The Elektron machines you have owned - rank them!

We had a favourite Elektron machine thread before but not a ranking thread, so I thought I’d start one, here’s my ranking.

1. Octatrack mkI & mkII (can’t decide which I prefer yet, both at top)
  2. Analog Four mkI (it was close to being top)
  3. Monomachine SFX-6 (sold)
  4. MDUWmkII+ (sold)
  5. Heat
  6. SFX60mkII (sold)
  7. Rytm mkI
  8. Sidstation (sold)
  9. Digitakt
  10. TM-1
    I based my ranking on how much I use(d), how enjoyable to use, capabilities (to me), reliability and overall satisfaction.

Edit - forgot a few!

10 Likes

I’ll play!

3 Likes
  1. MDUW
  2. DT
  3. A4
  4. DN
  5. OT
  6. MnM
  7. AR
  8. AH

This is based on combinations of machines played by itself and with others. By themselves- AR would have scored higher/OT would have scored lower.

5 Likes
  1. Digitakt

If anyone wants to help with my list, I accept donations

71 Likes

:sun_behind_small_cloud: A4
:partly_sunny: AR
:sun_behind_rain_cloud: OT

12 Likes
  1. Monomachine (SFX60+ mk2)
  2. Machinedrum UW+ (mk2)
  3. Octatrack mk1
  4. Analog 4 mk1
  5. Digitone

:elmd: and :elot: are in a tight race for that number 2 spot. I enjoy how much fun I can have just sitting with the :elmd:, while the :elot: really shines when playing and processing other gear. It might win out eventually. I think if I had to get rid of a lot of gear, I’d hold on to :elmm: and :elot: more than anything (even machinedrum). But Machinedrum is still more fun to to just play.

4 Likes

Ranked on how much I enjoyed them.

1. DT
  2. DN
  3. A4
  4. AR
  5. MM
  6. OT

Of all these boxes, only kept the DigiTwins.

Octatrack is a special case. While it was quite enjoyable in the studio, I absolutely hated it on stage. Also, hardware problems with it.

5 Likes

List based on the only two I’ve owned :wink:

1. OT
  2. DT
7 Likes

1: Octatrack - no contest. One of my favorite instruments ever invented. MkII, MkI - it hardly matters. I have a MkII now, but it was the MkI that first turned me on to Elektron instruments.
2: Analog Keys - best CV controller/sequencer I have ever touched. And a great synth, too!
3: Analog Four - so good that I sold it and bought the Analog Keys
4: MachineDrum - so good I wish I had a MDUW
5: Analog Rytm MkII - Elektron really got it right with this one. The ultimate analogue drum machine, in my opinion
6: Digitakt - I love the sound quality and it makes a wicked wavetable synth. I sold mine and lasted less than three days before ordering another. An embarrassing mis-judgement on my part!
7: Monomachine - Unashamedly digital, something I can appreciate in a world saturated in analogue (no pun intended)
8: Analog Heat - an essential companion to my Haken Continuum. I now rarely use the latter without the former.
9: Analog Rytm MkI - a great analogue drum machine - if only it could sample!

10 Likes

OT
A4
MD (new)
AH
AD

4 Likes
  1. OT
  2. DT
  3. AR
  4. A4

Only DT now. Might add a DN down the line but I tend to get a bit flustered when I have more than one complex instrument on the table.

7 Likes

It’s was not easy, but:

PL-2
PSU-3
ECC-2

55 Likes

The unsung heroes

2 Likes

Bit of a difficult task.

OT MKII *
DN *
A4
AR
MD MKII
AK *
MM MKII+

“*” = still own

7 Likes
  1. Digitone
  2. Digitakt
  3. MonoMachine
  4. Rytm MkI
  5. A4 MkI

SID Station stands alone. Heavy sentimental value there, and I could simultaneously rank it above and below the others.

Here’s a really bad Google-cached image of the two that I and a relative made from ours:

Vacuum Fluorescent Display, separate analog and digital power supplies, separate micro-controller (8 bit HC05) to run just the LEDs which had “Knight Rider” mode and cycled left and right :smiley: (the most important feature)

I wish I had better pics.

SIDStationRack

12 Likes

Here’s mine

1. A4
  2. OT
  3. MDUW
  4. AH
  5. DT
3 Likes

I only have an OT and an AR, you know what I’m going to say…
It’s not as easy as you think for me to put AR in second place to anything though, I feel like it stands on its own as a completely different thing than the OT, but when it comes down to it, if I could only have 1…
PL-2… :joy:
Oh, fine

1. OT
  2. AR
10 Likes
  1. Digitakt - took everything I loved about the Octa and made it more streamlined. The center of my setup, I barely even use the sampling part, it’s an awesome midi sequencer, sold my squarp pyramid and kept this.
  2. RYTM MK1 - Endlessly enjoyable, I will never part with it unless to upgrade to MK2.
  3. Octatrack MK1 - Loved a lot about it, annoyed by quite a few things as well, it has been sold
  4. Analog Four MK1 - No real complaints, sold but kind of wanting to grab another one down the line
  5. Monomachine - Wanted to love it, but I have an intense dislike of chiptunesy sounds and they seemed to like popping up a lot.
6 Likes

I’m not suggesting anything or have any particular concern over your gear choices…
But I find it interesting that a few of the ones you don’t have anymore outrank some that you do…
Are the ones you have now just better for what your up to at this particular time?

1 Like

Oh, no.
AK is squarely on the chopping block. Just haven’t been motivated to post it for sale yet!

Bought locally so don’t have a second shipping box for it yet, either.

3 Likes