Mixing without a DAW

Hi folks, this isn’t OT specific I suppose but is probably something relevant to a lot of people here…

I intentionally don’t use a DAW in my workflow (though I do own a laptop and could afford Ableton if I reeeaaaallly wanted it).

Any tips for mixing / eq? I’m working on dub techno tracks lately with a lot of sub bass tones and I have to test on a lot of systems (headphones, stereo, laptop speakers, car stereo etc) with a lot of trial and error to get a sound that works but this is very time-consuming and involves a lot of trial and error.

Here’s a very rough mix of a track I’m working on - it still isn’t quite right (bass a little low in this one).

Any workflow tips? How do you guys get the eq levels right?

1 Like

Use a DAW :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

It will be good to have an intern eq for each track on DT too !

Well at least we got the “I’m gonna be THAT guy” comment out of the way early :wink:

Srsly though I’ll consider using software, no harm in that when it’s time for mixdown. But do I really have to run a full DAW? Any good standalone software?

5 Likes

listening on laptop speakers but anyway a quick thought is - snare could possibly come down in volume as it might be slightly to loud when played on a big club sound system.

gorgeous female vocals.

the piano sample is actually a really valuable element and perhaps could be used to judge the volume of the hats, incidental sounds, and snare.

the DJ EQ effect on the OT is a useful tool, either on individual tracks or on the Master Effects track 8 (i don’t use the track 8 Master Track option when producing, although when mixing live or doing a song mix, i would).

tidy sounding production, enjoyable, cheers for the share!.

it would be nice to somehow find out the frequencies targeted by different settings on the regular two-band EQ effect on the OT, might help when trying to choose what to boost slightly for the bass.

2 Likes

It’s just so much easier.
Why fight it?

6 Likes

What do you mean when you say “standalone” in this context?

There are other and cheaper options beside Live that might even be better if you don’t use all the note editing and built-in instruments Live offers.

For example, Reaper is only $60 if you make less than $20k yearly from your music.

2 Likes

could just use Audacity (free) to capture the file then normalise to about half a decibel below zero. Perhaps apply some kind of fade at the end, maybe crop the intro starting silence.

i think the OT is capable of production-like quality.

maybe even try loading the parts to Static machines, to save memory, then capture a mix direct to disk on the Octatrack. Then apply some extra mastering effect tweaks on that file and play it back without any timestretching algorithm applied to it, capture to the sound recording device. Or recapture direct to the OT compact flash card then transfer the file via usb to computer.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments.

Just to be clear, I’m doing everything by ear now basically and I don’t even have proper monitors - I’m running the whole kit through the OT master track w/compression applied, then outputting to a $40 Logitech computer speaker system that has a bass unit (I know the horror! Will be upgrading that soon though it sounds better than you’d think… just not honest).

I know there is software out there that lets you “see” where things sit in different frequency bands and make adjustments in real time. I just assumed these were mostly VST plug ins.

I will go full DAW if really needed but if gotten pretty far up to this point without one so…

2 Likes

If you’re recording digitally there’s no reason not to use a DAW. If you’re using very expensive analog equipment because it sounds better (and it does) then you should already know how to use it before having access to it.

A DAW is much cheaper than a qupac

btw, what on earth is ”production quality”? Some undefinable qualitative benchmark figure? Same bollocks as ”pro sound”? :joy_cat:

Mixing desks are pretty handy for mixing.

(THAT guy part II :wink: )

1 Like

If you realy want to avoid the entire mixing part all together , traditionally speaking , being a mixingdesk or daw… it’s essential to select the right sounds for the track… the ones that frequency wise fit perfectly… no need for EQ if you get it right from the start .

4 Likes

personally my plan is to go for a Roland MV8000 or MV8800 and record to there, maybe do mastering from there, perhaps with the help of a Tegeler Creme as a send effect, or even after the Octatrack on the way to the Roland.

@rabid3k I’m by no means a mastering engineer, but to me, your track sounds just fine on my monitors. :slight_smile:

Listening to this, I wouldn’t say the bass is too low. Keep in mind that the bass in this kind of dub techno is never going to sound good on small mobile phone or laptop speakers.

The only thing I would change if this were my mix would be to turn down the vocals ever so slightly.

Doing things by ear is the best way to do things. If you’re getting proper monitors, I would recommend keeping the Logitechs around for a while as well as a reference.

Honestly, I wouldn’t change too much about your approach as it sounds like you’re getting good results as-is. The only thing you could consider is to use an outboard compressor for the master bus instead of the built-in effect on the OT. That would give you a bit more control.

4 Likes

I have produced (arranged and mixed) my latest ep and single without a DAW in my elektrons alone. Although I am using AR+AK+A4, I suppose the idea is the same. Choose your sounds so that they fit to your soundscape. EQ and shape them (i use one of the filters in my tracks for this). Analog circuitry can usually do without a compressor in a synth, but if you need one, try to use the sequencer to emulate what a compressor would do. Use your ears, and when in doubt then use a frequency analyzer, then use your ears again. Keep multiple sets of speakers around and check frequently between them even if you get your room treated. Use the LFOs and the sequencer features to widen the mix. Take the track in your car for a ride, it can be an eyeopener.

That’s all I can recall while I am away from the studio :unamused:

1 Like

And surely the OT’s Spatializer effect must be at least somehow a mastering style effect, potentially?

You bought a laptop. Why dont you want to use it?

I understand what you mean BUT…

That way of thinking is like applying for a first job - coming fresh from school - and the HR boss says you are only legit if you can show 5y experience…

Not very pragmatic :wink:

You need digital mixer like BEHRINGER X AIR or similar. There you can use EQ for each track, sidechain and etc.