MIDI Plays Free tracks won't play 'Direct'

nvmd then… I was silently hoping that i was just using it wrong (I would love this to work)

thanks for the update tasmansea! appreciated

BTW did you raise the quant trigging issue too (1/16 trig quant behaving like 2/16 etc.)?

hey @Clancy ,
sorry for the delay - I have just added this to the ticket (after running a sanity check again with a 16th click track on 30bpm)… cheers!

2 Likes

pretty skeptical about further OT bug fixes - arent there a couple of known bugs that are years old at this point?

Thanks! I appreciate you logging it. I was having my OT repaired and didn’t want other tickets running until that was done

1 Like

Yes this one is very fundamental and sounds like it’s been around for a long time. (Samples get assigned to the wrong machine and the wrong slot):

Another one which constantly requires work around (changing the memory setting mutes machines):

Here’s hoping

Im running 1.25E … because I thought it was the newer updates that introduced the bugs… i will try to replicate this one above with the slots and report back later sometime

1 Like

I did run into the same problem - i wanted to quantize the track start when playing the track in free mode.
As far as i did understood the manual - the track is set to plays free, and should be individually started via:
track + play and start after some configurable step settings.

I can see that the track is playing in the display , but actually there is no LED running from left to right to show this.
Also no midi notes are generated.

I had a sequence which was 16 steps, master length 64.

When i put the track back to normal, the sequencer triggers the steps again. I have not tried it with audio tracks, but i will do that soon. I think its very annoying because it would solve a lot of issues i have.

Is there a similar start /stop behaviour possible in the RYTM ?

Function +Project > CONTROL >MIDI SEQUENCER >check the CC DIRECT CONNECT box

Function +Project > CONTROL >SEQUENCER >should show PAT LEN ( i had here 16/48 =?)

Function +Bank> Pat Scale Mode = Per Track . T1 - T8 check Plays Free and Trig mode ONE2, Trig Quant TR.LEN

At least my problem was solved with this settings, Allen gave me some hints on Facebook, and i thought i share it with you.

1 Like

Did we ever find a solution for the PLAYS FREE MIDI tracks not playing all the way through? This needs to be fixed for the OT to be a full on live brain for shows that use external gear sequenced by the unit/

1 Like

i made my peace with the OT for all its (perceived) quirks but with the ‘plays free’ bugs. something I’m using extensively and wish could be fixed. there are numerous threads on here about quantization issues. I opened a ticket with elektron some time ago and they said it was indeed bung.

2 Likes

I’m not even worried about the quantization. My timing has gotten a lot better. I’m worried about not being able to trigger MIDI sequences live separate from the PLAY button.

“Funny”, I tried to control them with midi tracks today. What are the issues ? (Except Quantize)

I found something interesting today : with plays free tracks, in hold mode, you can latch them pressing Rec (grid recording mode), like for time delay in delay control mode.

1 Like

So Midi tracks set to plays free CAN now be trigged with quant setting ‘direct’?! That’s great!

Wait, Elektron fixed this and didn’t announce it?!

For anyone wondering. This is a powerful feature - try it! but previously it was broken leading to much convoluted discussion and trial and error head scratching. As here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-plays-free-tracks-wont-play-direct/4110/15?u=clancy

5 Likes

What OS version do you have? If this is a 1.30d change I’ll be sad.

1.30c

Why sad?

Isn’t D the mystery one they ship with new units, and no one knows what it has over C? Or am I out of date on that?

nothing feature wise at all afaicr - so should behave identically to C

thanks for sharing, but this thread will likely be merged with the original for obvious reasons

1 Like

yeah i get the merge but wanted to share the good news more high profile. It amounts to a fun new feature to play with.

2 Likes

Because I have a MKI, so if it was a fix in D I’d have to wait for it until whenever Elektron puts D out for the MKI.

This is where I first came across it & some details about what used to happen