Octatrack 2 or Digitone

Totally subjective, but given that you are here for subjective experiences:
You have many ways to manage and mangle samples in extreme ways inside ableton: sampler, simpler, impulse, drum rack and even throwing a sample in arrangement and work on It infinitely.
Regarding synthesis, ableton has a lot of options too, but I never got to find an inmediate and intuitive way of using them, even less if we are talking of drum synthesis.
That is the main reason I would prioritize a synth rather than a sampler if you are good using live.

2 Likes

You could, but you would have a much, much more difficult time than just buying a used DX synth or cheap analog synth and working with that.

I say this as an Octatrack (Mk1) owner.

This is the problem. Im trying to get one object to do everything. I want a sampler/keyboard/analogue/dx/ thing lol. But out of everything ive seen the octatrack comes closest. I like learning. I love reading manuals. I love creating new sounds. I think im almost there.

If anything comes close to doing everything it’s the Octatrack… Besides Ableton, etc… :slight_smile:

That’s a good place to be in if your thinking of picking up an OT…

1 Like

I think the OT can be a great if somewhat unconventional synth, if you are prepared to accept certain limitations like obviously only 8 note poly (but then you could still resample) I have made all manner of sounds from very different source sounds, for example an acid bass sound from a vocal sample, or a piano sound from white noise.

But it takes a fair bit of dedication and experimentation as well as a knowledge of sound design principles/techniques, and it can be time consuming. Of course you can also just load it up with a bunch of premade samples and use it more like a normal sampler, although as others have already said you lose a fair bit of depth and options compared to using it as a synth, so probably the best approach is to combine both methods.

One single cycle used in OT, audio in link…

1 Like

+1 for DT / DN combo. Immediate. Sounds great. Fun. Then once you made 128 patterns on both, get an OT2 and take it all to the next level

1 Like

Usually a bad practice to think building Instruments from Sample with the OT like a Kontakt Sampler Multi (NI), Halion, MachFive, NN-XT, EXS24, Akai Sampler or MPC…

Because it’s time consuming and require a lot of layers to make something working regarding playability, realism etc… Even if things starting to change with Physical modeling synthesis… we’re not there for now. (see Piano programs and Piano tech progress made with Physical Modeling of course, not exactly the same with synth I agree)

The OT is better at throwing few pieces and experiment, experiment on Loops as add-ons (in this state)
AND other gear handling other stuff like one-shots in the Rytm, and other gear for Synthesis like A4 and Digitone etc… I even think the DT like one-shots drum sampler to complement the Rytm (like getting more voice or using it to Sample with MK1 or playing long one-shots without choke on the same voice (Rides, Hats, Clap etc…)

IF you are an old OP1 user I think you probably will take more pleasure with Digitakt + Digitone

If you make live performance and don’t know who can take the Loop part of your materials and need eventually to tweak it far away and make something completely different or need to stream extra Long Materials > then only the OT can take this place :slight_smile:

See the OT as a Dr Octo Rex and not as a NN-XT…
it’s all the WAY slices and no Sample program with velocity layers : period.

which is also Time consuming because I tried with the MPC Live to make something like that. you will make few programs and then you will get tired and stop “The Labors of Hercules…”

Better to Bet on Simplicity, Fun, more Immediate results, Make music and less programming, Playability and Feeling when you play…

Of course Experiment is a key and the OT very good at it !

I applaud your enthusiasm and interest. But unfortunately I don’t think you will understand hard it is to create a chord progression or even a simple melody on the Octatrack, using synth samples; until you actually have one yourself and try to do it.

You could create a melody on any of the cheap Korg Volca synths in like a couple of minutes - you’re looking at hours on the Octatrack. You’d have to learn a lot about how the Octatrack operates to get that melody tone.

Let me repeat: Hours of work vs. a few minutes for one melody.

I’m not challenging your work ethic or intelligence here - just trying to help you save time/frustration, based on my experiences with gear.

For the cost of an Octatrack, I would again advise getting a simpler sampler instead like a Digitakt or whatever; plus cheap synths. I promise, you will be much more productive and happier; and still learn a lot at the same time. Later on when your experience and knowledge demand a more capable sampler, the Octatrack will be waiting…

You’re of course free to disregard my advise and buy an OT anyway. If you do, take good care of it so it will be in good condition when you put it up for sale a couple of weeks later. (kidding… or am i??)

3 Likes

Lol. Yea of little faith. I used samples on OP-1 and patched them(scaled them) to individual keys. I wrote many tunes this way and although it wasnt quick it was very doable. Is there any difference?

The Problem with the two digis is two screens. Id have to be concentrating on two screens at once.

1 Like

I have an OP-1 too.

Are you expecting to play the OT keys like a keyboard? Yeah, it takes a lot more work to do the same on the OT.

I’ve only seen one person walk up to stage with just one OT, and do his whole set with only that. Impressive as hell I must admit. Usually what happens is the OT owner ends up adding an OP-1, or a Volca, or some other external thing; but that comes with time and discovering what workflow one likes and all that.

The OT might very well take hours, weeks, months, or a year to get used to…

But after that you :elot: to be able to live record slices, slots, or chromatic to make a melody lickidy split… :rofl:
(With all the disadvantages mentioned by using samples instead of a real synth, but also with a bunch of advantages of being a sample in the OT instead of a real synth)

Not one person has ever been ready for an OT. It just calls your name, you bring one home, and it decides if it likes you or not… :joy:

I’m pretty sure it’s not even up to you, the OT makes the call to whether it stays with you or not…
There’s only one way to find out… :wink:

4 Likes

Cheers guys. Heres my thoughts. I will write bassline/melody/drum pattern on vst. Then import samples. Now I can have fun. Once their written i can do with them what i want. Then back to Ableton for editing and post production.

With the Digitone i was drawn towards what you are mostly saying in that its easier and much quicker. Im slow anyway lol so speed isnt going to frustrate me. But easier? Well thats why i asked. Will the octatrack drag me in or not.

I think your right. Nobody is prepared or ready. The OP-1 was a steep learning curve. Its something you grow into and learn as you go.

1 Like

I’m on the fence with you…
I’m not going to give any specifics, only strange vague innuendos…
Feel it out… :rofl:

http://project1404.com/monolith2/ you can use an OT as a wavetable synth. It’s crazy.

1 Like

The Merlin guide is pretty good. Is there going to be an updated one? I love manuals!

I would start with the OT MKII, and then add the Digitone at a later date
They make a lovely pair.

I’ve been making all my sounds on the DN and then I use my OT MKII to offload DN tracks. It allows me to apply the bigger unison DN sound with more voices to more tracks (while sampling), and the pair turns my DN into a 12 track beast with 6 outputs and some fun scene trickery for live use.
Of course you’d be able to do this with an OT MKII and any other synth. That’s why I suggest the OT first. Getting good with the OT and with no other distraction pays dividends.

FWIW, my most productive work has come from pairs of Elektron sequencers. MD+A4, MM+AR, AR+A4… but I am finding the OT MKII + DN pair to be the absolutely most powerful and interesting sounding. Either on their own are powerful enough to get a track started and nearly fully hashed out without the other. Adding the other just accelerates the finishing process.

8 Likes

one thing to keep in mind if you don’t currently have any synths to work with the octatrack mk2 you are a bit more limited in chromatic range than the other current electron products which makes me feel octatrack works better in a larger set up and having to resample too often for more chromatic range is a bit too much of a pain. Lots of the features on it really only come to life when incorporating other instruments as well. I think Digitone, A4, Digitakt or Rytm would be nicer options if you’re looking to write more melody in them just due to note range. Pretty curious about the Rytm MK2 new bass synth once that update comes around.

Imo you need to complement any sampler with a synthesiser.
Trying to mimic a synths functionality with a sampler just doesn’t cut it, as you lose the specific synthesis parameters necessary to tailor the sound in any way

1 Like

Thanks. Thats really helpful my friends. I can see the logic behind neding two devices at least.

It s now down to
Octatrack 2 and vsts
Octatrack 2 and Digitone
Digitone and Digitakt

If i use vsts to create samples plus my Sony field Recorder would that be better? How do people on here feel about vsts like Diva? I have Luftrums help with incredible patches. If i used them as thats what im used to i would have more time to mess around on the Octatrack. On the other hand the Digitone has it already mostly done. I like the idea of learning the Octa without distractions. Plus i know its inept but i really like those backlit buttons and Sample generator for randomization. Plus i hear sequencer triggers are so helpful.

Thankyou again all this is really helpful.