Low hanging fruit enhancements

There are possibly a bunch of ‘easy wins’ that the elektron dev team could consider, that, to an ignoramus like myself, seem like no-brainer enhancements that would make customers tremendously happy but aren’t coding nightmares … however may be a lot more difficult than we think, but let’s suggest…

Rule for suggestions: they have to reasonably seem like do-able, logical, incremental enhancements: so no ‘OT gets Overbridge’ or ‘A4 midi out sequencing’ - they’re suggested to death and are known as impossibilities - instead please only suggest or +1 endorse ideas that seem so tantalizingly close to possible (and aren’t cannibalising other Elektron machines) that Elektron should really think about them

Here’s a few of my ‘easy’ ideas:

[a] Virtual MIDI loopback [DT, OT] - rather than we need to loop a real midi cable to the midi IO, we can use the midi capabilities as selectable extra LFOs and track controllers.

[b] sysex single cycle waveforms [A4] - as a selectable OSC shape, even if only a few ‘user shape slots’

[c] DT fine sample zoom

[d] More generous SYSEX implementation information on all machines - we love to tinker and get the most out of the machines - help us make it happen!

[e] another filter layer or EQ on DT tracks - one filter just isn’t enough and is holding the beautiful DT back

[f] DT sample chain friendliness - better granularity levels for sample start setting

[g] proper, full fat (stereo) aux mix in on the DT so it can really be a hub with another sequenced synth and itself - seems crippled to mono sample monitoring purpose currently

7 Likes

Slower LFO values for MD and MnM. I really like evolving stuff over 64 bars.

3 Likes

I’d like to see BPMs getting saved per pattern on the RYTM like how they are on the DT. I think this feature definitely belongs on at least the machines that can handle samples. This seems like a super easy one to me.

7 Likes

It really is the greatest thing ever(as a person with ADD, I’m also a fan of fresh kit per pattern as well- every pattern a blank slate)(this isn’t a request so much as an appreciation for this new method of pattern creation)(but it would be really cool)

To add to the request list: trig preview should definitely be on the list.

Also: page adjustment(3/4 only plays 12 steps per page.

To counter the OP- things always seem easy on the consumer side of things- when trying to make these things possible, it’s amazing how quickly things aren’t feasible

2 Likes

More for accessibility purposes, than “tricking it out”… but user defined multicolor LED themes, or at minimum a few different preset LED themes to choose from.

7 Likes

I really like the internal MIDI Loopback idea. It could even ignore the few cases that cause loops and glitches. As cool as the loopback is, I still haven’t tried it yet. I would have by now if I could flip a menu option :smiley:

Not that I don’t have cables. Just a weird OCD brain that doesn’t like the hacky part of it. And I tend to use the DT or DN by itself and out of the studio, so the less cables the better.

I still just need to plug it in and try it sometime though.

MD and MNM are legacy products. No more updates.

1 Like

Contrast/brightness control for the oled screens.

4 Likes

Also, the initialized blank kits on the RYTM should have Legacy FX off by default imo. It’s already become a bit of an annoyance to dig into the “Settings” menu to turn this off everytime I create a new kit.

3 Likes

assigning deep menus to [func] + [trig] (on pretty much any machine).

For example: editing the velocity/aftertouch/breath mods on machines that support it is just painful. absurdly so. unnecessarily so. (seriously - do the devs even use these functions??)

Here’s an example UX pattern for setting up a velocity mod to the filter on the AR, then modifying the base parameter value, then back to adjusting the mod:

[func] + [voice page]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[enter] (modify velocity mod settings here)
[no]
[no] (because we have to fully exit out before we can get back to what we were doing…)
[filter] (adjust voice settings here)
[func] + [voice page]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[down]
[enter] (modify velocity mod settings here)
repeat…

that’s just straight up 100% bad UX. no arguing.

the 16 trigs on most of the machines have no [func] key combo associated to them. if they could just put deep menus on these key combos and make it so that you don’t have to explicitly exit out of each layer in a menu path… it would make these machine so much friendlier.

If, for example, the velocity mod menu was available at [func] + [trig 1] and you didn’t have to explicitly exit an entire menu path, that same pattern would become:

[func] + [trig 1] (adjust your settings here)
[filter] (adjust your settings here)
[func] + [trig 1] (adjust your settings here)
repeat…

that’s an 80% reduction in button presses.

6 Likes

Random on Digitone arp

4 Likes

time to break out this old chestnut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZU40hNWVAE

2 Likes

Digitone retrig

6 Likes

For All Elektrons : The ability to open a menu DIRECTLY by pressing a button, even if another menu is open.

Especially annoying for A4. For now, you have to press NO several times, or do the button combination again.

Very annoying and stupid behaviour.
It’s like I can’t open a door because the door of another room is open in the house. :fury:

I don’t know DT and DN behavior in that concern.

5 Likes

Beef up the AR sequencer: reverse play, pendulum, possibility to disable some of the trigs by pressing them (like Active Steps on Volca Beats). This would really help to get over the fixed loop feeling and make it easy to create crazy breaks in a breeze.

4 Likes

@OT: Slicing on transients as implemented in the OP-1 or even TE PO-33.

2 Likes

Pitch tracking LFOs on all machines are low hanging fruit, even lower hanging than more LFOs on the digitakt, similar level to fruit growing on the nearby MIDI retrig tree.

3 Likes

Just dreaming. OT was also and got his last update because they WANTED it to happen. Iirc.

GREAT! Thank you so much!

Hello great elektron forum
I‘m sorry i read a lot here its great but write almost only about one topic, surprised its not top priority to develop:
STOP the AUTOSAVE pattern thing on (accidental or live jaming) pattern change on A4. It limits my lust to turn on a4 mk1, play around without worries a lot and limits my lust to buy a4 2 andor ar 2 lot.
Its just i like the sequencer and this forum that much that i think about it a LOT.

On dn seems a bit better, lusting for that also ( that fm insider- freak video with cukoo on superbooth, mmmm) and dt ( when ob is stable), but also not complete carefree jamming and only saving if and where i want.

Thanks have a good day everyone