1010music Blackbox

so hows this going for people? this looks like everything i want right now, any major glitchy vibes or buggy things going on?

1 Like

Is it possible to record unquantised midi with the Blackbox? I couldnā€™t find anything about that in the manual or elsewhere. Is microtiming in general available as a feature? If so, how does the editing work?

1 Like

No microtiming and I donā€™t believe it records unquantized.

2 Likes

Got my Blackbox yesterday and really love it! Will do some more joints on weekend and some videos with better audio quality.

6 Likes

Very nice review! A pleasure to read. :v:

1 Like

This would be a nice feature request. No quantize option.

2 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s a deal breaker for me :pensive:

Thanks, thatā€™s very nice of you to say :slight_smile: I really appreciate it.

Same hereā€¦ I need to be able to do sloppy ā€˜dilla-esqueā€™ drums. This is currently not possible right?

1 Like

Not to my knowledge, no.

Add a gap to the start of your sample and modulate the start point ?

Not ideal I guess , but it can make things sloppy.

Itā€™s a possibility, but to me itā€™s essential for samplers/grooveboxes to have the opportunity to ā€˜playā€™ drums/samples unquantized. I really donā€™t get why so many samplers (electribe, volca sample, po33 to name a few) only do quantized stuff, as it feels like a huge limitation.

I hope this is something they could add in a firmware update because the blackbox seems like a really nice machine besides this, iā€™m loving the stuff you guys make on it.

2 Likes

You could set the black box to resample and then play the beats live to create a sample.

4 Likes

Nahā€¦ itā€™s too hard to make it convincing. Itā€™s all about that feel. Also, I want something that will force me to become better at playing in time.

Maybe I should ask this in a separate thread, but itā€™s also related to this: How does the Digitakt unquantised recording work? Iā€™ve read the manual, but it doesnā€™t have all the info: if you record unquantised, is it possible to record more trigs than there are steps? (e.g. could you have 2 consecutive beats on with a quick flam-tap in between?) Or is it basically adding microtiming to each of the 16 steps? And with after-the fact quantisation, does it apply it permanently, or can quantised beats be unquantised later (like e.g. the Shakmat Four Bricks Rook)?

No.

Yes.

1 Like

Seems a relatively easy thing to implement - hopefully on the official wishlist

1 Like

Is there one? Or a roadmap?

Yes, on their web forum with a voting system.
It is pretty active and participated in by the developer.

Roadmap is not published though.

Whereā€™s the voting system?

When it comes to playing un-quantized, I prefer the option. Leaving things un-quantized is great for not only drums, but synths & vocals as well.

But I have a few pieces that donā€™t allow un-quantized playing & I just do what @re5et says, I leave air at the beginning of the sample. I know itā€™s not the sameā€¦ but when people mention ā€œplaying drumsā€ you can still ā€œplay your drumsā€ even tho it locks it to the grid, you can still playā€¦ & if needed, just adjust the start point. If I like the features / workflow enough on a piece of hardware Iā€™m willing to do this. For example I love the po-33 & Volca Sample, both donā€™t allow un-quantized playing, but theyā€™re a lot of fun, they have some nice tricks & of course theyā€™re cheap especially for what they can do, great value.

I see the value of the 1010ā€¦ & maybe thereā€™s another work around for un-quantized playing, not just leaving air before the sampleā€¦ doesnā€™t it have a looper too? Isnā€™t it possible to record & play a loop if you want un-quantized hits instead of laying each hit in the sequence?

I LOVE finding workaroundsā€¦ I know not every one feels the same tho.

1 Like