Rytm + Korg PadKontrol

I picked up a used PadKontrol to go with my Rytm. It’s working really well - just wanted to suggest it as an option to others. Some thoughts:
[ul]
[li]Most obviously, it’s a much better option for finger drumming than the AR’s built-in pads. They have their own light feel that’s a bit different than MPC or Maschine, but the Padkontrol pads are some of the most responsive out there. Really nice.[/li]
[li]Allows you to do MPC-style chopping on the Rytm. I have a Padkontrol scene set up where all of the pads trigger the same AR voice at a different velocities. On that voice, I turn off velocity>volume, then link velocity to sample start or sample slot. Lots of slice-y options on easy-to-play pads. You can tweak exactly what velocity each pad triggers at to control the precise start point of the chop.[/li]
[li]Runs standalone on 9V and has a MIDI port. And you can configure the settings on the unit itself. (I point this out because it’s unlike some of the other pad controllers out there that are tied to the computer, only use USB, etc.)[/li]
[li]Haven’t even explored it much yet, but the Padkontrol has nice roll and flam features. Very easy to get high hats recorded in with more velocity variations this way, unlike the current retrig setup.[/li]
[li]Haven’t even started messing with the XY pad or assignable knobs…[/li]
[/ul]

Heh, I was just looking at one of these at a music shop yesterday… Sounds like a really good padcontroller, think I need to get me one! Only one thing, can you tell me if it supports MIDI thru? I’d kinda need this feature in order to be able to insert this one into my MIDIchain without extra hassles… thx

Configurability without using a computer is a big, big plus with this one… and that chop mode sounds awesomely useful with the ARs velo mod matrix settings :+1:

Yep, padKontrol has the best pads I’ve ever used. I sold mine when I got Maschine and regret it now…

The velocity per pad thing is something I hadn’t thought of. Nice work!

Quick tip for the PadKontrol-
When setting up the x/y for note repeat, the values conveniently equal BPM (quarter notes IIRC)

Any other favorite target destinations for vel? I have a pretty good handle on the OT AND A4, but have yet to spend the time to be one with the AR

Considering I’ve heard nothing but praise for maschine’s pads, that is a bold sentiment.
I’ll have to look into this further. Can you control CC with pad velocity? For example opening and closing the filter the harder you press?

If you’re talking about the AR, you can bind any parameter to respond to velocity :heart:

Unfortunately no, when used in standalone mode, the MIDI input is just used for sending messages to the PK itself, no MIDI thru (and definitely no dedicated port for it).

Hmmm… I just ordered a PadKontrol and got a very plasticky feeling. I made a call for returning it, but it’s still sitting here.

I like the idea of a footswitch input and slightly larger pads. But the tactile experience from it was not to my liking. Should I give it more time, perhaps?

I hear what you’re saying…Maschine or MPC pads are a bit thicker, and overall those units feel more solid. So in terms of the feel alone, I can understand preferring those. But in terms of the actual response, I just find it easy to play with nuanced velocity on the PK. Maybe try changing the velocity curves? Or maybe the feel just isn’t for you.

Having researched the padkontrol some more, it has became a must-have item for me! I feel like slapping myself for overlooking it earlier… and now it seems the product is discontinued by korg?

A lot of japanese sellers listed on ebay though, if the taxes are not murderous for japanese exported goods I will get one NIB… That is, unless somehone has recetnly bought one in the EU and is unhappy with their purchase (wink wink)?

Thanks.

I honestly didn’t even hook it up because of how it felt. Maybe actually playing it would change my mind. Maybe I should take it out of its box again.

Yeah they appear plastic but they are pretty solid.

Velocity chopping on the PK :slight_smile: NICE WORK JAMROD!!!

Oh man, GASsing for a padkontrol, did some more research, and actually seems like the M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro is an even better solution, at least feature-wise…

It has 4 pad banks (ie 64 programmable pads), 4 control banks (ie. 16 knobs and 16 sliders), program change support, aftertouch which can be mapped to midicc on a per pad-basis, step sequencer, and 32 configuration maps instead of 16 like on the padkontrol. And it seems they just slashed the price of it to 199 usd. FML for not living in the US, they don’t seem to ship to Finland :frowning:

When did manufacturers suddenly get pad controllers right? Assignable controls with everything supporting separate midi channels?! And not limited to USB MIDI? Standalone midi step sequencers built in?! Crazy…

Concerning the padkontrol, a lazy, non-RTFM question: can you save banks with the software to send to the unit later?

So let’s say I setup for one song 16 banks which control everything and then want to change the 16 banks for a different song…can I send the new banks to load into the padkontrol?

I have heard that the AR pads need break in to get silky soft. I had an old MachineDrum that I got ussed and its encoders seemed very smooth and nice, while my new AR encoders are tight and stiff. I am assuming the pads will be the same. Elektron makes all their interface buttons/encoders/etc. to last for several million uses each, I bet the pads will be singing after a year. Think of it like nice leather boots

I don’t think this is the case – it certainly hasn’t been my experience, and I’ve used the AR pads a lot. The issue isn’t that you have to hit too hard because they’re still breaking in. There’s just no consistency – some of them give me full velocity pretty easily, but then a slightly lighter hit won’t trigger at all. It’s difficult to get low velocity hits at all, very hit and miss.

Believe me, I want to like them, and I’m not usually picky about this kind of thing. But I’d be very surprised if someone could play a steady crescendo on a single pad. It’s a bummer. That said, they work great as pressure pads!

Yes I believe you can. The editor software lets you save/load “scene sets”. Not much of a help in a live performance, but still nice

I don’t think this is the case – it certainly hasn’t been my experience, and I’ve used the AR pads a lot. [/quote]
Same here. I like a lot of dynamics in the velocity of my hits and these pads just are NOT cutting it. And I put in almost all my beats with the pads so I’ve been ysing the a lot since july. Ive seen no indication of softening. Not by my standards, anyway. But that’s not to say they won’t; I’ll just believe it when I see it.
IN THE MEANTIME I’ve got a line on a used padkontrol. Sweet on the editor. As far as a performance setting goes, if you were to just lay off the pads until the bank loads, what would be the problem? Waiting to pull the trigger until after namm.

The way it’s set up, there are 16 scenes (of 16 pads each) on the Padkontrol. To load a new set of scenes, you’d need to have a computer there to send the new scene set.
Not sure why you’d need so many scenes for a single track in the first place, though.

My idea is to load up the entirety of Shuggie Otis’ Inspiration Information to each pad to sample every 10 seconds of the album so OF COURSE I’m going to need more than 16x16.

:wink:

It would be to control other things: DAW, synths, ect. You’re right, I probably won’t. Just curious.