Elektron woes

Wouldn’t help because the phasing is happening before the signal gets that far. I can flip phase on the mixer and I did that and it didn’t change anything.

I am in front of my AK now and the drop in amplitude really isn’t too extreme for auditioning purposes (I am auditioning out of a single voice output).

You could turn up the track volume just prior to auditioning, to make up for the drop. This is something I usually do anyway, to make the sound stick out a top the others when I am auditioning. Or you could turn it up on your mixer during auditioning, again, for the same reasons.

Another, more drastic option, depending on how large your patch collection is, is to resave the patches panned left. Then they’ll all audition at full amplitude. Either way, I hope we can find a solution that makes the A4 work for you. It’s a great synth.

2 Likes

Most constructive post on this thread <3

and one nice thing I discovered about the Analog Keys, since there is a dedicated knob for sound selection, the track level knob works for adjusting the track level of a sound while still auditioning it from the sound browser.
I wonder if the A4 MKII could do this with a function button or something similar, since the level knob is used for sound selection? If so, no need to set the level higher prior to diving into the sound browser.

1 Like

The cable is identical except the ring is pulled to ground and it floats on mine (unplugged), the dual cable gives you an option to go stereo - that was suggested a month ago - correcting pan on a handful of presets is not a problem worth dwelling on

Oh, I’ve read it all, along with everyone’s replies. I’m not interested in attacking anyone. I’m just letting you know that the problem is with your setup and expectations – not the A4.

if it’s designed as having stereo outs and I use a stereo splitter and there is phase cancellation there is absolutely something wrong with the A4. The workaround that is most sensible that was presented pretty much negates the whole point of having a stereo output in the first place. Also why are you still replying if you have nothing contstructive to say?

sigh it’s not identical because there is still both left and right signal hitting the jack and mixing before getting split on your cable. On his cable the right is not even engaged so there is no chance for any kind of cancellation. Which was the issue I was experiencing that I tried to say several times and people keep ignoring.

If it helps… these are the EXACT cables I am using, now for two years.

1 Like

and one nice thing I discovered about the Analog Keys, since there is a dedicated knob for sound selection, the track level knob works for adjusting the track level of a sound while still auditioning it from the sound browser.

OH MY GOD I wish…

1 Like

Hadn’t considered that this is different on the A4 MK1 and MK2. I was actually still working in that old A4 MK1 mode, of changing the level first before opening the sound browser. I have to take advantage of this more now!

And I was on the fence about swapping the AK for an A4 MK2, this might help me hold onto the AK. Little things you don’t even think about, and now it’s suddenly a life saver. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I asked you earlier if the L/R outputs were out of phase and you said no, the “problem” was that they were in phase. Why do you just keep repeating the same complaint after it’s already been addressed in depth? What are you hoping to gain?

I’m not switching…

Also you clearly didn’t understand that conversation. That person was saying that it’s not stereo outs on the A4MKII and it’s a balanced output (LOL) phase inverted on one side. I said, if that were the case, I wouldn’t have the issues I’m having. That’s why I said.

Perhaps you should look up the difference between phase inversion and phase cancellation. Might help you understand the discussion a bit more.

edit: also this conversation is starting to go down a positive direction so stop dragging it through the mud.

People have taken time to help you and try to understand your problem. It’s pretty arrogant to be so dismissive. If you want to turn a conversation around, contribute to it positively instead of starting posts with “sigh” or or LOL’ or telling people what you think they should do and then playing the victim when their response is in turn negative. It’s a pretty noxious pattern.

5 Likes

Chiming in late here but to me the problem is obvious, unless I am missing something?
The track outputs Elektron say to use stereo 1/4” cable.
This is where you are getting confused and I can see why.
Even though Elektron call the track outputs a stereo output, they are actually only mono outputs, but are balanced I.e. you can use a 1/4” cable with tip/ring/sleeve.
You seem to be using splitter cables on this balanced mono output, hence the phase problems etc. You can’t split this output into 2 outputs without the problems you are mentioning.
You have 2 options, either use a balanced or unbalanced cable but only from mono to mono only.
You cannot split this mono output with a balanced cable into 2 as you seem to be trying to do.
Use any mono cable, either balanced or unbalanced from each track output and it will solve your problems, just don’t try and split it.
Elektron should actually remove the stereo reference from these outputs, and just call them balanced. Hence the confusion

1 Like

No. They really are stereo voice outputs.
TRS Tip = Left. Ring = Right. Sleeve = Ground.
Accordingly, they are unbalanced.

They allow you to pan the voices. In fact, I used to use my AK as a drum machine often with panned sound locks.
It gave me an effective 10 outputs (4 stereo voice, plus stereo mains), same output count and similar to Analog Rytm. But from four voices, not eight (AR).

7 Likes

Mmm really
Now I’m confused :thinking:

1 Like

I’m afraid this is nonsense on both counts because the right/ring is only ‘engaged’ in one scenario and that’s when it gets mixed with (and pulled) to the ground( S ) of the TS

if you’d read what was written a month ago you’d see that the suggestion was to use TRS and drop the ring ( R ) [not short it] … that way the ring doesn’t go anywhere at all - neither mixed, nor grounded … the only signal leaving the unit if you forget one side of the breakout (or make one as I suggested) is the Left

using a TRS in this context is far wiser than a TS and I think you’ll find that’s what Elektron would recommend - it’s also more useful for stereo captures and will have other uses such as an insert cable

sigh indeed !

5 Likes

If you choose to ignore my practical experience that’s fine but I don’t know how many times I can tell you that I’ve tried this and it doesn’t work before you understand.

I actually do understand phase inversion and phase cancellation. Phase cancellation occurs when two signals are out of phase with one another. So they’re related subjects. Maybe you should take your own advice.

Also, it’s more than a little ironic that you keep telling me not to participate in this thread when you were literally complaining about other people trying to “silence” your complaints earlier in the same thread.

To be clear, I’m genuinely interested in whether there’s an actual issue with the individual outputs on the A4 MKII since I’m considering buying one. This thread has been useful because so far, it seems to confirm that there’s no hardware issue, but at least one user finds the stereo outputs confusing.

1 Like