Waldorf Quantum

Was thinking to go there today but I had to work long…

So as part of the 1.10 update is the addition of two more wavetable parameters that are modifiable (that is they are in the modulation matrix). The two new modifiable parameters are Wavetable Spectrum and Wavetable Table – for each of the three Wavetable selected for either layer. You can actually change the selected wavetable via an LFO or a wheel, or whatever other source you want from the modulation matrix.

An example of this can be heard in this video.

I think this would be useful in particular when used with wavetables made to be somewhat similar, where the difference will provide subtle change of mood with slower rates of change. (3-10 seconds or even slower) The demonstration here seems to use more different wavetables, that were changed more rapidly.

But of course it all depends on what you want – and no matter what it’s sure to supply some surprises.

1 Like

If only Elektron would combine the AK,AH,OT,DT into one flagship machine Quantum will have some serious competition. Right now Waldorf are the new kings

3 Likes

Ambient experiments and tweaks on the Quantum

Done by Lesindes
Described as: Complex live tweak of WALDORF QUANTUM with 2 RING MODULATORS and. Osc 1 & 2 GRANULAR and Osc 3 with WAVETABLE.

ADDED: Listening to this for a second time. The stereo effects and movement is really good at times.

3 Likes

Short video using the Q more like the Prophet X. The resonator is a powerful part of this synth.

1 Like

Slightly confused by the constant comparisons between the Q and PX. Other than price, they’re completely different beasts imo. I suppose there’s commonality of digital synthesis, analogue filters and use of samples. But surely the Q is more of sound design tool and the PX is better suited for live stage use. Also take the sample aspect away from it and its basically a P12.
I’m more excited for the Q personally.

2 Likes

I agree dBridge they are different beasts – although i think comparison in general is a useful tool in understanding, as a way to discover the potential of each synth. As you well point out the two aren’t completely apple and orange. I think both can take influence in operation from the other. I am not completely sure and am open minded about this, but the video i posted two days before this one, with ambient type performance, would i think be more difficult to copy on the PX. I guess that reinforces my thought that the Q has a greater range of possibilities out of the box, as i think you would agree. But I think that the Q would also work well in live situations, it just will take a little more time to get it’s operation into your mind and fingers. On the other hand i can see many things, like the Q’s Favorite’s Tab, making the Q very good in performance too. The control surface on the Q is great too.

As for the video, i am trying to get clear on the methods in the sound generation used here. The video shows chords being played on the Q, which i don’t think is generating notes per se, but is instead changing the function of the resonator. I thought it’s only the Particle synth that can be made to operate live on external audio, would be good if the resonator can do this too. The drum parts seem external, is the piano-like sound too?

A couple more videos from a channnel called Synthesizer Video Service. This person is making their own patches. They both sound really interesting.

One: “My Own Presets” 31 minutes
Two: “Resampling and Granular” 8 minutes

Btw, wasn’t having a pop at you personally for comparisons, I see the same thoughts on Gearslutz too

It’s a good point in general Darren – it bugs me too. Here’s a for instance of baseless comparison – when someone starts a thread asking “which synth should i buy”, and then lists two synths from entirely different planets. To which of course most often comes the reply, “What is it you want to do?”

I rewatched the short video i listed above labelled "“Resampling and Granular”. I learned quite a bit from it, it’s more or less a how-to tutorial on internal sampling and then using a sample in Particle. Nice to see the use and audible effects of practically all the Particle parameter controls. I now understand about the graphic display and audio effects for Particle, showing the grains, grain polyphony, length, attack, decay, jitter, etc.

Plus this video made the use of the mode buttons above the touch screen very real to me. I must say i really like that part of the interface. I like Axel Hartmann’s ideas in general. There is good mobility with the ui for the Q.

So i like the Particle synth’s sound and operation and it’s controls. Another aspect on this synth i am getting more familiar with and liking is the Digital Former. The comb filter portion of it has got a resemblance in sound and function to the Resonator synth (i believe they are mathematically similar), but it also can be used with the external inputs to modify any audio source (and of course then resample).

The Particle synth, of course, can also be used on external audio input directly, it is the only synth on the Q that can.

But from this video i can also tell i will find the touch screen annoying when picking something from a vertical list or using a slider bar. I’ve seen the fuss the operator makes carefully guiding their finger in multiple videos on the Q, including ones from Rolf. I wonder if there might be a good touch screen stylus to use with the Q, that would help with this?

I pulled the trigger on one and I can say without doubt the touch screen is f’d. To the point where I may have to return. I have to apply a ridiculous amount of pressure for it to register anything in the centre area of the screen, I’m also having issues with the dials to the right of the screen. It’s making exploring a real chore at the moment, which isn’t what you want from a new synth.

2 Likes

Yep
Better off with Nave on an iPad

I have one since June and have no problem with touch screen —perhaps your one is simply faulty

2 Likes

No that is not true

3 Likes

Good to know! You said dials to the right of the screen, i assume you mean the rotary encoders the physical dials. If that is what you mean, it really does sound like this is a repairable one-off manufacturing defect, and not a “feature”. Also good to hear that d2ba has had no problem with his Q relative the touch screen. I can deal with annoying, but failure, even partial failure is a no go. It does also concern me about longer term reliability.

Fortunately there is a retailer an hour and a half from me, that has their own in house repair facility. I think i will have a discussion with them relative some details on this. I have time now before i commit, or even before the Q would be available.

Yeeeeeeeahhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa !!!
Finally, it’s here!!! (located in Switzerland)

For those who speak/understand/can translate french language, here is my review after 3 days with the Quantum. https://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthetiseur-hybride-analogique-numerique/waldorf/quantum/avis/r.164927.html

Had a Prophet X for 1 month and I can compare these two beasts. Quantum is the big winner, hands down!!!

9 Likes

That is one sexy piece of kit right there.

1 Like

I read through your review Astrolab – with google translate i at least got the gist. (outside of the cultural references – Stéphane Collaro?) “Choqué, absolument” I like all the detail of your experience, and you do make quite a lot of comparisons to various other musical systems too, which is good and gives me a frame of reference. Thank you.

And i like that you picked it up with your bike – i think i’m the only American who has ditched cars and driving, and it is nice to hear of a more international approach to life.

1 Like

i wish waldorf would just make the microwave again

1 Like

A new ambient machine is born :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/cgO90YVTw6Q

2 Likes