Octatrack Mk.1 Botched Screen Replacement

Hello, everyone!

I need some expertise, to assist in a botched screen replacement on my Mk.1
Here’s what happened…
I purchased a new LED to replace the original, as my vision is terrible, and the person I purchased from, stated the job of actually replacing the screen would be relatively simple, as minimal soldering experience was only needed.
I do not have a lot of experience with soldering, but I was assured it was a straightforward job of desoldering the old, and then soldering the new in place!
I done my homework and attempted to give it a try - I failed!
I could not desolder the old screen, and in attempting to take off the old screen, I’ve since been informed that I’ve knocked off a resistor.
I handed the unit over to a tech, who was pretty astonished that anyone with at very least, moderate soldering experience, would even attempt such a job?

You have no idea how much I regret listening to the little voice in my head, telling me that I could do this…

The tech managed to get the new screen fitted, but he’s telling me that the back light isn’t coming on, and the screen is very dim.
He’s also asked me to find out what the first resistor to the right of U2 on the main board is?
He’s informed me he can replace it if he knows what part it is, but he has asked me to reach out also about the backlight not working, and here I am reaching to you guys.

I’m trying desperately not to send this unit in for ‘official’ repair, as it’s going to cost a good bit, so if any of you guys could help us out, I would be eternally in your debt.

Kindest regards.
Stephen

Just contact elektron and buy a replacement UI board.
Unplug the old one, plug in the new one. No soldering.

I did it. Was cheaper and easier than DIY repair.

3 Likes

Unfortunately MKI UI boards are no longer available at Elektron. Got a reply from them a couple of weeks ago.

Damn. I shoulda bought two. Or three even. Ah well.

Same…

damn, desoldering stuff is a sight harder than soldering things. I am surprised anyone told you desoldering a screen was easy, as it can be a right pain.

:frowning:

Backlight is usually on some of the pins on the screen, so I would say either: the pins on the new screen don’t match so it’s not getting power (seems unlikely if they were selling it as a replacement screen?)

OR

the resistor is for the backlight and without it it’s not connected.

OR

you damaged the PCB trying to get the screen out and there’s no connection for the backlight

haven’t seen a pinout for the OT Mk1 screen yet. I wonder if Elektron would be prepared to share it if they have it (at your own risk) or at least tell you the value of U2

maybe try here:

need to join the group to see the comments, but can at least confirm the screen pinout? (or did you already have that?)

some stuff including pinout on the original screen here too:

Power for the backlight seems to be on Pins 19 & 20

Guys, you are absolutely awesome!
I had a feeling that the missing transistor was the culprit for the dimmed screen, so if anyone can help identifying ‘said’ transistor (first right after U2), please let me know, and my tech can get on this.

Kindest regards.
Stephen

Haven’t you asked Elektron about the defective resistor?

I opened a ticket today, but all turned out well… just got an email from our tech here to say he got it fixed!!

unnamed

3 Likes

…note also the melted button - an eternal reminder to NEVER even attempt soldering again…

BTW, I’ve been informed that the actual screen does not look like this in person - it’s black on white!!

Where did u get that screen? Is it the guy on Ebay?

Sometimes things get botched.

Reverb, but I suspect same person as eBay.

1 Like

This is my post in this group :wink:

1 Like

Hello. I actually already seen your post (great work).
I really can’t comment on any of the work that was eventually done on my unit, as our tech took over, and knows a hell of a lot more than I, but kudos to you for your own work.