Roland TR-8 like Scatter mode or comparable for the Elektron Analog RYTM? Is the AR inspiring at all?

I’d keep the TR-8 if you love the Scatter on it, you can for sure do interesting stuff with the scenes on Rytm but not in the same way as scatter, you could repitch, reverse, extend, shorten, filter, fx etc etc which of course can sound great, but it takes considerable effort to program then test/tweak, which is fine, but nowhere near the immediacy of scatter, albeit very flexible though.

A lot of people diss scatter, but I really like it, sure it can sound cheesy when overdone but by no means does it have to. I have a Scooper and the MX-1 and am very happy with them, keep debating to get a TR-8 but it is rather large and a bit fugly, but I think it sounds very nice, you might miss the sounds as the Rytm does not really cover the 808 sounds quite as effortlessly as the TR-8.

2 Likes

I had the Tr-8 with the 7X7 expansion and the update with all the sounds. I liked the built in side chaining for external inputs and the 8 different type of delay and reverbs. The scatter feature seemed gimmicky to me. Like, if you used it more than once in a set, that was too much. While the different kits could be mixed and matched, it is limited on how to make the pattern have any variation.

A lot of what everyone has already commented to you probably can’t be truely understood until you’ve owned an Elektron machine. You have many more options at your disposal than anything you can imagine in comparison to the tr-8. If you want those classic sounds you can always download them or sample them off the tr8. Just my opinion.

1 Like

I think the crux here is the difference, if any, between the incarnations of the scatter effect across the Roland/Boss range.
Probs comes down to resolution but it would be a great test!

The thing is:
I don’t really want to use it live, rather for sound design matters.
Bah. That’s a difficult decision. I just want to avoid stacking gear here at home so I really want to get rid of the tr-8 if not for the SCATTER. jesus…

1 Like

Just sell that toy
And enjoy real good Instruments with fantastic sound
One of the coolest things about Rytm
It can sound So good…
If there is something wrong with the sound
You know it is befause of you and not because of the crappy instrument.

Learn to live without scatter

If you know what scatter you like
Just craft it by hand with plocks
And change pattern to have the result you want to
Works very Well, especially since Rytm has direct change

It might be slower… its not a direct fx
But it is very deep and much more predictible…

3 Likes

Aaron Funk certainly seems to get the AR real glitchy. I just bought an Octatrack, and I am just barely getting my head around it but, I’ve been totally GASsing over the AR after seeing this video. I have a TR8 as well but I’ve been doing all my glitching with Ableton’s Sampler until the OT. I also found Scatter to be kind of gimmicky

3 Likes

Can you afford to keep the TR-8, get the Rytm, and then decide if you want to sell it after seeing what you can do with the Rytm or Rytm+iPad/computer? The Rytm is a mind blowing awesome drum machine, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed having one…

3 Likes

Hm. Yeah that would most probably be the most reasonable way of doing it.
I just want to avoid gear stacking and make a decision asap, you know.

1 Like

Get a Rytm. You won’t be disappointed. You can literally make entire tracks on it and if you’re using it only as studio gear why not recreate the scatter effects in a DAW?

But how? Beat repeater on Live? Maybe I have to just take a step back. Keeping a piece of gear just for a single feature ist not what I consider as optimal.

Thanks guys anyway for your support!

To me it just sounds like a granular live sample effect you can modulate. Maybe it has some filter and reverse effects built in. You could build an effects rack in Ableton that does the same thing pretty easily.

1 Like

You’ll take one step back and then a bunch more forward… :wink:

1 Like

This classic plugin will sound much better than any hardware

https://illformed.com/glitch/

2 Likes

Ahhhh dblue… had no idea this had been resurrected. Love that there is a mac version now😍

1 Like

Yeah not free anymore, but much more powerful now though.
It’s awesome. Throw it on the end of any boring old synth and fuck it up real good. Crazy stuff

2 Likes

At first I thought I was looking at a ripoff of the sugarbytes glitch plug, interface is nearly identical :eyes:

Yeah the sugar bytes effectrix?
Yeah virtually the same. Really good also.
Actually have both, and prefer one over the other but can’t remember which one haha

Whoa! I forgot about this!

Both look really interesting - and it’s especially useful to me that Glitch 2 has a Linux VST available. Nice one!

1 Like

For me there’s only smartelectronix livecut… A shame it doesn’t seem to work on modern mac OSes. IMHO FSU plugins sound abit anachronistic these days tho, far better results to be had by manual mangling. The OT would be great for stuttery stuff.