Elektron woes

Can you audition through main outs as a work around?

It’s obvious you weren’t actually reading what I was saying and just chose to attack instead.

I dug into the history a bit more here… the problem is seriously because you want to take unbalanced left and right signals into balanced XLR inputs? How the flying fuck is that Elektrons fault?

1 Like

That’s how it started. I’m doing as instructed by Elektron, and using an insert cable, or a splitter cable, and getting the same result.

edit: I’ve also posted pictures of the two types of splitter cables I’ve tried using. The insert cable in the aux ins, and the y splitter into the XLR. Both yielded the same result.

edit 2: this is what the back of my mixer looks like

I think you’ve found your solution with @AdamJay’s suggestion. Try that cable out. Everything else doesn’t really matter at this point. Hopefully, this will get it working for you.

4 Likes

That makes no sense, it’s not our concern and you’re neither silenced nor complaining about anything wrong in any case if this was even plausible - you’re just demonstrably inflexible about listening to solutions that don’t fit your preferred outcome

You haven’t tried what I posted a month ago - it would be fine in every regard, but even then you display a lack of willing/understanding on this in the posts below - it’d be fine except a modest correction to gain the signal to what you believe you’re missing - but even then it’s all academic, the voltage out could have been any value, you may need to add gain in any case (now there’s a bit more noise that you’ll never notice in all likelihood )

Drop the ring and there’s nothing to ‘phase cancel’ and if there’s no pan after pan is fixed in a few presets then there’s nothing to complain about - you’ve done the best with what you have if the mixer plays ball with an unbalanced feed

3 Likes

You have to record one track at a time!?! Must be awful!

1 Like

In your post you suggest using a splitter. Also, by your own admission as long as it doesn’t pan there is no issue. The problem is that panning is variable in presets, in the browser and on the tracks. You say that I’m ignoring and not trying your suggestion, I’m telling you I tried it (the insert cable into the aux in bipasses the balanced/unbalanced conversion) and had issues. I can hard pan to get full normal signal, but then I run into the issue of a drop in amplitude while monitoring, or the signal completely disappearing depending on the type of sound. For example, a kick dropped substantially in amplitude in the center, while a pad only dropped 3db (normal pan law stuff). Not a workable solution. I suspect, this is because it’s not dropping the ring, as you described, it’s splitting it to another channel, but BEFORE it gets split is where the issue is occuring. I think @AdamJay’s suggestion is better because at least the drop in amplitude would be consistent. I know none of this makes sense theoretically based on what we know and are taught about audio signal but I did practical tests and this is what is happening.

Put a di box in either the left or right signal and phase invert it.

1 Like

So you don’t hear the sounds in the browser out of the main outs? Are you not using the main outs?

Wouldn’t help because the phasing is happening before the signal gets that far. I can flip phase on the mixer and I did that and it didn’t change anything.

I am in front of my AK now and the drop in amplitude really isn’t too extreme for auditioning purposes (I am auditioning out of a single voice output).

You could turn up the track volume just prior to auditioning, to make up for the drop. This is something I usually do anyway, to make the sound stick out a top the others when I am auditioning. Or you could turn it up on your mixer during auditioning, again, for the same reasons.

Another, more drastic option, depending on how large your patch collection is, is to resave the patches panned left. Then they’ll all audition at full amplitude. Either way, I hope we can find a solution that makes the A4 work for you. It’s a great synth.

2 Likes

Most constructive post on this thread <3

and one nice thing I discovered about the Analog Keys, since there is a dedicated knob for sound selection, the track level knob works for adjusting the track level of a sound while still auditioning it from the sound browser.
I wonder if the A4 MKII could do this with a function button or something similar, since the level knob is used for sound selection? If so, no need to set the level higher prior to diving into the sound browser.

1 Like

The cable is identical except the ring is pulled to ground and it floats on mine (unplugged), the dual cable gives you an option to go stereo - that was suggested a month ago - correcting pan on a handful of presets is not a problem worth dwelling on

Oh, I’ve read it all, along with everyone’s replies. I’m not interested in attacking anyone. I’m just letting you know that the problem is with your setup and expectations – not the A4.

if it’s designed as having stereo outs and I use a stereo splitter and there is phase cancellation there is absolutely something wrong with the A4. The workaround that is most sensible that was presented pretty much negates the whole point of having a stereo output in the first place. Also why are you still replying if you have nothing contstructive to say?

sigh it’s not identical because there is still both left and right signal hitting the jack and mixing before getting split on your cable. On his cable the right is not even engaged so there is no chance for any kind of cancellation. Which was the issue I was experiencing that I tried to say several times and people keep ignoring.

If it helps… these are the EXACT cables I am using, now for two years.

1 Like

and one nice thing I discovered about the Analog Keys, since there is a dedicated knob for sound selection, the track level knob works for adjusting the track level of a sound while still auditioning it from the sound browser.

OH MY GOD I wish…

1 Like