Considering a new keyboard

Hi there!

I’m happy with my current setup (Mainly MDUW mkII, MnM mkII, A4 mkII, AH mkII, Alesis ion, microwave xt, tg77, XV5080, S2800, lyra 8 and some fx). I mainly use all this for ambient or techno ambient projects.

Though, I’m considering changing my main synth/master keyboard, the Ion. It had the famous jfet problem. It has been repaired and most of the encoders have been replaced, so it’s working like a charm now.

But, it’s starting to get old now, with a 20 years old technology. So, I wanted to find something close (which is, for me, 4 octave keyboard, at least 8 voice polyphony, 3 osc, lots of filters, high definition encoders) but younger and better (at least considering the keyboard).

My second hand price target is around 800€, so, everything is pointing towards the hydrasynth keyboard. What do you think of this? Are there other options to consider?

Thank you!

1 Like

Reading your post, and i immediately thought Hydrasynth Keys. If you have any specific questions on that, ask away.

At least though to do the due diligence on your quest, i just posted about the Roland Gaia 2 being on sale. That’s 3 octaves, but has up to 22 note polyphony, is very knob per function, and you could get it new. Gives you grounds for comparison.

5 Likes

Hello and thank you for your reply!

I’m not interested by the gaia 2. Probably because the gaia 1 was like a downgrade version of the SH32 (which I had and sold due to some of its annoying limitations, like monophonic when sync, like bad filter, etc…).

Do you have some tracks where I can hear your use of the hydrasynth?

The Korg Prologue is bang on your budget second hand. Great synth for the money.

3 Likes

Same.

With this budget, there’s also one of the Modal (Argon, Cobalt).

3 Likes

And those have a Fatar keybed as well! That’s definitely a plus.

3 Likes

There’s also the Digitone keys, excellent keyboard, fatar too. And a great fm synth.

6 Likes

I’ve thought about those interesting synths. I don’t know why, they didn’t convince me as main keyb synth. More as second module synth.

I have forgotten about it! Thank you!

It’s certainly great. I already have a TG77 considering fm. Though, I keep it in mind!

Have a look for a second hand Roland JDXA… it’s an absolute bargain sleeper synth and makes for a fantastic midi controller (you can blend 8 ext synths with it in any combination).

It also has its own 4-part fully analogue section (4 mono parts or one 4 note poly engine) plus another 4-part VA plus Supernatural engine with 64-note polyphony.

1 Like

Personally I went with the Take 5 when I was looking for a “main synth” but I’m not a player per se, just a knob twister and sequencer user. It kind of made sense to me because it ticks many boxes and sounds good. But yeah, even used, it will be above 1000 eurodollars.

These days we are lacking proper VA synths above the entry level.

1 Like

Have you considered a MIDI keyboard such as the Novation 61SL mk3?

Nice thing is you can map the controls (yum faders!) for up to 8 instruments, easily switching from one to the other. Really opens some boxes like the AH+ that can lack some direct controls…
It can also do CV.
The sequencer and arp don’t replace Elektron sequencer but can lead to very interesting stuff.
And you can e.g. program different chords on the pads and play them instead of keys…
You can also split the keyboard to play several synths at the same time.
I personally prefer a setup with a good master keyboard and several desktop/module synths I can control from there.

No MPE though, guess it’s for the mk4 that should come some time soon, as the SL mk3 is from 2018…
Anyway, pretty solid keyboard.

3 Likes

N’thing the Hydrasynth Keys, or any Hydra really.

I was sold on the specs from day one, but playing one at B&H in NYC made it an insta-buy for me. I also have the Novation 61SL Mk3 that @LyingDalai recommends. That is a nice 61-key controller, but the HSK fits more readily into my work space, and poly AT and the massive touch strip are easy to use with the HS engine.

2 Likes

…polyaftertouch is a must, these days…

hydra has it…digitone keys has it…dunno who else has it, but hey, don’t get any new keybedded synth without polyaftertouch…

1 Like

When was PolyAT added to Digitone Keys?

…right from it’s get go…

Are you sure?

Source

The DeepMind might be maligned in some circles (eye roll) but it is a damn good synth. The Studiologic Sledge ain’t bad either. Both a few years older than what you might be looking for, but both come in under your budget, especially used. I enjoyed both when I owned them.

1 Like

I’d say MPE, then.
But to me, making better use of what I already have comes in higher priority.

1 Like

Certainly, but a little bit out of my price limit. And, no poly AT.

The take 5 looks great, but too much money for me. To me, the hydra is a VA above the entry level. Don’t you think?

I don’t like the concept of a midi keyboard. I prefer to have a synth which can be used as a controller. At work, I have komplete kontrol. It’s ok, nothing more, and I’ll ever think I’ve lost one synth.

And, after month/years of using it, how do you feel about it? Still excited, or has it lessened?

Concerning deepmind, only 2 waveforms on osc 1, 1 waveform on osc 2. So, no! And concerning the sledge, I think I’d keep my Ion.

Of course! But after using my Ion for +/-20 years, and needing aftertouch to gain in expressiveness, I think it’s time to change…

2 Likes

Maybe a used Nord Lead 2x or 3 or Wave? Small synths with a good synth engine… no PAT but I am still not convinced that it is necessary. Depends on how good one is as keyboard player…