The Elektron machines you have owned - rank them!

MD is maximum power and funky, whilst the OT is everything and nothing the same time.

I guess Machinedrum wins instantaneously - and yet, the Octatrack is a progressive value, experienced over time; similar to when societies move from nomadic hunter gathering to stationary established agriculture.

8 Likes
  1. OT MKII
  2. AR MKI

That’s it. I would definitely not get rid of the OT unless Elektron revamped the same concept with something more. I’ve really been considering trading the AR for a MD but I probably won’t. I think I’d miss the low end too much.

2 Likes

:joy: cracked me up !

3 Likes
  1. OT - my favorite midi sequencer, fx sequencer, and drum machine for the type of music I’m going for those days. first elektron machine I got and will be the last I let go, and probably only for an OT MkII
  2. DN - sounds amazing, great execution of a sequenceable fm synth
  3. AH - also sounds great, quite a lot of bang for buck in the saturation / overdrive / distortion department
  4. AR - decided after >2 years that I’m letting it go, my life is too short for the effort it requires to sound right and I’d rather have crazier sample control in my OT getting overdriven by the AH than the limitations of the rytm
  5. A4 - never gelled with the sound, also required too much effort for my liking
3 Likes

In terms of how often stuff gets used on my tracks:

1. A4
  2. OT
  3. MM
  4. MDUW (sold)

In terms of overall fun to play with:

1. MM
  2. OT
  3. MDUW (sold)
  4. A4
1 Like

MnM mkll
RYTM mkl
OT mkl
DN
AK
MnM mkl
MD mkl
DT
A4 mkl (sold for AK)
AH (amazing but not an instrument)

Don’t think anything will ever be able to top the MnM to me. Such a beast

2 Likes

otmk2
otmk1
a4mk2
ak
a4

4th time I have brought a a4. think it’s a keeper now I have mk2. same with otmk2.seems easier to use. less menu diving

2 Likes
  1. OT mk1 - alien technology in a groove box
  2. AH - ping the filter to make tones to feed the OT, then process resamples, then use it to treat the outputs for live work. I may get another one.
  3. AR mk1 - thought it would replace my Nord Drum, but really is a different thing altogether.

I’m really impressed by work I’ve heard from the AR. I haven’t spent as much time with it as the OT, but that’ll change. I see adding either DN, A4, MnM or Virus TI at some point replacing my iPad. . Really happy with the hardware approach coming from DAW’s. The things I really miss from all of this gear is a multitrack recorder with loads of mic inputs and all of the loops and sounds / presets that come with the DAW’s.

2 Likes

After my first few days with a Digitone, purchased while travelling, enjoying it a lot plugged into my omnicharge and waiting in the hotel lobby for flight home.

Amazing little groove sketchpad that is, to me, happily quite easy to not make sound too FM thanks to the filters and envelopes.

So it’s shot up close to the top of my list but incomparable to the OT (being No 1) as so different.

Better than the A4? Yes when it comes to portability. Timberwise it seems more flexible too.

2 Likes

Hmmm, having done a little bit of number crunching

THE OVERALL WINNER?
(By a mile )
Octatrack

Runner up
Analog Four

Third is three!
(And this is close)
MM
AR
MD

From the original thread OT came first 27 times,
MM 10 times and A4 9 times, AR 6, MD 5, DT 5, DN 5, SID 2.
OT had most top three entries, followed by A4, then close together AR, MM and MD.

I coupled together the mki’ and ii’s as one machine. Eg if OT MKII came out top followed by MKI with AR third and MD fourth I’d put OT number 1, with AR 2 and MD 3…

This topic is over a year old so it’ll be interesting to see how the DT’s and DN’s are coming along and whether the trinity plus MM/MD still hold primacy?

I guess my motive for doing the check is that I am still undecided which machine I am going for following my experience with the DT.
My yearning is for OT mkii, but I wondering whether to get a MD mki and maybe coupling it with DT for the sampling capability, or even plum for A4
???

3 Likes

DT
ARMKII
A4MKII

Because thats the o DT order i bought em.

1. Analog Four (if the A4 did external midi sequencing it would be in my top 10 synths of all time)
  2. Machinedrum
  3. Analog Rytm mkII
  4. Digitakt
2 Likes

From best
AR mk2
DT
DN keys / AK can’t decide
A4 mk2
OT mk2

1. Monomachine
  2. Machinedrum
  3. Octatrack
  4. Rytm
  5. Digitakt
  6. A4

That’s my Rank

• Heat (because it make things better on everything)
  • Rytm MKII (because it’s just at its best with MKII, shape then resample : SO NICE)
  • Analog Four mkII (because it inspire me LowEnd101 and it’s open my eye)
  • Analog Keys (so better with keys regarding synthesis and giving life to the sound)
  • Analog Four mkI (I must admit i prefer MKI in terms of design and form factor)
  • Rytm MKI (I must admit i prefer MKI in terms of design and form factor)
  • MDUWmkII+ (considering acoustic + electronic in one box you can’t go wrong)
  • Octatrack mkI (it’s a BEAST, it’s a BEAST period)
  • Octatrack mkII (-1 point for the small screen instead of mark I, I’m old ! I need glasses)
  • TM-1 (it was something at some point…)
  • Monomachine SFX-6 (because no sparkle for me)

I guess I will buy it everything a second time hahaha (one day … :frowning: )
Also I want to Rank Digitone and Digitakt so I need to own to be able to rank
I need to see if Heat MKII is a step further than MKI also … :confused:

How much I need ? oh damn so much ? :frowning:

2 Likes

How does resampling work on the rytm? Can only the MKII resample?

My ranking is

1. Octatrack Mk1 cause I haven’t messed with a Mk2, but I like 1’s aesthetic a lot. It’s sound design capabilities are endless and I go down some serious rabbit holes. Yesterday I loaded up classic looney tunes cartoon sounds, trigger them with claps and water samples at the same time, panned/p locked everything, then resample it and set a scene to affect the delay, rate… What an incredible instrument.
  2. Monomachine SFX60+ MkII because it’s a fun little box that will also take you places if you let it. Unique, sparkly digital sounds. Bbox machine sounds great with some filtering and fx and p locks.
  3. MD Mk1. Sold it to fund my Octatrack. I’d rather play with drum samples, but I sometimes entertain the idea of getting a drum machine to play with again and to keep a more open mind…

Wish I owned more of these bad boys. But I’ve only been in the Elektron game for a bit over a year now :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Items in bold are the ones I still have

1. Octatrack (MK1 and/or 2. Either you love it or hate it and I love love love it)
  2. Analog Keys (this one is interchangeable with the OT for first place)
  3. Machinedrum UW (started with non-UW. It’s a classic for good reason)
  4. Analog Four ( so good, I traded up for the Keys)
  5. Monomachine (so digital. So good.)
  6. Digitone Just got this one, so it has’t had time to work its way up the list. So far, so good.
  7. Analog Heat MK 1 (love it on Continuum, where it lives)
  8. Analog Rytm MK1 (I like to roll my own sounds, so I love the drum synthesis)
  9. Digitakt (I’ve owned two. None now. They sound great but are ultimately redundant)
  10. Model:Samples (fun, but redundant in my room)
  11. Analog Rytm MK2 (tried twice and they were nothing but trouble)
2 Likes

Yes that’s an option introduced by MarkII it’s close to digitakt in terms of work. It’s (Drum layering in mind) crucial to me as you can filter/eq : resample, glue together : resample without the need of a computer. On RYTM markI it’s nice but I will have to prepare my Top Sample to layer so I end up with the combination I want sonically. Otherwise it’s too much of frequencies addition (not usually) but regularly.

1. Octatrack mkll (x2)
  2. MachineDrum UW mkll (+TM-1)
  3. Digitone Keys
  4. Digitone
  5. Sidstation (x2:ninja/silver)
  6. Digitakt
  7. Analog Heat mkl
  8. Model:samples
  9. Octatrack mkl (selling this one, for obvious reasons lol! I don’t need 3 lol!)
    still own them all
    I also use an Elektron bottle opener, that they gave out when the Digitakt was released, no audio out though lol!
5 Likes

1- DT - #1 spot seems arbitrary because they’re all awesome. But this has loads of sonic potential. The interface + Elektron’s approach to sampling is really fun, I love being able to twist and mangle real life sounds per step super cool. I rank this over the Octatrack mostly because it’s much more intuitive to use and because with the DT the end result is always more aligned with the initial integrity of the original sound. With the OT you’ve got a vast array of FXyou can put on the sound and eventually take whatever sound and make it sound like anything you want mostly. It always raises questions of why am I even using this sound?

2- MD(UW)- it makes excellent percussive sounds and it seems limitless- this thing always gets filled up with little experiments. It’s hard to ever land on what a sound/kit/pattern should eventually be

3- OT- absolute powerhouse, I’m always impressed by the things that gets spit out of this thing

4- DN- just a brilliant assortment of synthesis types all immediately accessible from the same source. This would have been ranked lower on my list if it weren’t for the operator offset update- now it’s just a brilliant Pandora’s box of potential

5- A4(mk1)- I just like the way it sounds. This slot was either going to be A4/MnM, and I have to go with the one I currently own. The interface is better than the MnM(despite the countless things the MnM is capable of), and I’ve had some great times playing around with this thing.

6- MnM- it feels sad tanking this thing so low because it really is an awesome machine. It’s just hard to fit into my setup. Despite its massive potential it takes some work getting the right methodology down for working with it. But the FX elements of it are absolutely amazing- it’s it’s own sound source and you can manipulate it as though it were its own track. Rough/dirty FM machines makes some excellent sound effects/experiments. Really sad this gets ranked so far down on my list

7- AR(mk1)- I either didn’t care for this or had a modest appreciation for it. I don’t know why. It’s synthesis and sample playing in a single device, it should be immediately approachable. I just didn’t care for the synth engines that much when I had it. They weren’t nearly as diverse as the MD engines- and the tracks I make don’t really call for deep heavy percussion and most of the synth parameters seemed to only apply subtle changes. The scenes and performance macros are the best out of any Elektron though so much potential with that and the use of layering sounds was brilliant. Input to compressor was mostly useless for me

8- AH(mk1) - eh, distortion. Not really something I need. Thought it would have been cool to run MD/OT through it, but it felt like I was covering up the design of sounds I made from the feed boxes. Not to mention OT lo-fi distortion was/is my favorite sound effect. Don’t have enough of a need to purchase for an fx box.

2 Likes