The Elektron machines you have owned - rank them!

Currently i own Octatrack, Rytm, Digitone and Heat, all MK2.

I like them all and use most the Octatrack as it’s the brain of my entire setup.

Octatrack would be perfect if the polyphony were at least 6 voice and more FX slots. Hope they can do it in the MK3 !

1 Like

Bruh hook me up with a Mk2 Digitone :joy: You must know a guy, huh?

2 Likes

Ops, all except Digitone sorry lol

Why is the DT ultimately redundant?, in your opinion

As much as I love the Digitakt, I can do everything it does elsewhere in my system and better. I have plenty of ways to sample/play/manipulate samples and sequence them with Elektron sequencers (Octatrack, Rytm, MDUW). I have plenty of MIDI sequencing in my room. What I don’t have is enough space. The trouble is, I really do like the immediacy of the Digitakt, and this is why I re-bought it after selling it off the first time.

3 Likes

Yes, that appears to be DT’s ace…its usability,compared with the OT etc…

Thanks for that

1 Like

Just to correct myself,…you said immediacy…, not usability. Once you’ve mastered or got your head round the OT etc they’re usuable…, if not as immediate?

I’m liking what I’m learning about the MD. I’m thinking of pairing this up with a DT as I do like sampling, and the MD I’m looking at is the non UW, which seems a little over my budget atm…can’t find a decent UW for less than 1200-1500£££’s
Either this pairing or just go for the OT mkii
( you’ve taken part in my other topic Ryan regarding what machine to go for so you’ll know where I’m coming from perhaps)

I think what I’m saying has some relevance as newbies to Elektron may be looking at all this to form some kind of knowledge and understanding if they can’t get their hands on a machine…to test drive…

1 Like

I have the non-UW myself. Obviously the more features the better, but the synthesis is the main attraction in my eyes

Oh, and as I’m an Autechre fan the MD is what they were using during the early 2000’s, Quaristice eg

2 Likes

OT mk2
OT mk1
A4 mk2
A4 mk1
MD MK2

Very brief flings with AH and DN

I’ve been surprised with how happy i was with the Mk2’s over the mk1’s but then again i was estatic having the mk1’s when i did. Elektron makes great instruments.

1 Like

If I ever master the OT, I’ll let you know… :rofl:

Seriously, though, no the OT isn’t as immediate to me and I’d not expect it to be. Maybe if I only used it to do what the DT does, it would be. But the OT always takes me down tangential paths.

The Digitakt was pretty much my go-to sampler for quick n’ easy sampling. However, I have plenty of samplers, many of which are nearly as easy to use, and offer more for the space they occupy. Rest assured, it wasn’t an easy choice to get rid of it (again). I really loved the sound. I just didn’t need it.

3 Likes

What’s your dual Octa workflow like?

1 Like

I’m using one for strictly beats (custom breaks, midi sliced breaks from my DT and MD, also custom stem breaks done in Renoise etc), then the second for bass an synths (from the DTs, Sids and synth patches made in Reason and Reaktor)…basically running both in sync but running different arrangement modes…having two is a must to really get song complex songs done. (I do hybrid jungle/idm) writing in two at the same time is a bit odd at first, but the benefits are worth the effort…mind you, your prep work is essential part aswell, I take lots of notes and pre-game my samples and ideas, load em and dig in.

5 Likes

DN
MnM MKll
SID
MD MKll
OT MKl
DT
A4 MKl
AR MKl

1 Like

mono
md
ot
a4
ar
dtone.

I still have the mono, md and ot.

do I have to rank them?

the first 2 are my soul instruments.10/10

the ot… 5/10 - it’s wilfully daft!

the analog things were too slow. …programming them at about 150/160 bpm . sloppy. dropouts.

the Digitone… sounds lovely but! just needs about another 2/3 months in update .

Also, ditch the dark faceplates. the originals are boss in all light conditions …

ohh yes the screen on the Digitone is shit.

1. Digitakt - great small easy to use sampling box
  2. Digitone Keys - my favorite poly synth at the moment, i like the slim shape
  3. Digitone - great versatile fm-synth
  4. Rytm mk1 - good for quick beats with overdrive
  5. analog 4 mk1 - good concept and user interface, but the sound lacks a bit compared to my other synths
  6. Analog heat mk1 - can do nice tricks, could use a higher output
  7. Octatrack mk1 - yes powerfull, but i always have to look things up in the manual when I come back to it, just recording simple samples is too complicated, we never became close friends over the years.
1 Like

A4 mk1
AKeys
MDUW
OT Mk1
AR Mk1
MNM
Heat Mk1

1 Like

The classics never die

MD
MM