Thinking to buy Digitakt

Ok i’m close to pull the trigger and buy an Digitakt … but i don’t know what to do after i read all the bad reviews. Is it really that buggy? Should i wait and save more money and buy an Octatrak2 ? I ask the people who got the Digitakt. Would you buy it again?

It’s rock solid for me and i would buy it again. Keep in mind that Overbridge is not out yet and it samples in mono.

3 Likes

Idk what people are talking about bugs. I really havent encountered any and ive been using it almost every day for a month so far

I will say that having a digitakt has made me really want an octatrack. But at the end of the day i think theyre 2 very different beasts.

If i lost mine id definitely buy another. Its been my favorite piece of gear so far.

3 Likes

Had mine for two weeks now. No bugs. It’s great. I’m making beats fast than anything. Really nice controlling other gear as well. Do it!

Same here. No bug. And i love it to death. I also got the Digitone and could not be happier.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I forgot to say i will use the digitakt most of the time only for drums. Maybe some sampling when i’m in the mood. What should i check first on the Digitakt? I read somewhere that some units got sticky buttons.

A lot of the hardware issues that happened on older units from the first production run or so seem to have been worked out. There also no longer seems to been any major bugs with the digitakt software.

I’ve had mine for about a year, started on firmware 1.03, it was bad. On 1.08 now and things are quite good.

2 Likes

I’d recommend thinking carefully about what you want to achieve with the Digitakt before buying it. I love mine, but it’s very clearly designed for quite a specific style of working.

If you want a quick, accessible entry to Elektron-style sequencing, a fun sketchpad for working with samples and doing a bit of sound-mangling, a MIDI brain for your other gear or a sample-based drum machine, then I can’t think of anything better.

If you want to compose whole songs in a DAW-in-a-box style, use lots of polyphony and velocity, or work with complex effects and live sound processing, then it’s going to disappoint you.

Overbridge aside, I feel like a lot of “bad” Digitakt reviews are not the result of the machine doing things badly, but of it not being designed to do the things that certain people want it to do. It’s obviously not people’s fault for wanting those things, but also not really the Digitakt’s fault for not being designed for them.

For better or worse, the Digitakt is a focused rather than all-encompassing tool: whether or not that works for you depends entirely on what you’re using it for.

11 Likes

I’ll chime in since I’ve had mine since release. I use it for drums and some atmospheric elements. I’ve had it crash a few times but that was early on. It has been rock solid, feels great and has made me quite a bit more productive.

I feel like a lot of complaints come from fairly experienced users who’d be better off with the Octatrack - people who maybe wanting more out of the Digitakt than was planned for by Elektron.

Overbridge however… That is a fair complaint on the digitakt and Elektron.

1 Like

It’s great, get one and learn it inside out - it doesn’t take long, which is nice!

1 Like

OT + DT is a great combo. frees up the OT to do more experimental stuff. As an intro to “elektron workflow” digitakt is perfect IMO. If you decide to purchase an OT later, they will complement each other well.

outside of the sample playback engine and the plocks on the sequencer there’s not much overlap. the fx options/scenes/crossfader make the OT a totally different beast in my books.

digitakt would have been my first choice if i had the option years ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Digitakt is amazing- I haven’t had a single issue with it. Unless you consider instant and reliable joy whenever I use it as a bug!

You should totally do it

2 Likes

I agree. I think it’s also possible the complaints come from DAW users. If you come from software & have no experience with hardware, it seems they expect the hardware to do it all like a DAW. I started with hardware, but I see complaints like that every once in awhile in the sp-forum. Sp’s (sp303, sp404, ect) are limited machines. People will complain about it missing the most basic features. But if you look up the specs it never claimed it could do those things.

Maybe think about what is important to you, what do you want from it? Then make sure it can do it. & can do it now…not “maybe later”.

Workflow is important too… if you haven’t already I would check out some youtube vids & watch other people make music with it.

1 Like

I think it can be easy to become convinced something is buggy by reading threads where potential bugs are discussed. But remember, not all are confirmed bugs. Some times it is just user error.

Having said that, I am not fully convinced that as a power user, the DT will be a smooth experience for me yet… So I haven’t bought one. I don’t care about overbridge, but mono sampling bothers me, I must admit.

I could be wrong though. I want a box to improvise on, sample live and manipulate samples and midi tracks on the go - and I like the simplicity of it. It’s just what I need and nothing more. Except stereo sampling…

I was about to start a thread like this myself, and here it is. Tough choices. And all that. :grinning:

1 Like

Judging from the responses, it sounds like the over sensitive encoders are unit specific then, os updates have done nothing to change that.
Everything else seems solid( other than the odd sticky key), although there may still be midi problems, I was originally quite excited about using them to bring my other gear together but by the time they fixed them I had found other things to do.
I will say that if you favour using longer melodies over stabs and beats the Digitakt can become a bit restricted, there is always somewhere to go but because the digi cant time stretch any change of pitch you might use to transpose will put those samples out of sync with the rest unless you work in mulitples.

what about RYTM ?

this video convinced me to buy octatrack (…in the future)

2 Likes

No issues with mine.

Second everyone saying how great it is. It’s my first hardware sampler and definitely the most fun and creative instrument I’ve used. Every time I turn it on something interesting comes out, it’s got me out of a creative rut, it’s pushed me to make music in genres I’ve never tried before… most of all, it’s just great fun!

Loved it so much I got the Digitone as it’s partner in crime, the two of them go perfectly together.

It is a bit of a shame that it only samples in mono, I’ve been making atmospheric stuff on my iPad and sometimes it loses something when made mono although you can use LFO pan and delay to bring some life back into it. Understandable compromise if it meant the difference between 4 and 8 tracks though - would love to be able to swap two tracks for one stereo one. Anyway not a huge deal and gives me a reason to lust after the OT haha.

Would be lovely if they could add a second LFO and the base/width filter from the Digitone though!

But yes. Do it!

1 Like

I’ve had mine quite a few months now and it hasn’t crashed once! the only bug that I can see is the mute lights are sometimes mirrored, elektron confirmed with me its a known bug, fingers crossed it will be sorted soon! @tdmusic the bass width filter is something I would love to see added to this box too, its the missing link for me, would happily live without OB with this added :slight_smile: cough couch @elektron

1 Like

Yeah, without the filter it’s quite easy to end up with the bass being a bit muddy (as often I want to LPF sounds with an envelope). I know you can resample the sound with HPF applied but I’d rather be able to tweak it.

2 Likes

Thank you all for the answers. I’m going to order it on Monday!

2 Likes