Analog Rytm and Digitone into Octatrack?

I’m looking into the Octatrack these days. I’m currently using the Digitone and the Analog Rytm quite extensively and I enjoy this new hands-on, better sounding hardware setup but I’m missing the cool sample manipulation, stuttering and glitching that my software effects use to do.

I can run both DN and AR separately into OT right? And then mangle them into oblivion? :star_struck:
Of course I’ll also use it as a sampler. You can do great stuff with it right?

Or should I wait for Overbridge and then run my machines into Live for mangling there?

Now that’s a matter of preference. But the OT can certainly handle the two stereo ins for realtime FX, sampling, re-arranging on the fly, looping… Lot’s of stuff.

From my POV - OT is hands-on, realtime and part of the Elektron ecology.
Ableton Live is versatile, gives plenty of access to detailed editing and helps building linear arrangements.

4 Likes

You will also be able to use octatrack to midi modulate your rytm and digitone and will be able to expand your lfo capabilities since both machines don’t have much lfo modulation of their own, octatrack is also pretty good at sampling perfect loops that you can later arrange inside of ableton, don’t get into all the dawles hype but also don’t ever go for something that hasn’t been released yet like overbridge that s my advice

3 Likes

Thanks guys.
Since the OT has those two stereo inputs it seems perfect in a live situation to manipulate the inputs of both the DN and AR and play with effects. And then create new stuff from the resampling…
Should be pretty awesome for an electronic live gig, right?

1 Like

Yes.

Similar instruments… although not yet very heavy on the OT functionality.

That’s exactly what I do! My Rytm and Digitone both go into my OT, which is my master brain. The OT can send out pattern change commands that makes my Rytm mirror the pattern changes on the OT. Digitone follows the Rytm. Works great and tons of fun to mess around with the LFOs, FX and scenes on the Octa :smiley:

2 Likes

Not only add fx but once you’ve sampled you can do things like change rate, pitch, reverse, slice, etc…, the material from the source synths… You can have these type of audio manipulations programmed ahead of time, so you can sample at anytime even while the sequencer is going and immediately have the audio sliced and rearranged, reversed, etc… Or just simply loop tracks from the synths so you can change their patterns to have more than one pattern or track going from each, the sampled one and the live one. Use the fader to fade/mix between all the variations/combos…

3 Likes

Oh dear that does sound fantastic! I can imagine there must be so much fun and creative stuff to do.

There are quite a number of cool OT videos doing IDM/Electronica/Ambient which is my thing.
You are very welcome to post persuasive OT videos here :grinning:

Ordered!
My lucky day! :sunny:
Looking much forward to using this wonder machine :star_struck:

What happens when you play digitone 48 in octatrack 44.1 ?

I’d say that depends on your playing skills :wink:

good one, but you understand my question … how is it possible to play in 48 into a machine that works in 44.1 ?

cause it converts the signal to 44.1 :wink:

3 Likes

damned ! the octatrack is smart :slight_smile:

The digitone outputs line level analog audio, not digital audio.

5 Likes

That makes sense yes.

Jeez this thing is awesome! It brings a whole new dimension to the Digitone.

Indeed!

I’m still quite new to the OT…
I have been running the DN into OT realtime and it would be cool if I could reverse parts of the signal. Do I have to sample a piece first before I can reverse any of it? I mean, technically I should be able to reverse some of the first slices once they have been recorded to the buffer. I guess that isn’t possible right?

Yes.

Just checked : I confirm it’s possible. :wink:
You can pitch up the slices after their recording, in realtime recording.
When it doesn’t work properly you can try to increase micro timing and / or disable timestrech.

4 Likes

Wow, It is actually possible even without pitching or turning timestretch off!
I have a trig on step 1 and then a lock trig (or trigless trig) on step 5 with rate set to -64 and it perfectly reverses the previous slice from there :smiley:

2 Likes