Arp Odessey Module or Moog Minitaur

Been wanting a bass heavy synth to go with my Digitakt. The Karp module and/or the Moog Minitaur looks like the best to me. Which would you choose?

I like the small footprint of the Moog Minitaur but prefer the options on control with the Arp better.

I as well. Thatā€™s what makes this descision so hard. The quality of bass is another huge factor. Is the Minitaur ā€˜deeperā€™ and more ā€˜solidā€™ than the karp?

Never heard/played with the Arp but can you create program presets on the Arp? It is hella cool being able to change patch for every step on the Minitaur.

Something to consider anyway

Oh, looked it up - no cc control, no patches, which sort of removes a bit of the fun of sequencing it with the Digitakt I guess?

Well thatā€™s a bummer.

The arp is an amazing sounding synth with so much versatility. Iā€™d recommend the arp for sure.

2 Likes

Depends on the type of bass you are looking for, but for that deep round warm bass maybe the Moog Minitaurā€¦I find the Arp great for wilder, less tamed sounds.

Also if I may throw one into the mix, I think the Dreadbox Erebus is wonderful for bass and the latest iteration of it is great value-for-money. Have a listen if you can.

1 Like

You get a wide pallet of 70s goodness with the karp/boog combo.

i mean, on the other hand, the Moog sounds amazing.

:slight_smile:
i dunno, maybe the arp does too, but the magic of being able to sequence everything on the Minitaur via CC AND change patch on every trig is kinda special.

I have the arp its amazing but i would suggest the Moog, it has instant gratification and sound awesome aswell - hear it in the video sequenced from the digitakt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ2d5spG2Ow

For bass, the Moog Minitaur wins. For sonic exploration the Arp is the clear winner. I had so much fun today test driving out the Arp Odyssey and the hands on switches and dials are way more fun than menu diving on the Elektrons. Since I already have a Moog, I would get the Arp hands down. Darn it- I want the MS-20 as well such a great synth. Have you considered the MS-20? That does bass well.

I have a hard time recommending the Minitaur over the Odyssey, simply because the Odyssey is just so frigginā€™ good. but if itā€™s bass youā€™re after, the Minitaur seems to be the winner.

Iā€™d still suggest getting an Odyssey though.

1 Like

mmmm i dont care for the Moog Minitaur

I am debating Odessa module versus behringer model d at the moment.
Did briefly consider the Minitaur but for some reason not so exciting.
Tending towards the Ody. Just sounds so rough and textured when pushed.

What is a bass heavy synth? Nothing sounds like the minitaur due to its unique vcos. But it is a bass synth so doesnā€™t make sense to compare it full range synthsā€¦

Never thought of the patch change with cc, another goodness of their effort to keep on improving the firmware, good on moog!

Between the two, Iā€™d go with the Oddy. The Minitaur sounds great for long, held bass notes, dramatic washes like ā€œTom Sawyerā€, and drones, but something is off about it for more uptempo stuff. Donā€™t like how it sounds here:

It would take less effort to make an Oddy sound good for uptempo sequencing - Kraftwerk proved that decades ago.

1 Like

Guys, the arp odyssey can do bass REALLY well too! I think at the end of the day you should figure out which style of sounds is more suiting to your music? The arp has 3 filters which gives you a lot of diversity. Filter 2 is a ladder filter so it gives you that kind of moog sound. I find myself using filter 3 most often which sounds like it has a bit more resonance. The arp is great for wide detuned basses, slap bass style bass, synced bass and leads, bleeps and bloops with the sample and hold, and lots of other sounds.

I think the ability to CC preset changes with the minitaur is a pretty cool feature however! Canā€™t really go wrong with either choice.

1 Like

I have to add that Iā€™m mainly speaking as the owner of a white face vintage odyssey; the one with the 12db/oct filter. Iā€™ve never played the Korg one and itā€™s been years since Iā€™ve played one with the Moog filter. but the 12db filter (filter 1 on the Korg) is not as bass heavy as a Moog ladder filter. excellent at other stuff and can do bass well, but it wouldnā€™t be what Iā€™d go to first for bass.

1 Like

Yup, Iā€™ve heard quite a bit of great bass work done with an Oddy.

This reminds me of a discussion elsewhere about Taurus/Minitaur vs. 303 for acid house. Yes, it was quite entertaining and hilarious, after the Taurus/Minitaur fanatic started telling random anecdotes about being at a Rush concert in 1978 or something and other off-topic rambles; very much an in-the-pub conversation as the drinks start to take their toll.