Why can't the A4 do warm pads & chords? [SOLVED]

There was a big thread on Synthesizers and Drum Machines on facebook about it. Essentially many all in one synth companies are getting their oscs from the same place. That includes the new Behringer Neutron. If you look at the DSI page even, it doesn’t say what the P6 or the OB6 use for a filter. Only says custom discrete. Certainly it’s not the original CEM or SEM filters because they are no longer being made. Only clones of them.

1 Like

Thanks, friend.

1 Like

Hey @Dusk1983 , your Soundcloud link appears to be broken (for me on iOS, at least). Would you mind checking and, if necessary, re-posting please?

Having spent the week reading through one of the most healthy Elektronauts discussion threads ever, I’m itching to hear where you ended your quest.

Iv decided to use tetra for pads, amazing sound

@Unifono i think i used one of your sounds in my last video, did you make BOCISH?

1 Like

I think it was @dustmotes if I remember correctly.
I recreated his patch and adjusted it slightly but I can’t remember the patch name

(Ambient, BoC) Live Looping - Analog Keys through Octatrack

1 Like

But yeah sounds like I could have labeled it like that. On my A4 there are three projects in a row called:
BOCISH
BOC like
BOC like_again

:joy:

4 Likes

@Unifono I think it’s yours. Thanks. And yeah, i have labeled some stuff with boc somehow in the name. It’s this one. Track 1. The other 3 are slightly modified from the lowend collection.

8 Likes

Sounds like relly good warm pads & chords ! :wink:

2 Likes

Guys, do you know how to make this kind of pads?

Yeah, i’m not a real sound designer type, usually more find and modify accordingly, but to my ears that’s as much warmth as i was going for.

BoC pads is the only thing I can make on the AK :smile:

2 Likes

The P6 Filter is a redesigned SSM discrete Filter Clone circuitry that DSI also used inside the Pro2. Sounds juicy enough to my ears. The OB6 OSC are derived from the SEM. In fact P6 and OB6 Share the Same Mainboard, but Filter and OSC Voice Boards are different and both discrete. That A4 and DSI uses Coolaudio OSC is Fake news. What Else to expect from Fakebook? :roll_eyes:

It’s not from FakeBook - just a widely covered story that they all use coolaudio “parts”

1 Like

Yes DSI used the CEM Filter for the Mopho, Tetra, Prophet 08, Prophet 12, Rev 2, Tempest but not for Prophet 6, OB6, Pro 2.

You can read that also in the DSI Site: https://2048ln27dggo3horm847q86q-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/DSI-Synth-Comparison-Chart-4.4.pdf

The only Coolaudio parts on the P6 Voice cards are VCAs. VCO and VCF are fully discrete build. And IIRC so it is on the Elektron A4 Voice Board. Only VCAs are from Coolaudio.

Here are some Photos by Pete Brown (Check His Flickr Account, He Made 69 Pictures of His A4 from inside)

The four voices. You should be able to make out most of the ICs in this photo. Inside the Electron Analog Four 4 voice analog synthesizer.

I could make out a number of chips in the full size version of this photo. Including:

Coolaudio V2164 (their version of the SSM2164) Voltage Controlled Amplifier.

www.coolaudio.com/docs/datasheet/V2164MD_DATASHEET.pdf

There are two of those per voice (presumably one per oscillator?) plus another that may be he overall amplifier.

Two parts that are all over, but which don’t appear to have public part numbers:

TI HJ4051 26KG4 AKTS

TI TO64 2AKG4 C550

I wouldn’t think that Elektron is large enough to get custom numbered chips, so maybe I’m just unlucky in searching. Those two ICs are pretty much every chip in the voice, so I assume they are matched transistors, op-amps, or similar. I don’t believe the HJ4051 is a CD4051, as it wouldn’t make any sense to have that many multiplexors in there.

NXP HC373 Octal latches

4 Likes

Just watched this on youtube. Fits nicely in this thread I guess

9 Likes

That guys stuff is so good

1 Like

Agree 100 %

1 Like

What a great thread!!! Learned so much about synthesis going through this, thanks everyone

4 Likes

Is there any good soundpack for A4 that has many ambient pad-patches?
Something really playable and relaxing sounds.