What do you use the Cue outputs for?

I never used them much, so I would like hearing what you people use them for…

3 Likes

Splitting audio outs for better fidelity.
If I have everything running through the main outs it sounds muddier and less distinct than if I run loud signals (kick etc) on dedicated channel

3 Likes

extra set of outputs to go to external effects etc

1 Like

Live looping

2 Likes

I use cue outs as my master outs, so as to have a physical master vol knob. Couldn’t live without one tbh, all my other elektrons have one too so… IME living without a physical mastervol knob always ends up blowing up someones ears off eventually, doubly so whenever mics are involved :nyan:

Obvsly running studio mode

3 Likes

How does that work?

Yeah have mine mostly studio mode running an outboard reverb pedal, not only is it a better reverb but it frees up the fx slots for other stuff. Sucks that i lose inputs but choices must be made.

2 Likes

Space reverb and TC Delay Pedal send FX

2 Likes

Live sample iPad or RS7000 or SU700 or Der OTO sequences that I create on the fly. Save them to the OT sample list then give them the OT treatment while using the iPad/RS7K/SU700/Biscuit as an effects tool.

Sometimes use a cue out to send the OT metronome as a clock signal to a Volca or a Pocket Operator and live sample myself jamming away in sync with whatever’s connected to the MIDI in. Then everything gets the OT treatment.

With the cue outs, you can do a lot of damage quickly with just an iPad, an OT and a knob per function CC-compatible synth as the other OT input (in my case, either BS2, Biscuit in synth mode or Blofeld).

4 Likes

For recording!

I send kick and snare/clap out of main L and main R, respectively.

Cue outs are my stereo output for everything else.

10 Likes

For example in studio mode :

• Drum from Machinedrum > OT live rec this this on track 1 and track 2 , sending track 1 to master (analog four) and track 2 to MD sampling again, then I use delay echo freezed on track 2, cued to MD who receive the scene affected track 2 (echo freeze locked to special drum version of original pattern)
    So this create a shortwave from drums who can now be sequenced as a bassline on MD.
    resended to Octatrack with an other output than master.
    MD > OT >(( master A4, echofrozen to MD) A4 >monitoring. (MD echofrost version > OT > A4).

lel

1 Like

Cue outs are essential to resample OT’s metronome, you can’t internaly (in theory, I read someone who said he recorded it with SRC3 internal record sources…:thinking:)

4 Likes

Cue outs --> analog delay…
Using normal mode and have cue mutes track turned on in the personalize options so when I cue a track it gets cut from the mains and sent through the delay…

Edit: Right now they’re not attached to anything so I forgot, in my full setup they go to a mixer channel that most of the time is auxed to the delay, but also can be sent to another aux and be eq’d. This way everything attached to the mixer can still feed the delay.

5 Likes

Oh right! Neato!

Oh hot damn I need that in my life.

I swear the personalize options is the place where most surprises come from.

FX send here. Hooked up to an SP303. Dirty.

2 Likes

I send tracks 1-3 to mains and 5-7 to cue when multitracking. I organize sets of sounds so 1-3 is more highs and 5-7 is more low mids. Tracks 4 & 8 I only use live as an input for Rytm and master track respectively.

3 Likes

Just got my octa 'bout a week ago (been wanting one for nearly 6 years).

Been using tracks 1-7 as cue out, main vol low. Track 8 has the cue at low volume and the main volume high with a flex machine (recbuffer8) and rec trigs live sampling the cue out. This way 8 is like a master track, but I can mess with pitch/rate and an extra trig to repeat the begining of the last little recorded bit when I want (i have all swing trigs on track 8 set to 51, so I can easily pop trigs in and out without having to worry about microtiming each time).

6 Likes

What is your physical master vol knob ?
I thought about invert Cue and Main too, to have the possibility to plock FX sends, with Main as fx send.

No particular problems with that routing ?
I guess no T8 Master track ?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I use the studio mode and the headphone output jack is my physical output jack in this case. So the hp vol knob effectively becomes a mastervol knob.

And yeah, no master channel as track 8 here. I can’t spare a single track on my octatrack for such ”nonsense”, every track has a strict use :diddly:

my typical track config is a like this

In cases where I don’t need a turntable & mic, the AR and A4 are input in stereo, otherwise mono.

2 Likes

Same. Nonsense and silly talk to waste a track in such a way :rofl:

1 Like