OT clock is too unstable to use with Bitwig(Edit: OT was not the problem, but turned out to be the solution)

its normal for midi-clock-slaves to fluctuate a bit… doesnt matter… hardware or software…
like the others says: aslong as you dont hear problems… or see problems within your recordings. there is no problem… just “things being as they should”

1 Like

Yeah ignore those display fluctuations unless they’re huge. I spent hours trying to figure out why my MD did the same thing but it’s normal with Elektron gear. I think most other gear just doesn’t update the display until two or more beats have passed with the new tempo, whereas Elektron seems to update it immediately. Read up on how midi clock works and it makes sense.

If the Rytm delay remains synced but Bitwig doesn’t it sounds like the issue is bitwig or your interface. What happens if you try to use the Rytm as the master?

I always thought the elektrons where pretty accurate, and showing little fluctuations others hide. I was Never annoyed anyway.

1 Like

I’ve been using the ERM Multiclock as can stream an audio signal out of the interface to get jitter free clock. There’s also the Expert Sleepers USAMO that does the same thing.

1 Like

I know this sounds like the worst work around ever, but it usually works and can lead to interesting results at times. You could just set Bitwig and the OT at the exact same bpm and just beatmatch like a DJ. I do it all the time when I’m jamming with friends.

The Elektron boxes I tested don’t generate very stable MIDI Clock Messages. These results are a bit outdated, but I don’t think much has changed since then.

It might sound counter-intuitive, but most DAWs are going to generate much more stable MIDI Clock than most hardware boxes, especially if you’re on macOS.

As I’ve explained here and here, MIDI Clock jitter doesn’t matter too much with most modern hardware and most modern software, but in this specific case you’re clearly noticing an issue with your synced delays in your DAW.

Using your DAW as the master is the simplest solution since that way you can be sure your tempo-synced delays running there are always rock-solid.

The other option is to use a hardware box as the MIDI Clock source that is more stable.

What about Transport Send and Clock Receive for OT ?
Do you record things with OT?
Pickups with Overdub ?

I hooked the analog rytm’s MIDI-out directly into into the audio interface again because yesterday when I error-searched I hadn’t tested if clock from the rytm was stable enough while the sequencer was running. And yes. Though the Rytm gives stable enough clock while it is stopped. As soon as I press play the bitwig-delays are bananas till I stop it the sequencer. So that means the problem is with the interface or bitwig.

Now I’m trying to sync Bitwig to the USB out from Rytm. To see if it’s the interface. No success so far. I get to choose Rytm as a clock source, but it doesn’t sync up…

Anybody know what this could be?

I record loops and samples with OT. And will do so even more in the future. I am saving up for a modular that I will be sampling a lot. I also want to have the OT as master clock for the modular.

It’s mostly a matter of being able to turn things on and everything is ready to go without the computer being turned on.
Also I like to have the physical play button.

I don’t use a lot of pickup tracks no.

What would you say are the advantages of using the DAW as master?

1 Like

Get things working.:slight_smile:
What about Clock Send and Receive?

1 Like

hahaha.

What do you mean send and receive?

Just another possibility to experiment.
OT can receive external clock, and send it’s clock. Same for transport. That way you can use gear without turning computer on .

1 Like

That’s a pretty great solution. Now I have it set up so that everything is synced to the OT. But whenever I want to use tempo synced delays from the computer I can just turn on clock send from Bitwig and the OT immediately and automatically becomes a slave, sending out Bitwigs tempo to the rest of the gang!

You’re the best :blush:

Still confused about why Bitwig won’t sync to my Rytm over USB. But this works just fine!

Thanks!:heart_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes::sparkler::sparkling_heart::bomb::100::100::100::100::100::white_check_mark:

Edit::sparkling_heart::heartpulse:

1 Like

It was just a guess ! :smiley:
I don’t even use a DAW except for audio editing. :smile:

Bitwig claim it works to use OT as master.
I was thinking of downloading the demo to see…

Thavius B shows in this vid

1 Like

I also have the same curiosity as you.
I can not understand your conversation because I am not an English speaking country.
I am really excited, but can I ask for a one-time explanation on the step by step?

Thats fine :slight_smile: Which part do you want me to tell you about?

1 Like

I refer to the video posted by GiacomoB

my OT and BW seem to be out of sync.

In OT you press the play button

OT will play but BW will not react.

I do not know what’s wrong …

Do I need to connect my MIDI cable?

Or is it just enough with a USB cable?

Yes, you need to connect the MIDI cable. The USB on OT unfortunately can not send MIDI. Only transfer files.

Let me know if it works.

1 Like

I’m not good …
What settings should I make in Bitwig?