Octatrack & Behringer Model D: Midi Sequencing

Hey, yeah these are all set to channel 1. I am now just looking through the Behringer manual to see if there is a USB/Midi-in toggle or something just to see… Have a feeling there isn’t. Does anyone know if there is at all? Any boog users?

Cheers,

There is none, although there is a remote possibility to have disabled the switch bank.

I don’t have the bandwidth to see your videos, so may I ask whether you have been able to sequence the Model D from the OT (leaving until later the question of using the Thru machine on the OT)?

When you say “all” the switches are set to channel 1, what do you mean?

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying Peter.

It send 1 bar of sequenced notes the other night and then cut out and played a long sustained singled note - sounded broken. I’ve ordered another midi cable now - sequencing the Nord Lead A1 didn’t work either and I recall you tried to help me with this too.

All 4 switches on Model D are aliged and which sets the midi channel to 1

2 Likes

Hoping it’s just a midi cable problem.

Midi channels switches

1 Like

Maybe start by de-checking all receive boxes in the midi setup?

Worth a shot making sure you’re selecting midi channels on the OT correctly. On the OT, when you select a midi channel on a midi track, make sure you push the relevant encoder to select the channel. The grey highlight over the channel number will then go off and the OT will remember that setting.

Easy to miss this.

1 Like

are you on about the midi send/receive clock menu etc?

dcb71fc9c02e162fc876d03456cb4228f3ec7207_1_690x444

Yes

all done on this front. Thanks though

de-checking and then re-checking them, right?

Well, I’m not sure why you’d want the OT to receive sync messages as well as sending? I remember having forgot to de-check the receive boxes and got similar result as you describe. However, that was also including a midi in to the OT which of course complicated things :).

No improvement if you just deselect the receive boxes? Also, was thinking that you could try to set the OT midi to not make use or channel 1? In the settings you seem to have 1-8 for the OT internally, right? Maybe try just setting the first one to “off” and then let the BMD have that channel by its own?

Ignoring the thru channel part - do you get audio from the BMD headphone jack?

Because my plan is to get the OT midi synced to the clock of Ableton. I then want to midi-sequence my BMD via the OT - keeping everything in time. I want to midi-sequence via the OT to use the parameter locks.

When I am back at the house - I will uncheck these boxes and give it a go.

When you say …

Do you mean change the no. 1 on this page to OFF?

6df71099c936427476a61f3840ebee69a0a111f3_1_689x443

no audio from BMD

Just to clarify : when an audio track and a midi track share the same midi channel, the audio track won’t send midi, and the midi track won’t receive midi.
It won’t change your problem, but you can turn audio channels off if you want.

Why do you want to send clock / transport ?
Model D doesn’t seem to have midi clock lfo sync or any sequencer…

1 Like

When configuring a midi setup it can help a lot to deactivate all channels/sync options/knob send+receive, and any other midi settings on all devices…

Then start activating only whats needed so that you know there’s no midi funny business going on and can tell exactly what’s happening with the midi…

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, so what does this mean for the visual/image I supplied above. Does that mean in the TRIG CH section on the MIDI CHANNELS PAGE, that 1:Ch1 , 2:Ch2 etc etc , that the audio and midi channels are running on channel 1? and if so, they would clash as per your above comment and won’t receive midi, no?

Also not sure why I wanted to send clock… I am a bit of a rookie to midi …thought it may assist with the process.

Cheers dude, will deactivate all checked boxes in the MIDI SYNC menu and give it another whirl.

Thanks for all the help everyone - much appreciated. Loving this forum, would have lost faith had it been any other piece of gear.

1 Like

With a new project and audio tracks channels set to off, midi settings are minimal as mentioned @Open_Mike.

Shared midi channels between audio and midi tracks are confusing :
Midi tracks won’t receive midi except on Auto Channel. You can’t record midi or use extenal keyboard with shared channel.
Audio tracks won’t send midi, so if you want to send Control Changes moving knobs or crossfader it won’t work.

Turning off channels is simpler for now I think.
You can also set different channels later.

There is an interesting Glossary in Model D manual. :wink:

1 Like