Octatrack - building live set out of album stems?

Hello, I’ve ordered the octatrack now in order to preform with my album.
I’d like to prepare the stems till it arrives.
Has anyone has any tips?
The songs are about 5 min each, there are many channels I’ve made in Ableton but I don’t want to preform with a computer, so ordered the octatrack to replace it.
Through everytime I see tutorial they’re using short stems and repeat them and mess with them.
Please advice for a relevant tutorial or explain how can I work with that.
Thanks!
Gel

1 Like

Welcome. Easier after a while with OT! :wink:

8 stereo tracks, 7 if you use track 8 as master (2) fx. You can play longer loops with trig conditions. Ex A:B condition 1:8, your loop can last 4 bars (pattern length) x 8 = 32 bars.
If you use 1st condition, the sample will be triggered once, and played until the end, looping or not, or until another pattern, trigging another sample…

You can slice samples and play only certain parts.

If you want to mangle sample speed / length a lot, it is more efficient with shorter or sliced samples.

You can plock (lock parameter) samples or their slices : different samples /slice for any step.

Yeah that’s pretty much it, and define the bpm for all the stems in sample edit. Then go bonkers w scenes, repitch, retempo, echo freeze, resample it into a new song :wink:

1 Like

Cuckoo has a tutorial for using OT with backing tracks. I’ve done it live with my main project. I use one shot trigs to play the stems.

1 Like

How do you arm them? Arming can be annoying.
What about 1st TRC instead?
Personally I’d keep One Shot trigs for recordings and as FILL.

3 Likes

Spears? :thinking: RTFM? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

6 Likes

There’s a manual ? Is that what you read to children ?

So the 6 ways to arm are :

3 Likes

That works too. I just hit yes to arm one-shots. It’s a 3-piece, and the sequencer is stopped for a bit between songs. This would not be the best for someone who needs transitions with the OT running. We’re busy playing through any segues.

1 Like

:rofl:

2 Likes

I feel guilty now. I should disarm more.
“Son! Drop that bazooka and come here!” :smile:
I know, that’s disarming…

3 Likes

How do you make your playlists for live and go through it during the set?
Example: if there is like stems of 8 songs and those songs needs to be played in certain order and all of them are in different tempo.

Arranger. You can write reminders rows, set tempos, etc…possible to loop certain parts and change song when you want with up/down arrows + YES.

Eventually something flat made from wood, something like “paper” if I remember well, and a pen. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Maybe this thread is also helpful.

2 Likes