Introducing Digitakt

Exactly :slight_smile:

If so, I’m not sure why Elektron have said it is impossible to implement all ten tracks on the RYTM. I would anticipate the DT being bound by the same limitations.

Higher bandwidth USB was causing noise problems (or something similar) in the analog machines so they went with a low bandwidth option that didn’t create those problems. I’m not sure where, but I’m pretty sure I saw from an Elektron employee that higher bandwidth USB is being used on the Digitakt because it doesn’t interfere with the performance of the unit

3 Likes

That sounds positive for DT/OB users

search this thread for “bandwidth”
Keep an eye out for posts from Elektron employees…

bingo:

3 Likes

That response seems a bit strange - surely they must be implementing all 10 channels? Eight individual plus stereo master? There are only ten channels on offer and it seems unlikely they would implement nine.

More than 10 on offer if you count input streams from both external inputs.

Again, it all remains to be seen. But USB bandwidth is full USB 2.0 spec, and not USB 1.1 like AR/A4/AK/AH.

4 Likes

which is what they did with the Octatrack back at the time. And people went crazy because of that :wink:

really, the octatrack release was another story, and not a nice one honestly.
…absolutely not to mention the Manual ( see my username) which has had to do ALOTS with the confusion people had.
The Manual was plain crap. A big junk of it totally unusable…speaking of things that were not there while other features have been there but not mentioned in the manual.
not to mention the whole in big words advertised “looper functionality thing”.
Really, i´m not afraid to see a DT that has to grow some by some updates…
but then: shurely better for the company to hold back and release the DT when it has reached a certain stage…

In any case, the state of the Manual will have its importancy !!
i´d not screw that one

2 Likes

trackers rule :sunglasses:

Simon was sayin some of the elektron lads coded trackers back in the day :slight_smile:

Dt feels like it was tailor made for me too, I can’t wait to get it

1 Like

I really miss the old tracker style song modes of the older boxes. I have never really been able to connect with the song modes of the analog series

1 Like

Yeah sounds like we simply get 8 Mono Channels dry. So the efects get lost? Probably. Or maybe we can choose 6 Mono Channels plus one Stereo where the effects get routed to. Could live with that. Just dont want to lose the sequencing of effects parameters.

Looks like, given the responses above and word from Elektron that the DT will use higher USB bandwidth and therefore you’ll be able to get 8+ tracks - the good news.

The bad news - I don’t believe the DT has a dedicated FX track, so sequencing the FX parameters won’t be possible, above and beyond P-locking the send levels for each track.

yep you’re right it has no dedicated fx channel and no fx parameter sequencing

But enough midi tracks to have a simple workaround… i expect it to be easy to route midi from a midi channel to a sample channel / fx channel

2 Likes

Easy to route MIDI to a FX channel that doesn’t exist?

you have 8 sample tracks, and 8 midi tracks
midi tracks contain a sequencer (with p locks and probability trig)
probably also there are some knobs that can be assigned to external midi gear

but if you use a midi cable, and use midi out and midi in on the same Digitakt, you can send out midi information from the midi out and receive your own midi information in the midi in. This can be very interesting for fx tracks, but also for variation in the sample tracks, to create fills, or just variation. It can even be used to have multiple LFO’s on one sample track

Nothing confirmed yet, maybe it is even possible to route midi information internally without a cable. But with a cable, it almost cannot be not like this.

3 Likes

same here, i love the mnm’s song mode, and when i had it, the OT’s arranger was very similar.

the one thing i really miss from the mnm’s song mode that the AR doesn’t have are offsets.

1 Like

I agree, but doesn’t this assume that the midi channels aren’t fixed to the numbered tracks?
I don’t personally expect them to be… it would be odd to prevent the midi tracks being assignable to a user-desired MIDI channel. But does anyone remember anything about this?

Of course there are workarounds (especially using a DAW). I’m VERY impatient to see the manual / see more of the midi tracks.

John

Those offsets are the best. Seriously complex results from very little effort at times

2 Likes