1010music Blackbox

Just bought a Blackbox recently. Have had samplers going back to very early Ensoniq, Akai, Roland and Yamaha models and still have quite a few of these.

Thereā€™s something very immediate about the Blackbox and it reminds me of when I first enjoyed playing with sound. Very well thought out and great fun.

7 Likes

I can relate, my first sampler in the 90s was an Emax II, then a E-mu E4k. Blackbox gave me a bit of a deja vu (even uses the same pink as the emax2 logo). Itā€™s more limited in some ways (filters, modulation, fx) and much more advanced in others (memory, sequencing, size). I appreciate its simplicity because it puts my focus on the essentials of a track.

4 Likes

My Blackbox is still my favorite sampler. Itā€™s so easy to use I made a great beat while blacked out. I really feel this will be the future classic especially if we get a v2 with a performance FX section in line with the SP404. Iā€™m replacing my OP-1 with a Digitone but BB will never leave me

EDIT:
Managed to flip my BB for a good condition Digitakt, so GAS won out even tho itā€™s been my fav. Been gassing for DT way longer and just had to do it. No regrets

2 Likes

I just picked one up thanks to this thread! I got a couple hours on it this weekend. Itā€™s a fun box.

I was concerned about the pad limit too, @Schnork. But as you said, slices provide a perfect workaround assuming you donā€™t need sample polyphony.

For example, on my first project, I recorded 8 different chords into one long sample on a single PAD. I played the chords in succession, letting them ring out for a couple bars apiece. Then I sliced and sequenced them into a chord progression. From there, I created alternate chord progressions using different SEQs all using a single pad.

You could do the same with any samples that you donā€™t need to spread over the keyboard, e.g., a bunch of individual percussion hits.

1 Like

Just got a Prophet 5 and itā€™s getting to know the old Blackbox. I think they get along quite nicely -

3 Likes

I can confirm that the Blackbox will power and send MIDI to a Korg NTS via the USB A Host port and, shockingly, you can send the audio from the NTS to the Blackbox with no hum.

I am very pleasantly surprised! :slight_smile:

Edit: You can plug another lead in with no hum for FX purposes. Watch your monitoring path if using headphones! (Still, WOOHOO!)

7 Likes

Has anyone had luck setting up and controlling their Blackbox from another MIDI controller? Been thinking of getting a midifighter twister or faderfox ec4 and using it as a more physical interface than the touchscreen.

I know you can trigger pads via MIDI notes, but is there a way to arm or start recording on a track, or later clear the recording?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had some luck with the novation launchkey mini 3, but I canā€™t get all of it to work with the BB and I donā€™t know why (like start stop and record)

Itā€™s a bit fiddly, and I have a feeling the individual temperaments of midi gear might make a difference here.

When Iā€™ve used the Deluge as a sequencer to record audio into the Blackbox, Iā€™ve had to manually arm the Blackbox (as in keeping Record pressed) and then start the Deluge sequencer, and then it works. For my purpose, itā€™s just a theoretical inconvenience. But in a more complex rig, I would imagine this kind of behaviour isnā€™t great. This is one area where the Octatrack, for example, is superior - arming, triggering recording, that kind of stuff.

Midi in general works fine, though. Playing it from a keyboard, having it send thru messages, all works fine. CC is what it is, many of the parameters canā€™t be tweaked but itā€™s clear from the interface which can and canā€™t be.

The Launchkey mini mk3, when you go outside the keys/pads/pots, just sends midi cc, and that includes (Iā€™m pretty sure) the transport controls. Youā€™ll need something between the Launchkey and the BB to map those fixed CCs to midi transport, Iā€™d guess ?

Cheers, thanks. Is there actually a midi note you can send to trigger recording from a button? Was hoping to configure a control interface like how the RC505 works.

1 Like

Not that I know of, no. I see what youā€™re going for there, tho. But as far as I know, no.

The small faderfox units work but I had no luck powering the midifighter with it. It seems more power demanding controllers are too much for it.

Works easy here. You can set the led brightness in the editor.
I mapped everything to the twister, i can share my template soon.
You only have to remember to start from the mapped preset everytime, which sucksā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that the BlackBox can be used for a combination of sample playback and sequencing external gear. (Looks like it may well be my next purchase).

So I have a particular question, that Iā€™m finding it hard to answer: If youā€™re using a keyboard as USB input, when youā€™re playing the keyboard to trigger a particular pad (whether recording or not) can those notes also be sent onward to midi out (TRS midi) so I can hear the external synth ?

@circuitghost looks like you may have just answered my question, but Iā€™m not entirely sure.

1 Like

Interesting, never thought of lowering the brightness, makes sense. Cheers.

On the left. Is that a intellijel case with the 1 u in the middle? Where did you got that? I am asking for a friend :wink:

Yep. Itā€™ll work. Prepare for a mess, tho. Thereā€™s the midi routing from individual samples and midi routing from separate sequences, as well as global midi settings.

But itā€™s worth the pain. Iā€™m currently applying your exact use case in my rig, and itā€™s working. Took me awhile to get there tho :blush:

1 Like

The Blackbox and BASTL DUDE make a nice combo. I experienced several issues trying to record separate Blackbox outputs into an Audient interface and editing the tracks in Logic. The audio levels and sound quality for some reason never matched what I heard in my headphones. I read several threads here of Blackbox users managing outputs via a mixer such as @circuitghost. The BASTL DUDE did the trick and the results are night and day. Each of the 5 mono tracks can be cranked to 20 dB gain to boost a signal. I havenā€™t tried this yet but because each channel provides enough gain, the Dude can also be transformed from an audio mixer into a tone generator by feeding the output back to the input through a passive EQ. The Dude runs off batteries and can be put in a backpack with the Blackbox, small MIDI controller, and recorder of your choice to make music at the park. Or as as the Dude says, " Yeah, Well, Thatā€™s Just, Like, Your Opinion, Man."

1 Like

Nice Combo! Cranking levels on the dude makes for some tasty crunchy sounds. Try feeding some drums and crank it up^^

1 Like