Permanent save of p-locks?

Hello, i try to understand how to permanently save trig locks as my base pattern. I see that if i make automations for example with resonance, save the pattern/track/kit with all resonance p-locks on that track, and start jamming from there, example i start clearing that resonance, BUT MOVE TO ANOTHER PATTERN AND BACK, my “resonance pattern” was saved even if i did not saved it, in the last stage of my jam (when i cleared all p-locks while jamming) not how i already explained that i saved it with intention WITH ALL RESONANCE P-LOCKS. I don’t even know how to ask about it, if this is a bug or not :))

Anyways, is there a way to permanently save the kit and pattern with p-locks, without loosing all of the p-locks in a jam after moving to another pattern and coming back to the one we are talking about? Why this machine saves patterns even if i don’t want it and why is the option of saving tracks and patterns if it’s not happening, and autosave is more important?

The only way it works is without moving anywhere else to another pattern. You can jam, you can erase all saved p-locks, and reload, it’s all fine, unless you move to the next part of your song, which is in my case another pattern, and bum, every p-lock is lost, no matter the save whatever option …

It’s not really saved to the +drive. You “just” lose the reload functionality (its kind of saved to memory, overwriting the reload state). When you don’t save the project manually, reload project brings it back.

1 Like

On the AR (which I believe behaves the same) the pattern save/reload only works when your in the pattern, it auto saves when you leave the pattern and that’s how it’s saved. You have to reload the pattern before you leave it or copy and paste to another pattern before you change things and change it there, you can do that while the sequencer is running before you leave the first pattern…

If you save the project you can then mess with the patterns and reload the whole thing, but not so good for live…

first :smiley:

1 Like

yeah, there are 2 ways to do it: 1. never change patterns 2. reload project (if you saved it)

another methods could be: 1. copy the pattern before you tweak it 2. reload the pattern before you leave it

that’s it? :slight_smile:

You know exactly what is the purpose of the save track option? :smiley: in this counterintuitive mess i’m not sure

The only thing you really need to save is the kit if you made changes and like them… Pattern/track gets auto saved when you leave the pattern so only useful for a restore point while within one pattern… The only time to save pattern or track is if you switch to a pattern, make changes and like them, and want to make more changes but not lose the first ones in case you don’t like the next ones…

Kits are not auto saved so you must save them, saving project doesn’t save the kits…
There are some advantages with this system even though it seems backwards at first…

In 2 years of using this machine, i still have that first feeling, that is a good playback device only. Menu style, and one module at a time synthesis it’s just not fun, and this save for nothing unsafe interaction again is boring. I always need another real synth along with this very intelligent but boring and “square” A4 …

Some love em, some hate em… :smiley:

or both, like me :)) … i love it, but i have not to touch it when i feel in love :slight_smile: cause it comes the boring part, you loose everything if you switch to another pattern. well done!

3 Likes

thx a lot for the help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I might be the only one that loves the saving structure (AR)… :rofl:
Patterns/tracks I do wish were permanent save but it’s still a handy feature…

yeah, anyways, they are very strong machines. we can’t just have everything in one tool

I’ve never saved tracks, but I save patterns and kits religiously. P-locks will be tied to the pattern, as they are sequencer data. I used to occasionally get caught by relying on pattern autosaves, which occasionally are dumped for reasons I never found out. I don’t think I’ve lost a pattern since I started saving patterns as well as kits. I do follow the kit-per-pattern convention.

1 Like

You can think of it as kind of clipboard feature. But it’s implementation is quite bad on the AR/A4 where it “autosaves” to the clipboard when you change the pattern. On the DT/DN it works great. There it don’t autosave, so you can “reload” to the last +drive state whenever you want (or the last “saved” track state).

1 Like

Digitak sequencer vs A4 sequencer. One machine can’t temporary save p-locks while jamming with more than one pattern, another one can’t erase gradually p-locks (FUNC+NO while LIVE REC), but both can do what the other can’t - these should be standard and consistent workflow rules on every elektron box.

i have to take a deep breath while jamming with both and think of them in therms of p-locks and reload functions as they were two different brands and different sequencers. I just completed the clear locks thing on the A4, and hey, the Digitakt can’t do it to continue the idea! I just lost my p-locks on the A4, cause the Digitakt keep them in memory and forgot that they aren’t the same Elektron sequencers, and programed the Digitakt to switch patterns on the A4 too so i lost what the other can’t do … This is what’s going on sometimes. instead of copy/paste the same basic functions to all instruments while making them. Without the song mode. That’s another thing, and can’t see it as a basic common function. But man … FUNC+NO while live rec, or reload and keep in a temporary memory what i just saved without surprises is such a basic thing.

Yes, Elektron is really bad at consistent usability across their machines.

I can understand when they leave out some functionality for whatever reason. But when one and the same feature behaves differently on different machines, than this is just lazy development (especially now-a-days where OS updates are quite common).

I think they just keep uprading them and the older machines weren’t built with specs to handle some of the improvements…

The older machines probably were built with enough ram to hold a temp copy of every pattern for reload, and the locks not being erased in real time with the sequencer on DT I think is a bug because it says you can in the manual…

2 Likes

Just got an A4 mkii, and i am very dissapointed that trig conditions doesnt get copied when i copy and paste a sequencer page, can this really be true? Or am i missing something?

I tried with MKI 1.23C, I didn’t succeed to copy TRC with Copy Page. Plocks were copied.