Elektronauts Forum Censorship

I am NOT happy with the level of Admin on the Digitakt forum post the official Overbridge delay statement about it still not being ready. I, and many, many other Digitakt owners, feel aggrieved that we bought a product which had false advertising on both the box and the website, who have had to live with serious midi bugs for many months and who have had promises of fixes/release updates broken. The Forum Thread on this topic have been locked, posts hidden and users suspended over this topic.

Can a forum admin please advise on why this is the case, what justification they have for this action? To me, it appears they are merely towing the company line of burying/ignoring this bad news which includes, poor communications and lack of clarity /openness with genuinely annoyed consumers.

I think this behaviour has really put a lot of users off Elektron as a company. The overbridge debacle has ruined their reputation considerably and affected other product sales also.

Personally, I would expect a company statement to address the delay concerns and a decent apology and some sort of offering to address valid user concerns. Free overbridge is only free if/when it actually materialises (if ever). I now have my doubts the entire application may be canned and never be released.

I really expected a lot more from Elektron. There, up to now, good reputation is on the line

Yours “Frustrated Digitakt Owner/New MPC1000 Owner”

2 Likes

I think you’re misunderstanding the modding. You’re free to express outrage at the company, but not the community.

I got modded myself(which was disappointing, because I like to show my teeth when I deem the occasion to be suitable), but I get the reasoning.

2 Likes

As I understand it, criticism is fine, personal insults are not (which I agree with).

Can’t see deleted posts so can’t verify that is happening but I have no reason to doubt the mods.

3 Likes

i flagged my own post while trying to edit it on my phone yesterday.

:sunglasses:

26 Likes

those that come to Elektron’s defense, never get banned - no matter how “kneejerk” their replies might be, or in some cases outright demeaning to those that express displeasure.

roll with it, this is Elektron’s home court.

7 Likes

I don’t think you are allowed to vent your frustrations at the company, as my posts on this were hidden by the admins. “over promised and under delivered” was on such post on the OB topic. I don’t think that is too harsh, it’s just a very sad reality.

Ultimately, I don’t give a flying f*** about Elektron, Overbridge or the DT. Its a little drum computer stuck with a limited functionality thanks to a company who got bogged down with something that looked good on a whiteboard but was difficult to implement.

It’s very easy to offer something that is non-existent for Free!

2 Likes

That’s not true- one of the promenient defenders was definitely dealt with yesterday on the thread

1 Like

Exception not the rule, but ok, my point is - if you wanna flame Elektron here, be prepared to play defense.

I was flaming Elektron pretty good yesterday- it wasn’t until I threw some shade on [name omitted] that I actually got a talking to

1 Like

I couldn’t help but feel for the mods when avantronica’s thread pause post asking Elektron for some advanced knowledge when a communication of that nature was about to drop.

So true

7 Likes

The term censorship hardly applies here. Talk to people from Iran, North-Korea or Turkey to get an impression of what censorship actually means.

There are a three hundered posts about the latest Overbridge delay and only a few of them contain any actual information that could be useful to anyone. A little bit of moderation (that is transparent since posts are flagged and still visible) is necessary in my opinion to maintain a certain level of reason here.

8 Likes

I think the mods do a fine job, I’m just saying to the OP, this is not a friendly place for dissenters of the Elektron ethos, or what many longtime Elektron users seem to think that ethos is.

imagine this without the work of our Moderators… from helping people on the tech side to mediate all the fury on the battlezone…, yes heads are rolling with some reason. we are a community and we must learn to be respectful

2 Likes

I suppose I can see that? Though I can also see the logic behind it- on a general basis.

I suppose with this forum- it can be presumed that people generally have a favorable impression of elektron- while naysayers could be seen as presenting a negative charge into a generally pleasant atmosphere. I can absolute see how that can be perceived both ways.

Yesterday was a special exception to a general rule where the negativity was blatantly warranted. I see both sides of this issue.

When a post is flagged by three members of the community for violating guidelines, it is automatically hidden.

This was the case for your posts.

9 Likes

Basically: don’t be a jerk, listen to others, and try to have some restraint when your impulse is to respond to something dismissively or negatively instead of constructively.

I think constructive criticism and rational dissent is totally fine (this is not a political movement), but if you’re just complaining, flailing, or throwing insults, I think it’s reasonable to assume you’ll be moderated. I know I’ve had to exercise restraint when responding to people who are being pretty unreasonable or irrational, which is hard but ultimately leads to better conversations. If you’re angry, take a moment before you hit the ‘reply’ button.

10 Likes

Don’t worry about it! You will always have this issue if you post in a company’s official forum. It’s their site and they will do what’s best for the company’s image at the end of the day. If you want less censorship/ moderation go to an independent forum. There really is nothing else to it and it’s not worth getting upset about.

1 Like

I think its not fair to vent at the mods.

If you truly and seriously want to express your bad feelings towards how elektron has/is handling things, please contact them directly. People often falsely believe this forum = elektron customer support. THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

6 Likes

Passive aggressive fans who take things personally tend to have their way in this kind of environment. I don’t agree with the moderation either but there is nothing I can do apart from leave.

I disagree. The way to make a company move is to make complaints in public, not send them an email.

1 Like