1010music Blackbox

Ok, that’s good to know. I’ve reached out to them and see what’s up.

For the record here is a video I made that show the issues I’m having. The first demo’s how the clock on the BB takes a few seconds to catch up with an incoming clock.

The issue I have with the Blackbox and the Pyramid (I think) is due to the fact that the power supply of the Blackbox isn’t able to power the Pyramid, therefore I can’t use USB Midi with the 2 devices. If I use Midi then the rock is solid… until I go to change tempo - and I then I have the lag as seen above.

As I was making a bunch of videos I made one that demo’s that for those wondering.

1 Like

Ah, hmmm. I had sync issues between the Pyramid and the BBox when both used the same portable power source. These issues didn’t apply when the BBox was plugged into a wall socket, though.

The 2nd video is the BBox plugged into the wall socket with it’s supplied power brick.

Unfortunately, the Pyramid doesn’t have a power socket, just USB which (if used for power) stops all USB midi functionality. :sweat:

It’s workable, but annoying.

Not all USB cables are the same. That doesn’t look like the supplied BB cable. When I first got my BB I used a different cable and it couldn’t carry sufficient power for the BB (it was a cable for data, not power). The supplied cable worked, and I’m currently using a DJ TechTools chroma cable for it that supplies enough power for it and the pyramid.

Ok, I’ll give that a try also. Thanks for the tip.

Behold. No wall plugs. All battery. Kitchen table mobile.

11 Likes

Yesssssss… the heat is so cool but I could never justify spending that much for those effects. I try to make do with other stuff…but man I bet those two together sound INCREDIBLE. Maybe I’ll snag a second hand heat one day…

1 Like

For me, the Heat is a mastering environment with a few tricks up its sleeve to boost. I never use the distortion circuits, only the clean, saturated or enhancement ones. Then, the EQ for trimming and opening stuff up, the filter for character, and finally the LFO and envelope to add organic movement. It adds so much to any source.

4 Likes

@circuitghost I don’t see any power cord on the Heat, did you mod it with an internal battery? How long does it last?

1 Like

I’m using a MyVolts Ripcord to power the Heat from the same USB battery powering the Blackbox. Not sure how long it lasts, but we’re talking hours, for sure.

3 Likes

I wonder if the new launchkey mini mk3 will work with a USB cable with the black box. It was a little unclear from loopops video of the mk3 if it’s plug and play. It would be awesome to use, I think better than the key step in many ways, because of the mutate and deviate arp settings.

If anyone’s interested, I’ve done a more thorough review of the Blackbox for CDM. It’s here:

16 Likes

I really wish that “it can be a live looper” was fleshed out in explanations. My dream setup involves

• Loops/tracks of different lengths (nothing ridiculous but even just 4 bars, 8, 2, and 1 would be nice.)
  • Switching between tracks is easy
  • stems can pulled out later
  • live chopping of loops (chopped up evenly and than trigger slices freely)
  • Loops/tracks of different lengths (nothing ridiculous but even just 4 bars, 8, 2, and 1 would be nice.)

Not a problem. I’ve had it play and loop 64 bar recordings with no issues. It can do longer, though I haven’t tried that.

• Switching between tracks is easy

Depends on what you mean. It’s not built around the concept of tracks as an Elektron instrument. Each slot has a sample. Each sequence can trigger any of the sample slots, one, a few or all of them. Each sequence can play independently of any other sequence. Turning these on and off and switching between them is very easy and can even be done in sync, if you want perfect timing between them.

• stems can pulled out later

As in load them while you’re jamming? This can be done. Load it, launch it and play. I don’t know how it compares to instruments that really define themselves as being able to do this, but for me, it works great. The closer you get to DJ land, though, the less I can say how appropriate this implementation is for spontaneous on the fly loading of new material. But it works and it’s seamless.

• live chopping of loops (chopped up evenly and than trigger slices freely)

You can do this live, though I’d imagine it might be considered fiddly. But load a sample, select Splice, assign a grid to it and a method to trigger the slices and you’re done. But it requires a few switches between screens, so it’s as smooth as for example the Toraiz.

2 Likes

I was reading that at MY kitchen table yesterday! Didn’t realize it was you. Ya k you for the in depth review.

I would love love to try one out, perhaps use it as the master recorder/arranger in lieu of my iPad… I’ll settle for continuing to watch development and reading your posts. :smile:

1 Like

I’ll do my best to keep it up :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you for the response! I meant different length loops at once, really. The slicing workflow sounds about as convenient as doing it on the Octatrack.

2 Likes

Well dammit, I just ordered one. Been watching info from afar about this device and I couldn’t hold out any longer apparently. Here’s to hopefully some sound samples coming soon!

3 Likes

Yep, it does that no problem. You can mix one bars with eight bars and sixteen bars and sixtyfour bars, and even half or just the fourth of a bar. In that respect, it’s very powerful.

1 Like