Elektron as first device to make music

I’m looking for some opinions. I played around making electronic music a little when I was younger then got discouraged because I hated everything i made. I also got a bunch of gear and had no clue how to use it all so that didn’t help. I gave up.

Fast forward years later, I still need some sort of creative/music outlet… basically the itch is still there. But I don’t want to sit behind the computer because i do that for work. So I thought maybe there’s some magical hardware device that I could use to make entire tracks on… something that would be fun to use, more of an instrument.

At first I thought the electribe might be a good option to test the waters. The shop where i live didn’t have one to try but they did have both the Rytm and Digitakt. I loved the sounds from both but had no fucking clue how to use them. I sat there hopelessly hitting buttons.

I like the look of the digitakt and don’t know that I really need analog synthesis or the extra complications that the larger Rytm might bring.

• Would the digitakt be easily picked up by someone new to using hardware like this? or am I better learning on an electribe?

• I’ve read a few comments about it not being ideal for making entire tracks on, is it really more for loops and improv/live performance?

Is there another Eletron that’s better suited in my case?

i love the idea/sound of some of these analog synths but just don’t know i have the patience, time, technical inclination to really get into them in order to create sounds i’m actually happy with. So the more sampling driven route seems better, I’m also much more rhythm and figure if i went with a digitakt, i could always get a little analog synth later to plug in…

2 Likes

Go for OT MKI .my first gear. It can only be something else that you made before It will explain you a lot of thing … And colors of sounds are crazy in this machine (my first machine) . But sorry if I’ve no realease :slight_smile:

I started with the OT, but really struggled to understand how to get my own workflow with all the pieces I understood at this time.
Getting the AR was eye opener : the workflow on the Analog series is rather straightforward, at first, and you can get deeper. I love these machines.
But DT is from far the most immediate Elektron. For someone that don’t want to bother with synthesis too much, this is the tool that makes filters and envelopes more comprehensive.

I believe DT is a good, or even the ideal first instrument for electronic music.

2 Likes

take a look at the numerous tutorials on youtube.
look at older devices, like monomachine and machinedrum too
for monomachine look for

LEM is a great artist in electronic music and does amazing things with the MnM

Then there is the Machinedrum UW

This guy shows what can be done with the MD

The digitakt is a great sounding device but as long as elektron does not fix the known bugs I would not consider it…
Although the MD and MnM are older they are still valid devices worth being considered.

I do not mention the Octatrack which is great as well but is a bit more complicated :slight_smile:

Cuckoo explains the OT very good and if you feel save after the tutorial consider it too…
Ignore the OT MK2 it is too flawed and too expensive compared to the MK1… They are practically the same in a new case and some extra buttons and workflow shortcuts…

An Electribe cannot be compared to the elektron devices… Nice to start with but soon you will want more…

The Digitakt is a great little machine to get started with. I would combine it with a small affordable “one knob per parameter” synth that can be controlled over MIDI such as the Roland SE-02 or a Roland SH-01A with the K-25m keyboard module, a Korg Monologue, or a Roland System-1.

Adding a synth to the Digitakt means you have something convenient to create new sounds with and to sample from. Having something with a keyboard is also nice because it’s easier to play, and because it helps you figure out scales and chords.

You don’t need a mixer for this; you can connect the outputs of your synth to the inputs on the Digitakt and it will mix the incoming signal with its own sounds (if you turn the monitoring level up).

The reason to get a synth with a “one knob per parameter” interface as your first one instead of a “deep” one with a display and a lot of parameter pages and menu options is that having all parameters laid out in front of you makes it much easier for you as a beginner to learn about synthesis and to create your own sounds.

The reason to get a synth that allows its parameters to be controlled over MIDI instead of something like a Minibrute is that this will allow you to not only sequence notes on your synth from the Digitakt, but also parameter changes. You probably won’t do that initially, but it will be nice to be able to do so once you learn more about the Digitakt.

Both the SH-01A and the System-1 have a very straightforward architecture and a nice classic “Rolandesque” filter. They also both allow you to do up to 4-note polyphony.

The SE-02 is a bit more complex to get into, but a good choice if you’re more into a classic “Moogish” sound. This one is also a bit more expensive.

The Monologue is a bit more “out there” and can sound a bit more “modern” and “weird”. It does has the nicest keys.

Would the digitakt be easily picked up by someone new to using hardware like this? or am I better learning on an electribe?

Both will require you to read the manual and to take the time to learn them. I’ve owned both, and I don’t think any one of them is more or less hard to get into than the other.

I’ve read a few comments about it not being ideal for making entire tracks on, is it really more for loops and improv/live performance?

The Digitakt have no “song mode” which is available on the bigger Elektron boxes. This song mode is rather limited however; it’s just a list of pattern the device will play through.

If you want to arrange full tracks where you can press “Play” and then sit back and listen to all the pattern changes, track mutes, filter sweeps, and other parameter automation that you’ve programmed in, then you should be using a DAW on a computer and not a hardware-only setup.

If you want to create full tracks using a hardware-only setup, you will always have to perform your tracks in the sense that you set up pattern chains, change patterns, mute tracks or voices, and tweak knobs. That’s the whole point of using hardware!

Is there another Eletron that’s better suited in my case?

I’ve owned most Elektron boxes, and I can’t really recommend the Octatrack, Analog Four, or the Rytm for a beginner.

The Octatrack is rather complex, and makes the most sense on its own when you’re using samples and loops you’ve prepared elsewhere. It’s also great for live resampling and loop mangling in a larger setup.

The Analog Four is a pretty deep analogue synth and sequencer which can be hard for a beginner to get into in terms of sound design. As a single device, having only four voices might be limiting unless your music is rather minimal or if you like a challenge.

The Rytm is an awesome sounding drum machine and sample player, but you can’t actually sample on the MkI and it remains to be seen if the sampling workflow will be as nice and direct on the MkII as it is on the Digitakt.

3 Likes

The A4 [mkii] would be a great way to get into music gear.
The issue with the samplers, as the Rytm is that you easily get into stupid soundpacks collecting mode (as plugins collecting) instead of focusing on what the instrument can do.
In the end all Elektron boxes sound very similar.

1 Like

What @t said. The DT is great for making entire songs and one learns to appreciate the limitations. It helps me to distill my music down to essentials. No loose ends, you have to make each sound count since you only have 8 tracks. It taught me a lot about sound design and gave me a more minimalistic approach to making music.

I know you said you want to avoid using a computer, but I’d do that as a first step. Download a cheap DAW and some free synths; spend a little bit of time learning more about synthesis and sampling using the digital models.That’ll give you a better idea what kind of sounds you want to make, and what you should buy. I have a Digitakt, and I love it, but I probably wouldn’t have bought it if I hadn’t already used Renoise (computer sampler) and worked out how much can be done with samples and what I like to do with them. You, on the other hand, might decide that what you really like is juicy vintage synth sounds, which would be a completely different purchasing decision. It’s not really a decision someone else can make for you, which is why it’s good that you can try a lot of things (or at least decent emulations of them) for free on a laptop.

1 Like

hei, my suggestion is to go with your feeling. If you like what you are hearing, go for it!

But you should give yourself time to learn.

This is what I can suggest. It took about 3 months for me to make something useful with Elektron boxes. I’m a slow learner but that time was not wasted as I evolved at the same time musically. It can be a journey like this and I have enjoyed every step of it. I still do. For me this is what music is all about - enjoying my (and other peoples) creativity.

Digitakt is by far the most beginner-friendly Elektron box around. It’s a sampler so you would also need to buy/steal/borrow additional variety of sound sources. You can buy expensive analog synths for that or you can use some smartphone apps. Whatever. It does not matter. Here is one track that I did only with the gain noise sample of Digitakt A/D converter. I have done worst. I have sampled xerox copy machines. I have sampled short-wave radios. I have recorded ambient noise in metro cars and fast-food restaurants. I have ripped of youtube conversations. It does not matter. Decide with your ears and do whatever. Just keep going. Best of luck and please send me an invitation to this big ass international festival where you will have your gig in 10 years! https://soundcloud.com/t3hh/noise-study-20170716

3 Likes

Perhaps they can make similar sound in the end. But surely a Monomachine sounds different from an A4 which sounds different from a Rytm which sounds different from an Octatrack (unless you feed it with samples from the Rytm).

And although the Elektron sequencing concept is similar from instrument to instrument, I find the workflow to differ from machine to machine. The Octatrack with samples, scenes and crossfader, the A4 with performance knobs and subtractive synthesis, the Rytm with scenes, performance, samples and analog drum synthesis.

It’s hard to give advice. I have owned every Elektron instrument. My favorites are A4 MKII (Analog keys until two weeks ago) and Rytm.

I think you need to try them out. If you like the sound. If you like the workflow.

Save $400-$500 and buy an electribe 2 synthesizer.
You can make entire songs on it
It is battery powered and portable
16 audio tracks or 16 midi tracks.
It can be used as an effects unit
Skills learned on it can be translated to elektron machines
Great for learning synthesis techniques

It sounds like you need something immediate and fun, and you are not looking for professional gear.
My suggestion would be to get an electribe, play with it for year and when you start running into limitations that are keeping you from expressing yourself, upgrade.

I moved from an electribe to the digitakt this year, they are super similar

4 Likes

Digitakt is good to get your toes in the water. It‘s not without limitations, but it‘ll help you to figure out your next steps. DTs are beginning to show up on the 2nd hand market. Alternatively look for a used Rytm MK1. Samples played through that filter can sound sublime and in my opinion it‘s the most straightforward Elektron machine to make full tracks on, plus it already has a working Overbridge implementation which helps a great deal to get your stuff in a DAW.

My 2 cents:
Grab a DT, it’s a higher quality product than the electribe and will get your foot in the door learning Elektrons if you want to go deeper in the future. If you got the Electribe and like it there’s a good chance you’ll end up wanting an Elektron later and have to learn another method, I say skip that step…
Usually you get a 30 day return window, if the DT doesn’t click with you in that period return it for the electribe or something else… If it seems super easy and you want more, return it for a Rytm…

1 Like

I also agree with this
Love my digi, waaaaaay more than the electribe.
But I have to honor it with all the things I learned from it and from what was wrong with it.

@matthew if you have no problem buying a digitakt, it is definetly superior gear

1 Like

Have you considered a Novation Circuit?

2 Likes

Totally agree. See a lot of people recommending DT but if you like synthesis then dot think that’s the way to go. Start simple and easy with minimal outlay. Then when you know what you like you’ll make more informed decisions. If you have a computer get a DAW and mess about. Soon you’ll realise what you like then look for that in hardware.

1 Like

I thought I’d quickly chime in with some advice too . .

Something you said resonated with me: you got discouraged because you had everything you made.

I can think of 2 or 3 occasions when I felt in a similar way about my stuff; I mean to the point of just ditching it and getting another hobby. There are weekly occurrences when I think what I’m doing is a load of junk.

I started this hobby 14 years ago; not with the intention of ruling Ibiza or giving up my day job but with the goal of creating some techno stuff that was generally good to listen or dance to. The first 10 years of that time I would say I didn’t really achieve that goal. However, I learned a hell of a lot as also has great fun (most times).

I guess what I’m getting at is that the tools you use don’t matter too much beyond not being so complicated that the learning curve of making music becomes beyond your grasp. I started with Reason. Then Ableton Live, which has been my go to for the last 10 years. Within the last year and a bit Elektron boxes have invaded my music room. If so this arrived at the same time, I would have given up myself; it’s too big a mountain to climb.

Get yourself one thing too make music with; computer based software is a great place to start.

Accept that much of the stuff you buy at the beginning may well turn out to be unnecessary; insecurity and hope will often encourage you to part with your money.

Accept that much of what you make at the beginning will not be particularly good especially if you compare yourself to those who do it for a living.

However, everything you do you will learn from; perhaps this will only be apparent months or years later. But making music is not easy but it is really enjoyable, even the shit stuff.

Good luck.

1 Like

DT has a great MIDI sequencer that you could use to grow your setup. And its size and price make it an ideal gateway device for the Elektron workflow. Even just adding a volca bass would scratch the synthesis itch and give you lots of capability for minimum investment. Great work has been made with far less.

Things that are simplified on it , like lack of kits, slide trigs, and song mode, for some are hinderances. But as a first hardware device, these omissions make the experience more streamlined and productive.

For making entire tracks, it is capable, but the workflow requires a realtime arrangement, since there is no song mode.
It’s no big deal really, the Beatles had no song mode either and they made out alright. :wink:

1 Like

Check this thread to see (hear) what the DT is capable of: Your Digitakt-only “Productions” - do you have some?! ;-) - I don’t have one myself, but from what I’ve seen it’s probably one of the more immediate Elektrons. I would also (from experience) skip the Electribe and go directly with Elektron - you’re probably going to end up here anyway!

1 Like

Thanks. Really appreciate all the solid advice. I guess it’s mostly backed up my feeling to go with the DT. But understanding there are a few little drawbacks.

Haven’t looked at the novation stuff. Will check it out. Re: electribe, What got my interested in it was actually this youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwmUBUmNtU

Re: just using a DAW instead, I’m thinking that could be a next step right if i then wanted to take things further (i.e the lack of song mode thing)?, but at the moment i just need less time in front of a screen, not more. And limitations are probably good at this point.

I like the idea of then maybe getting an analog synth that I could plug into the DT down the track. Also the idea of recording my own samples via a microphone. The minilogue looks pretty nice. Funnily/or unfunnily the Studio Electronic SE1 was one of the bits of kit I purchased back in the day along with a bunch of other stuff… and sold. And lost mucho $$ on. Ah the pain.

So i don’t want to rush into that side of it yet. I can get a DT here without breaking the bank ao that and some headphones will be it for a little while.

1 Like