Octatrack Mk II listed at juno?

If true, can’t see it making my current OG OT redundant. The machine is easily good enough to own 2 of.

2 Likes

Yeah this looks like a big job for Elektron

4 Likes

When I bugged Elektron about the OT MKII at NAMM last year I was told that it was likely that at some point that all their machines could see a MKII. But IIRC it’s part of their approach to not roll out new versions unless absolutely necessary to keep the product going, which is what happened with the MD and MNM and a shortage of some parts.

So in this case, I could see it being basically the same machine, likely with the addition of Overbridge, and hopefully with trig conditions. And that’s fine by me and would convince me to buy another one, since I loved the OT but ultimately got annoyed with workarounds for recording from the machine and really wanted the trig options. There might be a more improved one to come in the form of a DPS-2, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the MKII (if this is legit, which I assume it is and just put up prematurely) is basically the Overbridge edition, the OTOB.

2 Likes

I’m trying to start a Hector-themed short film festival so I really hope there are some trailers for this.

4 Likes

Not really. The Machinedrum was named Machinedrum SPS-1 MKII

2 Likes

I think it’s an OT2

If this is real(which I don’t think it is) I’d definitely have to give Elektron top props(the highest possible level of prop achievement) for veering into bizarre marketing strategies

5 Likes

Man I just got the OT and really like it… but would love more outputs and OBridge!

1 Like

I think I can positively contribute to what will turn out to be the biggest thread in Ekektronauts history with further idle speculation.

It will have the arrow buttons under the screen where they should have damn well been in the first place :tunga:

1 Like

Yes, OT mk1 is very different to the DT. But if they want the mk2 to have OB it would be very odd to build two different platforms for sampling.

1 Like

If legit, and I’m still trying to remain grounded on this one, then yeah, I’d imagine it will be an incremental upgrade. @PeterHanes mentioned a few things from a “MKII” update/revision and I think it rings true. So I’m not letting myself hit Fantasy Wishlist Level 10 yet and would expect it to perhaps have a conditional trigs as a minimum, better FX (and the RAM to load the full list into both slots), perhaps a Digitakt display (higher resolution managed with the bump in memory needed for trigs/FX revisions) and possibly OB. Nothing majorly fancy but it never really needed it.

Overbridge is the big thing for me. I have argued against it on here in the past but I’m just firmly not in the OTB camp. I like the ease computers bring personally and OB would smooth a lot of the shit that winds people up with the OT. Still feels a big ask but if legit, it would be bonkers to leave OB out of any revision IMO.

2 Likes

I think OB would be Elektron’s biggest hurdle for a new OT, so if this is a mk II (and therefore not a major upgrade) don’t think we will see OB, but as mentioned by a few already maybe just aesthetic hardware changes i.e. new screen, buttons, knobs, hard drive etc???
For me personally i would only consider a new OT if it had full OB support

2 Likes

I’ve got a coffee waiting for me over at Elektron. Drop by anytime, they said.

Who’s rigging me up with the spy gear needed to get this thread going for real?

7 Likes

No, we won’t. It’s still Elektron. They are the dark wizards in the black marble tower of cryptic marketing, performing strange rituals unknown even to the ancient ones

1 Like

Go go go soldier !!!

I had plans to sell my old OT because DT sounds so better…
Time to push the button, it seems.

1 Like

I think it would make sense at some point after DT to extend it to a more powerful machine to pairs analog series with Overbridge included. I hope they will make it at some point. I would buy a powerful sampler and a reverb in the form factor of the analog heat at anytime.

The story has now broken out on Gearslutz so if someone at Juno is trolling they’ll be getting a skelped arse off their boss in about 5 minutes… (Assuming they open at 9.am)

5 Likes

If the OTMk2 “only” gets new storage format and Overbridge, makes sense they wouldn’t go the viral/teasing campaign way.

2 Likes

Elektron has said that the FPGA on the OT is maxed out and that is the reason for not adding any more features, right?

So, if an mkII is coming, I guess it is reasonable to think that it could have a bigger FPGA. The old code would still run as before, but now with room to add more to the firmware. If so, conditional trigs would be my #1 guess for new os feature. Perhaps an improved or new reverb.

…but like I wrote earlier, I still think it more likely that the OS would remain the same and the changes would be to “peripheral” hardware like screen, ram, card slot, etc. But seeing how important OB seems to be to Elektron, I’d think that would be their main motive for doing an mkII. Perhaps not a full-fledged OB-upgrade with VST-control of everything (as that would probably mean big changes to the OS), but just an usb audiostream?

I don’t understand the “That wouldn’t sell” argument, btw. If the OT is currently selling, why would a minor upgrade suddenly STOP it from selling? I don’t think they’d do an mkII and expect everyone to upgrade, but rather to increase the lifespan of the OT. If anything, an mkII would send a strong signal that we won’t be seeing an OT2 anytime soon and therefore perhaps boost sales of the current model slightly.

4 Likes

no elektron employees in here… interesting :nyan: