend against anything polyphonic. It doesn’t clip well when it cuts the notes, and the envelope really isn’t all that great for chords and stuff.

Monophonic stuff, it does really well, though.

And say for laying down chords, resampling them and then doing cool stuff with them, it’s great. Each individual strike of a chord or similar isn’t the problem, it’s when you go Mozart on it, where things break down.

2 Likes

Ah that’s very useful info thank you. In your experience this is even the case when playing non-chordal melodies with long decays that overlap?

Yes. In poly mode, it allows for four voices per sample slot when you go multi sample on it. But as soon as there’s voice stealing, there’s ugly clipping going on. This is very noticeable for longer stuff, such as pads or keys. For snappier things, you can’t tell as much due to the envelopes being short in themselves.

Which is too bad, because as a four voice sample playback instrument, it’s really good. The interpolation works really well, so it’s all there. But the clipping means you can only use it in very specific ways.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that if you resample chords and pass them through the granular mode you can get rid of clipping with some tweaking and filter changes.

Not ideal I know but I’ve been able to really mellow out some of that behavior.

Same goes with resampling the one shot with grain and filter and then using that to make poly chords works wonders and is a much easier workflow.

Going to see what I can do with SCWs in a few hours here so I’ll report back with some data and a video (maybe)

Also reverb and delay tax the CPU quite a bit in poly mode, so you will limit your sample count before you start to clip. I would recommend an FX chain back into the BB if you run into CPU limits too often

3 Likes

Excellent, thank you.

I always take a pretty rigorously minimal approach to production so I’m always excited when a piece of kit challenges you to use your voices and resources carefully/cleverly.

1 Like

The Bbox is definitely that, and in all the good ways.

2 Likes