1010music Blackbox

A comparison between the two would be interesting, weighing all the pros and cons of both.

Yeah, I mean, the polyphone is fine as it is. More access points would be enough, not trying to launch more stuff at the time.

The iPad

• doesnā€™t (yet) take an SD card and a 256GB or 512GB iPad is fairly pricey/file management/transfer (currently) sux
  • requires a separate sound card on the end of a wire (plus a power adapter) to provide 1 stereo audio input and 3 stereo audio outputs (& CV), plus stereo headphones output
  • requires a DIN midi interface (BB has TRS)
  • canā€™t directly host usb midi controllers

Though BB isnā€™t trying to take over the iPad market, to capture a decent user base, and to keep its edge for some users, 1010 needs to stay focused on the design of the BlackBox software: keep it fluid, cleverly featured, easy to navigate and encouraging of creativity.

There is definitely a place for it.

4 Likes

And now list what the iPad offers that the BB doesnā€™t.

Why does that matter? Itā€™s not a question of which device has more to offer, itā€™s a question of why one would choose the BB over an iPad. If the things the BB has over the iPad are important to someone, they would have a reason to buy the BB instead of the iPad.

If Iā€™m looking for a synth that has 3 oscillators, Iā€™m not going to buy a 2 oscillator synth just because it has more features in other areas.

Anyway, Iā€™ve owned an iPad for 7 years and have never really felt inspired when trying to make music or even play synths on it.

5 Likes

Same here, Iā€™ve never felt inspired using my ipad for music. I really wish I could be inspired using my ipadā€¦ so much can be done on an ipad.

I do want to try incorporating my ipad into my set up somehow, maybe as a sound module. Or something to use with my Op-1 or sp404sx when away from the studio, I think it can offer a lot in a portable set up, itā€™s just finding a way to incorporate it & enjoy using it.

1 Like

I have both. iPad is amazing. Iā€™ve gotten more music done on the blackbox. Itā€™s so focused and contained- the iPad can do it all and a million things more. But it just isnā€™t the same. It isnā€™t about better or worse, one is just a lot easier for me to focus on. And some of the hardware specific things really help.

1 Like

Well said. Also I love your blackbox Instagram videos! Theyā€™re always a treat to see!

1 Like

In the meantime, Iā€™ve been ripping drum loops apart all evening with the new update. I love it.

1 Like

I would love to see videos from you.

3 Likes

New update available:

Version 1.2.2 includes fixes for the following issues in 1.2.1:

• Loading bitbox presets, including some of the factory content would result in samples that could not switch pad mode
  • Live MIDI Keys data is not sent to the MIDI Output channel on a pad
  • It is possible to overload the unit playing several different notes on Granular pads when using Gate launch mode
  • The Speed on Granular mode goes below zero but doesnā€™t do anything.
2 Likes

I got zero video skills, thošŸ˜Š

1 Like

SoundCloud?

1 Like

Yeah, as youā€™ve noticed, Iā€™m not much for publishing my noodles, just finished tracks, and theyā€™re far between right now.

But I donā€™t know. Maybe my thirty second adventures into granular land could be worth something.

What do you do for audio in your Instagram
videos @vegeta897? Just the phone or a separate recording?

Zoom H5 as audio interface for the phone.

Yeah! Donā€™t be stingy!! Share some of that process:)

Thanks circuitghost,

Wellcome the iPad discussion, because it can serve as test platform before spending money in a set that works on the paper. Maybe a combination of Korg Gadget and BSP is nice enough for my early purposes.

My worries are about if you can trust on a tactile surface with menus when playing live and no risks are allowed.

Ha :blush:ok. Away from my gear for a few days now, but once Iā€™m back, Iā€™ll post some stuff.

3 Likes

Whoo!!!

1 Like

I looked in the manual and through the forums and am feeling a little foolish, but I canā€™t figure out how to do resampling. I know where itā€™s located in the menu but how does it work? Whatā€™s the usefulness? People go nuts for this feature but I never understood the purpose or benefit of it. Any tips?