1010music Blackbox

Had a quick go and this thing is really opening up with the FW updates. The granular sounds nice enough. Now I wish they would bring CPU load visible to help avoid glitches.

1 Like

would love to be able to externally sequence all the sample parameters!

2 Likes

Yeah, this is my biggest wish in addition to a robust firmware. Makes sense, because the entire thing is very much a great fit for external sequencing

1 Like

They should introduce an optional ExtSeq firmware that removes the sequencer and song mode and beefs up everything else given the freed up cpu.

Still like the onboardelementary sequencer but bb works so well with an OT/DT/MNM etc

3 Likes

Great update. Iā€™m cancelling my daughterā€™s birthday. Iā€™m sure sheā€™ll understand as the years heal the wounds.

12 Likes

This update could be the final push to buy one. I would love to hear a demo of the granular synthesis.

I messaged aaron on the blackbox forum about the cc parameters, I never got an answer about it. I have been able to use pitch but nothing else
Any advice? The manual is barebones about that part

Ya more cc would be one of my requests.

An XML File on the sd card to map any function to any midi cc or note please!

1 Like

Iā€™d go for more internal modulation before CC, but Iā€™ll take either if itā€™s offered :grin:

1 Like

I use an external sequencer that does modulate params so it would be cool. But ya internal modulation would be cool, maybe dedicate a sequence of the sixteen available just for modulation of parameters

Well holy shit.

Maybe Iā€™m easily impressed because I have so little experience with granular, but I love all the tonal qualities possible with grain size and count. Itā€™s great that it automatically plays through the sample at the speed you set (independent of pitch), and obeys your loop mode/markers. And the spread is a nice way to add even more interesting variation.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s really neat stuff. Yeah, I want one. :slight_smile: @vegeta897: thanks for sharing! :+1:

1 Like

Damn now this box becomes even more appealing. Oh myā€¦ Christmas may be early this year haha

3 Likes

Fwiw I was planning on returning mine till this last update. Nothing wrong with it, itā€™s awesome. But this update made it so much better. I didnā€™t even have a big hankering for granular but now that itā€™s there, itā€™s super fun!!

And the fact that they really are steady with updates makes this promising to hang onto. Highly recommend!

1 Like

@ddiamond84 Iā€™m in the same boat.

Should anyone use the Blackbox instead of Digitakt for live performance?

My requirements are to have songs saved an play efects live, sending some long sounds also.

I would play it with an Arturia BSP.

:thinking:

1 Like

Might be a pretty strong combo. The Black Box can play (very) long stereo files. I usually record longer takes with it myself, for example a bassline from the Tempest which goes on for maybe 32 or 64 bars, adding small variations with modulation and live playing all the time to make that loop not really a loop, but just a very long take of a sequence thatā€™s harmonically looping but constantly moving in texture, not because of randoms or LFOs but because of live playing.

Since it launches those recordings both as clips or sequenced from the sequencer, and both clips and sequences can be triggered in sync from external devices, the BSP can be a powerful companion to the Black Box in this regard.

Where you might run into limitations, is the sixteen sample slot part. As cool as it is, you only got sixteen samples accessible at one point per project. You need to load a new project to get new ones, and syncā€™s not tight between projects.

You can get around this with slicing, which offers a few variations on how to both slice and then play those slices. But it is what it is, and perhaps one of the major things to consider if youā€™d bring the Black Box for more extensive sets.

1 Like

I wonder if thatā€™s something they can work on improving with an update. 16 is fine and a ton of fun, but 24-32 would be ideal.

1 Like

As an iPad owner, I donā€™t get the appeal of this. Yeah a few knobs and buttons but my iPad with music apps just seems so much better and more versatile.

3 Likes