The Elektron machines you have owned - rank them!

Why the a4 mki over mkii?

When I got my A4Mk1 it was still all blue skies and happy thoughts. That and my OTMk1 was a lot of fun. Had more time to do music in the good ol’ days too! I eventually got into a funk and sold off loads of gear (this happened in two separate cycles).

Anyway, I got the Mk2 and just didn’t enjoy it. It looks better. It even sounds better. The UI is easier to get around too. I just had a gigantic feeling of “meh” the minute I turned it on. So really it’s all to do with me rather than anything Elektron did right or wrong!

2 Likes
  1. Octatrack mkI
  2. Analog Rytm mkI
  3. Analog Keys
  4. Machinedrum UW mkII
  5. Monomachine mkII

Some days I would swap 3 and 5. When I need the Monomachine, there is nothing else that will do. But, the Keys pulls of a lot of heavy lifting with ease.

2 Likes
  1. Octatrack MK2 (the cosmetics, and little things like the newer buttons for some fast access on minor things)
  2. Digitakt (after returning my OTMK1, this helped me stay in the elektron flow and also helped clarify some confusions in flow and terminology from the OTmk1 days)
  3. OTMk1 (the grandaddy of em all that made me a fan).
3 Likes

1 - MnM MKII
2 - OT MKII
3 - MDUW MKII
4 - A4
5 - AR MKII
6 - DN
7 - DT

[sold OT MKI]

4 Likes
  1. Analog Rytm MK1 - Love using it as a groovebox and trying to make whole tracks with it.
  2. Monomachine MK2 - Sold, regret it
  3. Digitone - Really like it, favourite Elektron midi sequencer so far. Finding it a bit hard to fit in the mix with other gear though.
  4. Machinedrum UW MK1 - Sold, regret it
  5. Digitakt - Had some QC issues with mine which kind of ruined it for me. Will probably pick another one up some day.

Worried this thread is going to make me buy an Octatrack!

7 Likes

MnM mkII
A4 mkI
DT

It might not be the greatest sounding synth in the world but I love my MnM to bits… it just seems like it came from another planet. As soon as I fired it up out of the box I could not stop laughing. It’s badass.

…and these three are a very good combination together.

I could replace the DT for an OT but the workflow on the DT is so fast and fun… I watched the Cuckoo comparison video and the immediacy of the DT kinda nailed it. I do appreciate they are different but there wouldn’t be much point in having both would there?

4 Likes

Since I have an MD I’m obcessed by MnM…
Strange how it can be the favorite or the last choice…

2 Likes

:smiley: I’m kind of worried that it’s going to make me buy another Monomachine. Haven’t had one since right after the SFX-60 first released.

2 Likes

Always obsessed by MnM. Will i ever buy it?

2 Likes

Here I go:

1. Digitone
  2. A4 mk1

3. AR mk1
4 Likes
  1. A4 mk1 < IMHO the most elegant, deep but easy to use machine from Elektron
  2. MNM
  3. AR
  4. OT

Waiting for my DN…

6 Likes

I had Rytm, A4 mk1&2, Octatrack mk1&2

I think the only box I really love is the A4
I like mk2 better than the mk1

Ot makes me sad, doesnt fit my workflow
Ar I dont really like, prefer drum sounds from A4

4 Likes

MnM 2
MDUW 2

OT 1
DT
AK

A4 1
AR 1

The silvers are in a league of their own.
Next three are great as well.
Had the A4 twice but nah… AR never really impressed.
Now I hope to get the DN.
surprised so few mentions the Heat.

2 Likes

AR MK I
MnM MK II
AH
A4 MK I (sold)

I’m in sonic bliss with the Rytm + MnM, all slathered with saturation from the Heat.

2 Likes

Just a thought, not true for everyone, but I guess people who began with MD/MnM still love them, people who began with A4/AK/AR and TRC don’t gel with them ?
OT is between. I felt confortable with MD in a few hours, after OT and A4…

1 Like
  1. Monomachine mk2+
    What a weird and wonderful machine. It feels endless, and I love the raw, digital nature of its soul. I decided I would keep just one Elektron a while back, and this was the one.

2. Machinedrum UW mk2
    Fantastic as well, and the only serious ‘the one’ contender, against the MnM.

3. Analog Four mk1
    Kinda liked it, but never loved it. I found the general sound slightly boring. Was never really on my radar, but got (and sold) it very cheap.

4. Octatrack mk1
    Yes - I did take the time to learn, and I understand the potential, and love the idea of it, but to me, it just sounds bad.

3 Likes

I Always thought a4 made a better drum machine than ar…

2 Likes

OT (se brain.)
Heat (just wow.)
MDUW+ (too fresh, may get on place 1 some day)
AR

2 Likes

Curious how so many people rate the a4 over the AR for percussion… it’s strange and unexpected.

The Rytm should be like the boss / father figure of drum machines.

1 Like