Customising LCD display

Anyone here who knows how to get a different lighting or style for the Octa?
Here is an example:
http://bcaudio.tumblr.com/post/18358432202/elektron-octatrack

Would be nice to read some info. Thx
Matt

Hi,

Regarding customizing the screen of any LCD screen what you need is a different LED color to iluminate the screen instead of the default white and a Polarized film.

I´ve got an article in my website if you are interested in finding out more :slight_smile:
http://www.inspektorgadjet.com/inverted-screen/

I haven´t analised propperly the OT but it´s something relatively easy to do…

By my personal experience modyfing Gameboy DMG´s (the old school brick one) is that the LCD screen works by a Polarized film and a LED Light in this case. The Old Gameboy doesnt have a Light originally so this process is much more complicated…

In the Octatrack should be just a matter of changing the LED colour and buying a Polarized film of the right side for the screen in order to invert it to negative…

If not a Hex Inverter chip could be used to achieve the same effect of inverting the graphics… As you can read in my article the effect of inverting is that you get higher contrast in the image too…

Hope it helps! :slight_smile:
All the best!

Hi Multiman!
Thx for answering and that very nice website you got there. Now I feel like buying a Gameboy and modding the s**t out of that thing. But I would never forgive myself if I hurt my sweet baby Octatrack. I hope to find a real pro who changes the LED in my Octa.
If I find such a service here in Krautistan I’ll send you a message.
Thx again, have a nice day.

hmm yes I would love more contrast, you can change it on the MnM but that’s an inside job, so it maybe the same with the octa.
it looks pretty “faded” imo

okay

old Gameboy?

check…

clear plastic one too!

better check that web site

im wondering if just some type of film overlay might help?

cheers

http://www.winstar.com.tw/products_detail_ov.php?lang=ru&ProID=48

Thx, but looks like I need a translator ^^

http://www.winstar.com.tw/products_detail_ov.php?lang=ru&ProID=48

“lang=en” …

1 Like

Thx, just found the language options. Need new glasses :dizzy_face:

Bumping this old thread to ask anyone who has done a LCD swap on the Octatrack is it a 5v screen or 3.3v?

1 Like

Since nobody seems keen on sharing info… I measured 3.3V between VSS and VDD.
CS1 also measured 3.3V while CS2 seemed to be floating. Not sure why nobody is willing to share what they’ve found.

While I haven’t removed the display yet to check the exact version it seems like the current LCD in the Octatrack MKI is a winstar WG12864A or WG12864AB(3.3V option).

Not much available in OLED’s with the exact pin layout or mounting size. The closest I could find doesn’t match the pin layout or mounting holes. CS1 and reset would need to be swapped but it’s still the same 8bit parallel interface as well as voltage so it would work with some custom mounting and cables (instead of soldering directly to the pin header). It’s just swapping 2 pins and making a mount for it.

Here’s the closest active OLED I could find:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NHD-2.7-12864WDW3/NHD-2.7-12864WDW3-ND

Slightly smaller but should fill the opening for the LCD. I’ll probably try it and make a new thread.

8 Likes

Actually, while this is necro-ed, does anybody know the part number for the OLED in the Octatrack MKII?

Okay so the LCD just arrived, it looks like the bezel should be completely covered by the window (since the OLED display is slightly smaller). Now I just have to make a crossover adapter cable to swap 2 pins and design a 3D printed mount to hold it in the correct position.

If all works I’ll make an adapter PCB to mount it on.

I’ll post results here or on a new thread

18 Likes

great work, appreciate the info and yeah, please keep us updated on your progress!

1 Like

I’ll make sure to update you guys on this for sure. I tried to go with something that was an “active part” so it would be readily available. If it works and I make PCB’s, I’ll either make extra and sell them (for a fair price) and/or make the PCB files available to everyone.

I have some other mod ideas that I’ll spill if they come to fruition.

Hopefully I’ll find some time tonight to do some work on the OLED tests.

6 Likes

I made some progress tonight. Mostly just removed the original LCD and cleaned up the holes.

It looks like my educated guess on the LCD was correct fortunately :slight_smile:

I also stripped and crimped one side of the 20 jumper.

I’m at a good stopping point for the evening, more details coming tomorrow.

Oh! Gotta hide the screws and knobs or my cat will steal them!

11 Likes

Also, encoder A is acting up so I’ll swap that while it’s open. I think this was still under warranty but I usually just fix stuff (or break it, not as often) myself anyway.

4 Likes

I really apreciate the effort you put into this. Ol’OT getting some attention. mine would love a shone oled, too.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Nice work @Airyck I no longer have my mkI but I appreciate the effort you are putting in documenting your mod. Best of luck, although you look like you got this :thup:

2 Likes

This is great - thanks for sharing the process, @Airyck!

1 Like