Thinking to buy Digitakt

I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer the OTMKII over the Digitakt, but I don’t discount the reality that for many people, the Digitakt is the more ideal machine.

It is more immediate, more compact, and that reverb is a nice little instant gratification knob that never disappoints.

As much as having only one stereo output + still no overbridge is somewhat of a burden, the addition of the master compressor made it less of a burden. It was the only Elektron drum machine without a compressor. With the compressor, it is more capable as being an all-in-one solution.

The Digitakt is still, however, the only Elektron drum machine without some form of a band pass / base-width filter. This is a big piece of the puzzle for getting a good mix of the internal tracks going into that master compressor. If Elektron could squeeze a base-width 2nd filter, or even a band pass filter mode into the existing filter section, then for me, I wouldn’t even need Overbridge to get a great mix out of the Digitakt, without resampling, and all by its lonesome.

6 Likes

Absolutely, really hope there’s enough DSP headroom for them to squeeze another filter in! Sure the Elektron wizards can find a way

2 Likes

Even if it isn’t a 2nd filter, a’la Digitone, just an additional bandpass filter MODE in the existing single filter would go great lengths.

And it’s all over the wishlist threads, so it must be on their radar. The compressor was another wishlist item. :smiley:

5 Likes

Seriously!

Not counting OB, my desires for Digitakt are:

-Bandpass Filter
-Stereo Pass Thru(not even with FX processing(maybe just a gain parameter)

Then(plus with OB) this box, in my eyes, couldn’t be improved upon(other than internal routing for the midi tracks-but that’s just peak laziness)!

4 Likes

What about the TR8S? Hmm hmm

Ok change of plans… After some research on digitakt, tr8s, rytm mk1, mk2 i’m almost going after the Rytm Mk2 …you just can’t beat that …

I think you’re supposed to

1 Like

very close to listing my DT on eBay, I got an MPC1000 with JJOS and it knocks the stuffing out of the DT. Anyone who harps on about the DT P-Locks and Trigs isn’t creative or skilled enough to program them. I love the MPC100 so much thinking about getting another, its an older machine but MPC1K specs make the DT look highly restrictive. it has 64 tracks, stereo sampling Digital I/O, plus a massive midi sequencer.

• Pattern-based and linear 64-track sequencer with 32 MIDI channels
  • 32-voice drum/phrase sampler with up to 128MB RAM
  • Velocity and pressure-sensitive pads for expressive programming
  • 16-level pad function maps one sound to all pads with varied level, tuning, attack, decay or filter per pad
  • Two Q-link sliders for real-time performance control
  • Built-in Compact Flash drive and USB port (Mass Storage Class)
  • Standard WAV files samples and MIDI-file sequences
  • Analog and digital I/Os, headphone output and two MIDI In/Out
  • Internal sounds in flash
  • Four-way sample layering and velocity switching per pad
  • Four-pole filters (two two-pole filters) filtering for each of the 32 voices
  • Two on-board effects processors plus main-output effect processor, all which can be used simultaneously
  • Outputs can be re-sampled

Have you ever used 64 tracks ?

1 Like

It’s funny, I sold mpc1000 after buying a DT. still have the MPC60 lol so i’m good.

i’d say for electronic music the elektron beats the pants off MPC. For hiphop the other way around. For all other types of music, you can get pretty much the same things out of either. DT D/A conversion is much deeper and cleaner than the 1k. MPC sequencer is more full featured, and Q-link sliders can get you P-Lock style stuff pretty easily.

3 Likes

I love the straight copy and paste from the Akai site. Wonder if all those feature actually work on a stock mpc 1000.

Does that mean you can assign a different sample to each layer - therefore different samples played for certain velocities?

You Can, just checked the manual

“When you assign more than one sample to a pad, you can
switch between samples by the velocity used to hit the pad.”

Also thinking of picking up a Digitakt as I have nothing that can sample. I love doing chops, glitches, and stutters as fills, but currently do it all in my Daw. It seems the Digitakt could definitely fulfill this roll and might be helpful to have a hardware sample player and secondary drum machine. I use a Digitone and have always loved the workflow. I’m debating Takt vs Octatrack, but I know the Octa needs a little more finessing and understanding to get good results. I had tons of fun playing with a Digitakt at Guitar Center, it goes bonkers when you star flipping the sample slots, start times, etc…Guess I’ll have to do more research.

1 Like

I’m selling one… it’s in great condition.

1 Like